Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
ignatzzzz

Administrators, PLEASE – EUROPEAN SPANISH Flag...

Sun May 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Can we please have an option for uploaders to flag Spanish subtitles as either European or Latin American? Looking at the available languages, you have THREE different varieties of Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal and Mozambique), so why not two for Spanish? Having to search through multiple (over thirty for 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest') titles in the hope that someone has flagged them in the description as European Spanish is really frustrating.

As well as different words and slang, European Spanish contains an entire verb person ('vosotros/as') that doesn't exist in Latin American Spanish, so it's arguably even more different to Latin-American Spanish than Brazilian Portuguese is to European Portuguese.
Last edited by ignatzzzz on Sun May 24, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oss
Site Admin

Re: Administrators, PLEASE – EUROPEAN SPANISH Flag...

Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 am

it is possible to add language name Spanish (European) and move Spanish to Spanish (American). But then we will come to this issue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castilian_Spanish

leviathanguthrie

Mon May 25, 2020 2:10 pm

In the case of One Flew... one uploader labelled the sub as europeo, which I think is a common solution. When I have uploaded Spanish subs for English shows, I normally specift España... but I agree with your point. Most streaming sites at least distinguish between "Latino" and "Castellano" or have a Spanish flag with an L for the "latino: version. Actually the ideal would be Argentina, Mexico and Spain - those are the three main powerhouses in dubbing and subbing.

ignatzzzz

Mon May 25, 2020 7:32 pm

In the case of One Flew... one uploader labelled the sub as europeo, which I think is a common solution. When I have uploaded Spanish subs for English shows, I normally specift España... but I agree with your point. Most streaming sites at least distinguish between "Latino" and "Castellano" or have a Spanish flag with an L for the "latino: version. Actually the ideal would be Argentina, Mexico and Spain - those are the three main powerhouses in dubbing and subbing.
Yes, and I'm very grateful to that subber!!! And agree with the tripartite division.

oss
Site Admin

Tue May 26, 2020 11:33 am

ok I can add some more languages, so write me please:
1) How to name them
2) Which codes to use (2code and 3code) - so they are not duplicate with iso639 existing codes

ignatzzzz

Tue May 26, 2020 2:27 pm

ok I can add some more languages, so write me please:
1) How to name them
2) Which codes to use (2code and 3code) - so they are not duplicate with iso639 existing codes
Thank for this!!!

'Spanish (ES)' or 'Spanish (EU)' for European Spanish and 'Spanish (LA)' for Latin-American Spanish would be my suggestions. Looking on on a list of ISO639 codes, it gives Spanish: 'es' (639-1), 'spa' (639-2) and 'spa' (639-3).

I hope that's what you need...

oss
Site Admin

Wed May 27, 2020 8:48 am

hi,

not completely. I need to set up 2 char and 3 char code.
"es", "spa" for "Spanish (EU) lets say
"ea", "spl" for "Spanish (LA) lets say

but if you can check those codes are not used...so Spanish "es", "spa" will be used for European as default ?

Or I just can leave Spanish and then add 2 more languages (spanish/eu and spanish/la)

ignatzzzz

Sat May 30, 2020 11:56 am

Sorry for the late reply... it looks like 'ea' and 'spl' are free across across ISO 639-1, -2 and -3.

oss
Site Admin

Sun May 31, 2020 5:40 am

ok, should be added.

leviathanguthrie

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi guys,

I can see Spanish (LA) but not the EU/ES one. I think without the other one it's a bit cryptic, because obviously LA makes people think of Los Angeles. I think if it's alongside EU/Es it will be more obvious (similar to the case with Portuguese).

One slight problem is I just uploaded files to Casa de Las Flores, a Mexican show, and decided to file them as LA, but now that means they are separated from the previous episodes. Is there an easy way to mass move files from Spanish to Spanish LA?

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:28 am

hi,

so basically I just need to rename Spanish to "Spanish (EU)" now and it should be all right.

for moving subtitles from one language to another one...you can write me subtitle IDs and I can run small SQL program to do the job...the best is anyway using "Correct subtitles" one by one...because there are quite a lot of things happening in background.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:16 pm

so, classic story...user now asking me...here is communication:
You recently do the change for that we can choose between European subtitles and Latin American subtitles, but not always are the only option. Many spanish translators of both side of the ocean do a "neutral" job; I would say most of us, even. It's interesting the new option to select, but the default option must would be "Spanish". A lot of times is very difficult to know if a subtitle is in european or latin spanish, too; basically only Netflix do this diferenciation.

---

The options are "Spanish (EU)" and "Spanish (LA)", but there is no neutral option ("Spanish"). A lot of spanish subtitles are neutral. The default option should be "Spanish".

I leave you a link that may clarify the situation: https://danivoiceovers.com/en/acento-espanol/
and I think he is right.

let me know your opinion

leviathanguthrie

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:32 pm

It does problematise things, but his answer is also incomplete.

He is referring to amateur subtitlers who try to do a neutral job online. There is actually no such thing as neutral, because as soon as you say "ustedes" or "vosotros" you are declaring which side of the Atlantic you come from.

More importantly, all of the subtitles ripped from official sources ARE likely to be of a specific Spanish.

It might be more effort, but I can suggest a fudged solution: maintain Spanish as. the default, then offer Spanish (EU) and Spanish (LT) as options if people want to specify.

Return to “General talk”