Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Opensubtitles.org now blocked (at least) from Denmark

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Does anyone know, or would the site admins be willing to share what traffic exactly would need to be routed through a VPN in order to access opensubtitles.org and all relevant subdomains?
Hi,
While the anti-piracy group is pleased with OpenSubtitles’ cooperation, making the site completely inaccessible in Denmark will be impossible. People can still bypass the blockade, even the site’s own one, by relying on foreign VPN servers.
For now, that would be the only way, I'm afraid. OS is just blocked to Danes using the origin of the IP, using an IP address from any other country will give you access. If some of your hardware can't install a VPN client, then try a secondary router that is VPN friendly.

In essence, your main router will send Wi-Fi to your secondary router that has a VPN installed, you connect your devices to the secondary router signal and not to the main router. Sorry, but that seems to be the only option I can think of.

Good-luck.

coolburger

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:04 pm

I am fully aware how a VPN works, which is the reason why I can't have my streaming boxes behind one.

However, having pfsense route specific traffic through a VPN is no issue -- I just need the iPs where traffic should get routed. Are you willing to share those?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:43 pm

Are you willing to share those?
Willing? DEFINITELY.
Able? I'll try.

The direct IP of opensubtitles.org is 92.240.234.122
The host/IP you need for actually downloading is dl.opensubtitles.org 104.27.78.77
I am pretty ****ing far from being an expert on API usage, but apparantly you would need this for API access: api.opensubtitles.org 104.27.78.77
The main "www" host is http://www.opensubtitles.org 104.27.79.77
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

6QhVmM

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

The host/IP you need for actually downloading is dl.opensubtitles.org 104.27.78.77
I am pretty ****ing far from being an expert on API usage, but apparantly you would need this for API access: api.opensubtitles.org 104.27.78.77
The main "www" host is http://www.opensubtitles.org 104.27.79.77
FWIW, All three of these (all of *.opensubtitles.org?) send the redirecting HTTP header, so we're out of luck here in Denmark.

Aside: "pretty ****ing far from", reminds me of Pulp Fiction...

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Maybe you should have redirected to some other explanation, true or not, but the TDC injunction.
Maybe. But mostly... What does it matter. The super-site-admin oss has decided to do so, by request of those Danish whats-their-face. Apparently this is what they wanted. So be it. But practically it doesn't matter if Danish are redirected to some silly non-relevant PDF file or to donaldduck.com. What matters is the actual result.
The simple and elegant solution was to grant access to all, changing to the new domaine (when in fact, this is the solution you now choose)
I think the other domain has nothing to do with it. Further, I think IMHO the most elegant solution would have been to simply ignore those Danish whats-their-face. But that's me.
Rettighedsalliancen is a complete joke and has always been using scare tactics to try to have their way.
Agreed. Nowadays that's the method. In Netherlands we are having a similar situation. The copyright coyotes just address 'violators', telling them they should 'pay for expenses' to avoid a walk to court (read: a private organisation giving fines). In my eyes that's democratic justice turned upside down. It's David versus Goliath. Nothing to do with justice, only with size (and size matters). I would never bow. But that's me.
Apart from useless DNS blockings, I have never seen anyone comply with their demands the way OS seems to have -- and as the user above pointed out, the referenced court decision doesn't actually address why OS is redirecting Danish users.
Exactly. That's why I think it should have been ignored.
Aside: "pretty ****ing far from", reminds me of Pulp Fiction...
That's EXACTLY what I was referring to.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:13 am

d10511700

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:43 pm

Pathetic spineless pussies

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Thank you for your kind and extensive contribution, saturated with nuance, understanding and empathy.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Pathetic spineless pussies
Please allow me to refer to a previous post:
Thank you, SmallBrother. I'm sure they're not involved with the devil, but one never knows for sure. :)
A few sites like YTS and others are blocked by a few ISP in my country, and I don't like the fact that Denmark is asking OS to be banned in their country when the servers of OS aren't even there. OSS should have ignored that letter or just said to them to implement their own blocks without any intervention from us.

This sets a very bad precedent for the future of subtitling sites if this becomes a norm.
I was talking to scooby007 about raising money for OS for improvements and legal fees for the future. :)

I suggested AirVPN and that they offer a referral fee if bought through certain links. I believe them to be one of the best user-serving sites rather than a self-serving VPN. By using the said VPN you will be able to use the VPN on at least 5 devices. If you're not in a rush, I suggest to buy it in 9 days on the 22nd, as they have good deals on at that time.
Any money raised by purchasing through the following referral-link will go straight to OS and not be used by me for VIP status. I will need more than €20 to withdraw and send to OS. Please PM me if you're able and let me know when bought through the following link so I can check the total accumulated. Don't worry if I don't respond to you, but I'll try to fill you in on any totals gained.

The VPN comes with a friendly-user-interface you can use from your PC, MAC or other systems. With this VPN I don't have a problem accessing any site from any device. Comes highly recommended by myself, scooby007 and apparently by SmallBrother as well.

Usually advertising isn't allowed, but for this special purpose, scooby007 granted me permission. This site means a lot to me, and I'm sure to you guys as well. You don't have to pay anything to OS directly. All you have to do is purchase the VPN through the link provided below and any money collected will go towards this site and hopefully give you a 100% zero log provider with excellent speeds. My ISP gives 150MBps, I get that same speed via AirVPN servers.

The link to purchase from is here: https://airvpn.org/?referred_by=376244

All the best guys, and I hope you are able to access opensubtitles and any other website via that VPN. Please do buy via the link though, so the proceeds can go towards a good cause.

Thank you
Now, please be advised that:
- currently, this topic has been viewed 5697 times and many complaints (some including insults and swearing) were submitted, either in this topic or by PM,
- OpenSubtitles is a free site, run by and existing because of a whole bunch of unpaid volunteers, offering their hard work for free,
- getting a VPN subscription through the above link will not only solve the problem, but also support OpenSubtitles,
- a three day trial subscription costs less than a cup of coffee in a bar, a long term subscription the same per month,
- still nobody, not even one single Danish soul, has used the above mentioned link.

Please understand that this topic is now locked, at least until the one-way-street appears to be slightly more two-way.

Return to “General talk”