Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
jkel0912

Subtitles Through Devices Not Working

Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Hello everyone,
I should start by saying I know close to nothing about the technicalities of dealing with tv and subtitles setup, so please bear with me here.
I purchased an M8S box about a year ago, and have been streaming movies and tv shows since. I have been using subtitles on a regular basis, my subtitles usually come from a drop down menu with OpenSubtitles being the first option, then Subscene, Makedie, and SubHD. OpenSubtitles always worked perfectly until recently when it stopped working altogether and my options go straight to Subscene, which never worked for me (I get a no data message every time I try to use it). The other 2 options also never worked, with the same no data message.
My M8S box used to work just fine, but recently it started giving me different looking link options for streaming, with most of them being invalid links. This started happening around the same time I lost the subtitles.
Does anyone know what all this means, and how to deal with it? Please keep in mind I know nothing about any of this, and have no clue what to do about it.
Thank you!

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Subtitles not working

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi,

The following two topics may help answer some questions in regards to the problems you're facing and why:

Topic 1: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17110
Topic 2: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17128

I have no idea how that M8S box you're using works, but if you are able to log-in to opensubtitles.org on that box through the settings, then you need to do that for the subtitles to work again.
The topic links above will explain why a log-in is needed.

Best of luck

jkel0912

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:25 am

Thank you for your response. I tried to login on my tv, but after I enter my username and password nothing happens. It just takes me back to a message saying no subtitles are available. I am not even able to login, it simply does not ’t give me the option to OK or Enter after filling in my username and password.
I understand this might be due to some changes you made, only allowing access to users who are able to login. This is creating a lot of problems for me. I used to really enjoy having the option to use subtitles. I even made an account here just to be able to get them, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I don’t know what else to do.

scooby007
Site Admin

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:27 am

Hi,

Your forum password and main site password aren’t connected. So make you have a login for the main-site.
You mentioned logging in through your TV, if that’s with via an internet page, then that won’t work. It needs to be through your box that connects to opensubtitles. If the said box doesn’t have an option for logging in, its developers would need to create one where their users can log-in.

As you can imagine, there are many people staying at home and using our service. Server load can’t accommodate everyone and can leave the site broken and unusable. This is unacceptable so we had to make this difficult decision.
As soon as the world is back to normal, maybe we will be, too.

Ariadnele

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:28 pm

So we will no longer be able to download subtitles via VLC or Plex?

scooby007
Site Admin

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:25 pm

With some programs I believe you still can use it. By fluke most likely.
We can't cope with the demand, hence we had to opt-in for the force log-in.
One could try other sites for subtitles, but when they receive as many API requests as we do, they to will most likely eventually terminate that service.

We get around 1000 requests per second, that's how many people want to use the API to connect to our service. Those levels can't be maintained without investing in more servers/databases or RAM.

Sorry.

Ariadnele

Re: Subtitles Through Devices Not Working

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:35 pm

Your situation is understandable, but highly disappointing, as there is no way to 'log-in' from the TV or VLC.

I do hope you guys consider going back to usual once this horrific lockdown goes away.

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Subtitles Through Devices Not Working

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:39 pm

I do hope you guys consider going back to usual once this horrific lockdown goes away.
Fingers crossed, I'm sure we will.
But doing it now will mean that the site will be unusable 90% of the time. That won't be good to anyone.

Possible solutions for certain devices you may be using: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17153

Return to “General talk”