Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
ilan1

new uploader trying to clean up mess

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:32 am

I uploaded Hebrew subtitles to Elvira Madigan, but in my first attempt I did so anonymously (since I had no account).
Hebrew is right to left and the video player messes up the position of punctuation marks at the end of sentences.

I had made a short Java program to correct some details of the srt file so I changed my program to put the punctuation marks at the beginning of the sentence so the video player with its bug would switch them to the natural position.
I looked at some other Hebrew subtitles and saw that all end of sentence punctuation was also switched to the beginning, so I confirmed that this was the "correct" thing to do.

So I went to upload my corrected version, this time using my new account of "ilan1". I was surprised that I didn't get a message that my previous attempt already solved the problem. So there are 2 versions of the subtitles available.

My question is: how do I delete the anonymous version? I you look under Elvira Madigan, you will see one from "ilan1" and a couple of days older version with no name. In order not to confuse any user, I would like to delete the anonymous version. How can I do this?

Thanks,
Ilan

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: new uploader trying to clean up mess

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:26 pm

Todaraba, for your efforts to keep things clean :)
I have deleted your previous anonymous upload.

For the future, a few things to know:
- You can change meta data (IMDb, additional info etc.) by using the link "Correct subtitles" ( דווח על סרט לא נכון ).
- You can also use this to delete the subtitles.
- If this is your own upload, changes are effective immediately. If it is uploaded by someone else or anonymously, the changes need to be approved by an admin first. This can take some time.
- If it is your own upload, you can also update the subs with an improved or corrected version. In the same correction form, click the link "update".

Btw, I saw you have marked your second upload as "machine translation". Machine translations are subtitles translated by software, like Google Translate and so, instead of humans, typically resulting in a poor quality. It's up to the Hebrew admin to decide whether such subtitles can stay and under which conditions.
If you misunderstood and it is actually a human translation, then you should remove that "machine translation" mark. Now you know how to do that :)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

ilan1

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Thank you very much for cleaning up my first attempt. Next time I will use my own name, so it is easier to fix.

I have used Google translate a number of time for other things, and it is not bad at all. There is automatic language translation for questions and its advantage is that it keeps getting better and better - computers learn faster than humans.

I loved Elvira Madigan when I first saw the movie many years ago. I want to show it to my daughter and want her to enjoy it without wasting time on English subtitles. After all, it isn't Shakespeare from a language point of view, the native language is Swedish or something in the neighborhood. In short, all the translations I've seen get the job done, and fairly nicely at that.

I did correct a couple of mistakes in the subtitles, but overall it looks good. I will wait for my daughter's opinion before making a final decision. First and foremost, I want her to enjoy the movie.

Thanks again for your שרות in cleaning up my mess for me.

fun7om

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi ilan, אהלן
thank you for your uploads.
if you need any further help don't hesitate to contact me.
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/profile/iduser-5673380

fun7om,
Hebrew section Admin.

Return to “General talk”