Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Barnabas

HOW TO UPLOAD SUBTITLES?

Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Not really sure what I am doing. Each time I try to upload a subtitle I get a message saying "fail". Obviously doing something wrong. Can anyone please give me a walk-through?

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: New to opensubtitles.

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:16 pm

Are you uploading manually using the web interface: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/upload
Or a program to upload?
Site may have been down earlier. Try again later.

Barnabas

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Uploading manually from opensubtitles. Here are my steps
1 Enter language (English)
2 Enter Film Name (The Balkan Line)
3 A small screen appears with Upload button which I press.
4 Takes me to another screen.
5 Again enter language
6 Select FPS
7 Enter Movie AKA (The Balkan Line)
8 Enter HD Movie
9 Upload button greyed out.
10 Select "Multiple Files" Browse which opens up "My Document" Files.
11 Cancel "My Documents" Upload button now available.
12 Upon pressing Upload button get this message "is_uploaded_file()returning false, click back in browser and try again, server:172.20.100.1"

Obviously doing something wrong but what? Thanks for any help.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Uploading manually from opensubtitles. Here are my steps
1 Enter language (English)
2 Enter Film Name (The Balkan Line)
3 A small screen appears with Upload button which I press.
4 Takes me to another screen.
5 Again enter language
6 Select FPS
7 Enter Movie AKA (The Balkan Line)
8 Enter HD Movie
9 Upload button greyed out.
11 Cancel "My Documents" Upload button now available.
12 Upon pressing Upload button get this message "is_uploaded_file()returning false, click back in browser and try again, server:172.20.100.1"

Obviously doing something wrong but what? Thanks for any help.

This error is because you did not select the subtitle file.

Here you have to go to the folder / path where you have the subtitle you want to upload.
If you do not select the subtitle (cancel) and then click on the upload :
You got : is_uploaded_file() returning false, click back in browser and try again....

scooby007
Site Admin

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 pm

In addition to what Func, wrote, you're clicking on "IMDB ID ( search )" where you have to select multiple boxes for search, and if site is running slow, that search is hard to use.
You should only use that option when the subtitle you are using doesn't have an IMDb ID. Obtain the IMDb ID manually from the IMDb website.

Follow these steps:

1: Language: Select language of the subtitle content.

2: IMDB ID ( search ): Example: I want to upload subs for: Spider-Man: Homecoming, I copy and paste the URL from IMDb in this box: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2250912/

3: Release name: If your subtitle file is called: "Spider.Man.Homecoming.2017.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS.srt", then leave this field empty, the site will fill it to: Spider.Man.Homecoming.2017.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS automatically which is the correct release name. If the movie name is too long, you should fill it manually as: 720p.BluRay.x264-SPARK

4: Movie AKA: Leave blanc, unless it's a foreign film that has a different title in English.

5: Comment: Leave blanc, unless you have some info about the subtitle file you think downloaders need to know.

6: Translator: Leave blanc if retail subtitles. If somebody created those files from scratch and made the transcript, then add that persons name here.

7: The next 4 selection boxes on this page are self-explanatory. Only use them if required.

8:Select multiple files (CTRL+click): Click on the "Browse" button and find the subtitle on your device, click on it and hit enter. That will bring you back to the upload page and the "upload" button won't be greyed out.

9: Upload: Click the upload button and the subtitle will be uploaded. Unless it already exists on the site.

NICE TIP

If you have two subtitles, one hearing impaired (HI) and the other none HI, upload the HI version first.
After upload, click back on your browser button
>untick the HI box>select the none HI version of the file>click upload again.
This way you don't need till out a brand new upload page for the same movie to upload HI and none HI version of the subtitle.

Try that.
Process should take less than 10 seconds.

If any mistakes are made, or you find mistakes on other subtitles on the site, use the following method to correct them: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2595

Or use this program after you get used to the manual upload page: https://github.com/vankasteelj/opensubt ... /tag/2.5.0
More info about the program here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15404
If you use that program, just make sure to check the pre-populated info about the subtitle is correct before pressing upload.

Eventually, also check how to upload subtitles that don't have an existing IMDb ID: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17019&p=43013&hilit ... ton#p43013 This is only to be used for movies that don't have an IMDb ID URL available.

Do keep us apprised to how you faired.
I'm quite intrigued at this point. :D

Thanks

Barnabas

Re: HOW TO UPLOAD SUBTITLES?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Scooby 007 & Funchalense. Right. Suspect I'm using the wrong terminology. I should have explained myself properly. I have the movie The Balkan Line but it is in Russian without subtitles. What I am trying to do is obtain English subtitles to go with the movie, which I have obtained from Cinema. Have I confused "Uploading" with "Downloading"? Sorry about this but not very computer literate as you may have guessed.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Re: HOW TO UPLOAD SUBTITLES?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Scooby 007 & Funchalense. Right. Suspect I'm using the wrong terminology. I should have explained myself properly. I have the movie The Balkan Line but it is in Russian without subtitles. What I am trying to do is obtain English subtitles to go with the movie, which I have obtained from Cinema. Have I confused "Uploading" with "Downloading"? Sorry about this but not very computer literate as you may have guessed.
Ok. For that movie in english we have 3 subtitles in site.

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... kan%20line

Return to “General talk”