Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
mvivar

Trusted - sub translators - recorders - transcribers

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:33 am

Hi everybody:

Here's the thing. I've been focus on creating subtitles for old series and movies that do not exist.

Step 1
First convert to audio mp3.
Clean the noise.
Delete music etc.
Upload it to a free video service to get a transcription (you all know which one)

Step 2
Then. Take the transcribed srt. Send it to a spreadsheet to fix the overlaping karaoke thing.
Fix capitals... etc. That service also tends to insert the first one or two words that should belong to the next line at the end of the previous.
So, It is kind of tricky and time consuming.
Then I reupload a corrected srt. Get the translation from the same service. And upload to OS, the eng and spa srt. One transcribed by a machine, and the other machine translated.

Step 3
Then I fix the transcription in english, listening to the video. and yada yada. Reupload.
Get another translation. That translation this time is fixed and checked by a human.
Upload the two files to OS again

---

All these boring story is because I think that the world changed a lot. Everything goes at the speed of light in many aspects of our lives, and so with this.

So, some great help to get subtitles really fast, without sacrificing quality, is producing better transcriptions.
And for that we need. Recorders.

Recorders can create an mp3 with clear english. Modulated. No noise. background music, paused for the break lines, etc. This can be done by watching the movie and repeating the dialogs on the phone or computer with microphone headphones. 10 minutes one guy, 5 min another one

Result is clearly a better transcription from that service, that can be refined ridiculously fast by Transcribers. In order to get a first version of the subtitle in the original language, before *cc's are available.

And therefore better translations.
Can we discuss this?

*cc's, vtt, CEA-708/608 etc whatever.

Also. I've got a serious concern about the space (energy wasted because datacenter, and all of those cut trees, etc) So, as a result of my terrible tendency to ramble, when setting the google spreadsheet I thought in some crazy ways and data model to have at most 2 subs per language. But this is not directly related to the post. End).

Martin1964

Re: Trusted - sub translators - recorders - transcribers

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:39 pm

Hi mvivar,

There are many ways to create a subtitle and I think your steps are quite interesting but very time consuming. Also, why do you upload the raw subs on OS? I believe this is not really appreciated by moderators.

I would make the subs in another way as you spend a lot of time to adjust the free video service.

Upload the video in Subtitle Edit, create wave form and an extra small program to let show camera changes. This is often the spot where a subtitle starts. You can even let guess SE time codes for lines. You can adjust the sensibility to avoid the background noise.
Start working your human translation/ verbatim.

Alternatively, you can do "spotting". Professional translators do so as well. Start the movie and start-stop manually each line. At the end you put all lines in sync to compensate your response time. Than start your human translation/ verbatim.

Please send me by PM a short "old movie / series" filename. I'm happy to test.

Regards,
Martin

Return to “General talk”