Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Miles01

Subritle files for just 'non-English' dialogue

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi

Newbie to this forum.

PLEASE NOTE: I work on a cruise ship and Internet access is very expensive for me, so I can't really afford to look at every answer thrown up by googling my query.

I have a set of video files for a series called McMafia, which includes a lot of Russian dialogue. The files include built-in subtitles (which can be switched on or off within VLC player) which translate the Russian-only dialogue, but for some reason they translate to German, even though the subtitle option says 'english' in VLC.

I'd like to download some English subtitles for the Russian-only dialogue. Is there a filename convention for these type of subtitle files? Just to confirm: I only want subtitles for the non-English dialogue.

I've read that these are sometimes known as 'forced subtitles', but I can't find any subtitle files that are named like this.

Lastly, can anyone suggest a subtitle site that doesn't redirect to an advertisement site?

Thank you for your help.

Miles Forman
Working on a cruise ship somewhere in the Mediterranean

Martin1964

Re: Subritle files for just 'non-English' dialogue

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Hello Miles,

Sometimes the VLC has the wrong name with the subtitles. If there are more languages available to select; try them all.

I have found English subtitles in full (including the Russian parts in English), but that;s not what you're looking for.
If you want these, send the full videofile name like "McMafia.S01E01.720p.HDTV.x264-ORGANiC"

Have a great day!

Miles01

Re: Subritle files for just 'non-English' dialogue

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks for your help!

Return to “General talk”