Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
colparker

opensubtitles.org has become unusable now

Wed May 13, 2020 7:12 pm

Hello,

after 7 years and 21.000 downloaded subs i guess this is goodbye now from me. You'll know what you have changed last week that it became impossible to download a subtitle by just clicking directly the line with the subtitle file. Clicking that now ends in a vicious loop.

I know i know, this site is a lot of work and there are notable expenses. I respect there are ad banners and such. But lately you guys have crossed a line and moved to a most aggressive kind of hustling that borders on harassment. And i'm done being harassed by you for minutes for every single subtitle file i aspire to download. No, i will not install some browser malware addon.
And no, your new site opensubtitles.com is not an alternative. There were at least 3 subs i couldn't find there which are on the .org site. All fairly new films. However i did find these subs on other subtitle sites, so ...

7 years of frequent visits, bookmark in taskbar, you've become a habit of mine. I may check in every now and then to see if you guys have made up your minds about that new course you laid in.

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: opensubtitles.org has become unusable now

Wed May 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi,

Actually, don't know what's been changed. The site still runs and downloads the way it always does for me. Maybe you can clarify, as I don't seem to be having the same difficulties as you. Was talking to another admin today, and he didn't seem to be having any problems on the site either, except for the site not being available for 6 minutes earlier today.
download a subtitle by just clicking directly the line with the subtitle file. Clicking that now ends in a vicious loop.
What loop?
I just clicked and tried on subtitle for: Martian.Child.2007.720p.WEBRip.x264.AAC-[YTS.MX] HI.srt whilst not being logged in and it downloaded the .srt file straight away. No loop, no wait time and no add-on.
Make sure you're logged-in. Use Firefox, if you have it and install ABP. Delete site cookies.cache, refresh page and try it again. Also change IP address if using a VPN to see if the IP address is blocked.

Works fine on other subtitle pages, too.
The download button can sometimes have a waiting time, but the direct .srt filename method never does. I don't use OS add-on and the above method still works fine.
Try the above and see if it works.

And if these other sites, I think I know who you're talking about, try opening a forum topic on there and see if the admins come to help you or answer any of your questions.
Admins here work for free and help for free in their own time and they don't require your aggression, either.
Most topics with us are answered within 24hrs, unless they are coding related which can take longer. For a free service that's remarkable and should be appreciated.

I understand one can be upset when things don't work, but there are better ways of reporting such issues. Other users have had such issues in the past and have had the problem sorted after our realising and investigating what their problem is.

But if your way of resolving and expressing things is to use aggression and threatening behaviour to other VOLUNTEERS who try to help for free in their own personal time, then I guess that other site would be better suited for you.

More info here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17144#p43661

Good-luck.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu May 14, 2020 8:58 am

I have no problem downloading subs. No vicious loops.

@Scooby007
It looks like this person just wants to express frustration. No question is asked. The only description is some "vicious loop". The rest of the message is just jumping to too fast conclusions and reactions to 'solutions' which are only speculative and not given by anybody but himself, all in a cynical tone. This person doesn't want to be helped, he/she just wants to scream.

@colparker
Thank you for your information.
Goodbye.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

dutsub

Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 am

I think I am actually having the same problem. It started with that Firefox disabled the opensubtitles extension, and would not allow to re-enable or re-install (due to outdated code or something I believe). I tried in Chrome, but that also did not work.
And yes, now when I click on the .srt it just reloads the same web page (the 'vicious' loop).

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu May 14, 2020 11:50 am

Ah, that's better :)

I don't know about the Firefox extension. I am using Firefox without OpenSubtitles extension.

I tried with Edge, the vanilla default Windows 10 version, and I noticed clicking on the name indeed did not trigger the download. Also clicking on the movie poster didn't work. But the big download button DID work. Funnily, I restarted Edge and now every method works. Maybe it was something temporary and now it is solved.

If not, always try this first:
- Delete cookies and browser cache
- Try disabling any adblockers you may have running
- Make sure you are logged in.
- If on a VPN or so, change server.

Note that there are a couple of ways to trigger the download:
- The download button
- The title of the movie/epsiode
- The SRT file name
- The movie poster
If one way doesnt work, try another

Does this help?
The problem still exists?
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm

So I tried with firefox chrome and opera. All with adblock turn off.
(without log-in) the download work well, clicking on the name, movie poster and the big download button.

But if I try with the opera through a VPN,
the only way to download it is by clicking on the big button.
If i click on name.srt ,movie poster etc the page just refreshes.
No matter how many times I try, it doesn't download the subtitle.

Maybe the problem is VPn, but we don’t know because he didn’t explain
what brownser was using,
if were accessing the site through a vpn etc etc

jujudellago
Subtitles Admin

Sun May 17, 2020 9:15 am

Or you can give a try to the new https://www.opensubtitles.com, who's more modern... specially with chrome or firefox with the extension, then you get zero ad, zero wait time.

TokerX

Tue May 02, 2023 9:16 pm

Late to the party but it needs to be said this person's complaint is very real. It doesn't happen with every download, but you get the timer pop-up and the one to install some malware. Then you get a captcha, and once you solve that you're back to the previous two pop-ups...

And the new website? Not much better.

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Thu May 04, 2023 1:11 am

well.........browser extension is not a synonim of malware, actually...

a site costs, and this is free from ages, and all it takes to make banners and annoying things go away is...to partecipate!!! that means, uploading some subs...it's a fair request, to me... :? ALL the services that were free, are now paid services on the internet...and opensubs is not only still free, but it's an open project, with contributions from all over the world...

now i have thousands of uploaded subs, but i began to upload 3 years ago for the very same reason i said above: i thought that all this had always been free and at my complete disposal, and that now it was time that i repayed a bit back all the good that came from opensubtitles..and it didnt need the annoying banners to make me think that :)

Return to “General talk”