Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
FX187

Subtitles constantly losing synchronization

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:46 am

Hey, I have this annoying issue, happens with some series, I start playing an episode and subs are fine, but with the time they star appearing earlier and earlier.
I guess this is due they are sync'ed for a video with different FPS rate, right?
Anyways, is there any tool I can use to resync them with my video files?

Funchalense
Site Admin

Re: Subtitles constantly losing synchronization

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Hey, I have this annoying issue, happens with some series, I start playing an episode and subs are fine, but with the time they star appearing earlier and earlier.
I guess this is due they are sync'ed for a video with different FPS rate, right?
You can use subtitle edit or subtitle workshop-

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/
http://subworkshop.sourceforge.net

FX187

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:45 pm

You can use subtitle edit or subtitle workshop-

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/
http://subworkshop.sourceforge.net
Thanks but how do I determine for what FPS rate the sub is created?
Assuming that's the issue.

scooby007
Site Admin

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Most uploaded subtitles state what FPS they are. In Windows, right click, Properties and the Details tab to determine what FPS the video file is (in VLC: By clicking on Tools >>> Codec information). Then change the FPS of the srt to match. Most .srt's are usually 23.976 FPS. Maybe your videos are 25 FPS or 29.70 FPS. If both srt and video file are the same FPS and subs gradually go out of sync, it could indicate that the video file could have some deleted scenes.

Read the following topic for subtitle related programs that may be beneficial: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2881#p9206

FX187

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:45 pm

Most uploaded subtitles state what FPS they are. In Windows, right click, Properties and the Details tab to determine what FPS the video file is (in VLC: By clicking on Tools >>> Codec information). Then change the FPS of the srt to match. Most .srt's are usually 23.976 FPS. Maybe your videos are 25 FPS or 29.70 FPS. If both srt and video file are the same FPS and subs gradually go out of sync, it could indicate that the video file could have some deleted scenes.
t=2881#p9206
Current videos I'm watching are 23.98, for the subs I don't have any info, just windows standard attributes in the details tab (size, path, owner, etc)

oss
Site Admin

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:30 am

yes, so change it from 25 FPS to 23.98 and see what happens. Destination FPS will be 23.98 and source one - you have to find out by experimenting

FX187

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:17 am

Tried it but didn't work, the desync is the same or worse not totally sure.
What other common FPS rate is there?

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:01 am

29.70 FPS. You can try different combinations, just play with it and you will find the FPS

dont forget upload synced subtitles, if you are happy with them

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:45 am

It's also possible that is not (only) a matter of different frame rate. Sometimes its a matter of other frame rate and/or a constant shift.

Instead of messing about with all different FPS ratio possibilities, you can try using the socalled point sync method:
- You determine the correct start of the first line.
- You determine the correct start of the last line.
- Now, in Subtitle Edit, go Synchronisation > Point Sync...
- Double click on line 1 > Enter the time value in "Sync point time code" and hit the button "Set sync point"
- Do the same for the last line
- Apply
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

FX187

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 pm

It's also possible that is not (only) a matter of different frame rate. Sometimes its a matter of other frame rate and/or a constant shift.

Instead of messing about with all different FPS ratio possibilities, you can try using the socalled point sync method:
- You determine the correct start of the first line.
- You determine the correct start of the last line.
- Now, in Subtitle Edit, go Synchronisation > Point Sync...
- Double click on line 1 > Enter the time value in "Sync point time code" and hit the button "Set sync point"
- Do the same for the last line
- Apply
Tried on one sub and it seemed to work, thanks!

oss
Site Admin

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:29 am

yep, dont forget to upload it afterwards with description whats going on and release...thanks

Boyc1e

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:25 am

In the event that both srt and video record are similar FPS and subs continuously leave sync, it could demonstrate that the video document could have some erased scenes.

Return to “General talk”