Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
narseh

Re: Give us feedback about the new site opensubtitles.com

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Ok, I know you have a delete feature. Well, it's an abomination that only disables the subtitle, and upon trying to create a new one politely reminds you that you can't create a new subtitle on top of the disabled one.

Please fix this mess.
What a mess?
If you create another subtitle that is not the same, the system will not block upload.
If the system reminds you that subtitle already exist on system, if is disabled or not it's because you are trying to upload a subtitle just like same as already exists.

So it's a good feature, it prevents the system from having repeated subtitles.

I like the new system notifications. Number of notifications in main page next to username.
DonFritz has rated Avengers.Endgame.2019.1080p.WEB-DL.AC3.H264-EVO with 1 stars

Os it will be possible to send pm through the site?
Or will we have to keep coming to the forum to do that.
Thanks to scooby007 for restating the points I made!

It's a good idea that the system checks for duplicates, no controversy here. But what is deleted should be treated as deleted, not as hidden. Why should the system prevent me from deleting a subtitle and uploading it again?

Please have a look at a subtitle I created and explore for yourself what has gone wrong here:

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... -christ-fa

1. There are multiple version v1, v2 and v3 of the subtitle because I updated it three times.
2. The dowload button (beta) takes the user to the new site and shows a list of files as CD1, CD2, and CD3. The user shouldn't see this. There is no such thing as a movie in three CDs. Which one would you choose to download?
3. I tried to fix this mess by deleting the subtitle and creating a clean one with no extra versions. You know, the system does not allow it because nothing is deleted.

fun7om

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Why should the system prevent me from deleting a subtitle and uploading it again?
very simple - if subtitle is deleted, its for a reason. and 99.9% we dont want that sub uploaded again.
3. I tried to fix this mess by deleting the subtitle and creating a clean one with no extra versions. You know, the system does not allow it because nothing is deleted.
you can bypass this by changin something small as a dot somewhere inside the file = not duplicate. Also, if there aren’t any significant changes, system doesn’t allow upload.

narseh

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Why should the system prevent me from deleting a subtitle and uploading it again?
very simple - if subtitle is deleted, its for a reason. and 99.9% we dont want that sub uploaded again.
you can bypass this by changin something small as a dot somewhere inside the file = not duplicate. Also, if there aren’t any significant changes, system doesn’t allow upload.

That's a non answer.
You're suggesting how to defeat the system, instead of working to solve the actual problem.

fun7om

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:23 pm

That's a non answer.
You're suggesting how to defeat the system, instead of working to solve the actual problem.
You're right, i suggested a temporary solution for you.

my simple thought - as many uploaders face this problem, included myself at the past,
without really understanding the full mechanisem of this system;
maybe a simple "reset button" that's pop-up after uploading v2.
ALSO:
if a file is "deleted" by the user who uploaded it, and the same user tries to upload the same file again,
response should be: redirect to the disabled subtitle, with the option to enable.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:17 am

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... -christ-fa

1. There are multiple version v1, v2 and v3 of the subtitle because I updated it three times.
2. The dowload button (beta) takes the user to the new site and shows a list of files as CD1, CD2, and CD3. The user shouldn't see this. There is no such thing as a movie in three CDs. Which one would you choose to download?
Clearly, when downloading, only the LAST version should be delivered, like on the .ORG site.
This is a bug that should be fixed.
Once a subtitle is deleted on the site, it shouldn’t say “we already have this subtitle” and give a link to it when it is deleted from the site. Deleted should mean deleted and the site shouldn’t recognise that it is still there a few years after it was deleted. As it does now. It should completely disappear. To this last point, I say it is like that just in case it was a mistake to delete and it needs to be enabled again. But I'd imagine it still takes storage space.
I think subs should NOT be deleted completely. First of all, indeed to have the possibility to reverse it, if it was a mistake. Also, like this we avoid bad subtitles being uploaded again and again (although this could be covered by DELETING the SUBS, but KEEPING the HASH of that subs). But as admin I grabbed back to disabled subs many times, sometimes also months later, for example when there is trouble about credits. For me its perfect as it is now.

But yes, that error is misleading. When subs are disabled, that error should say "this subtitle was already uploaded, but deleted for some reason" with "some reason" the link to the disabled subs.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:41 am

Three more issues I found on the way:

► Some subs which are disabled on .ORG are still available on .COM

For example Aladdin should have only ONE Dutch subtitle available:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... vie-677979
But on .COM there are THREE Dutch subs, while two have been disabled on .org
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin
(no idea how to give a direct URL to Dutch subs only)

► Additionally, see that list of three:

The last two have no uploader username, but should have.
The first one has a username (LordCosmos) with a "warning" icon. This user has been warned in the PAST, but this warning was withdrawn. So this should not show.

► The URL, like in this example ( https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin ) does NOT filter by language, like it does on .ORG ( /sublanguageid-dut ). I am using this and other filters a zillion times per day...
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

ignatzzzz

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi, just registered, but can't find any option for subs in other languages... only gives me English subtitles.

oss
Site Admin

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:45 pm

we use same icon as wikipedia. it is on the left of the search form, where you type the name. so click on it. If you have any idea how to make it better, let us know

Funchalense
Site Admin

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 pm

If you still don't get there with the tip of the os.
Click on the flag and then choose the languages you want

oss
Site Admin

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:02 am

the original Language Icon is not so well known and people overlook it, maybe better put there English flag and half with another flag...?

os_dev

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:19 pm

I like the new system notifications. Number of notifications in main page next to username.
DonFritz has rated Avengers.Endgame.2019.1080p.WEB-DL.AC3.H264-EVO with 1 stars

Os it will be possible to send pm through the site?
Or will we have to keep coming to the forum to do that.
A new forum and private messages are coming to the new site very soon, fully integrated to the site, so a single login to use.

We just have a few very boring server configurations to solve first

os_dev

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Three more issues I found on the way:

► Some subs which are disabled on .ORG are still available on .COM

For example Aladdin should have only ONE Dutch subtitle available:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... vie-677979
But on .COM there are THREE Dutch subs, while two have been disabled on .org
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin
(no idea how to give a direct URL to Dutch subs only)
This case was solved, but some more could still come up, thanks for the feedback, this kind of bugs are hard to track.

note, to get only dutch subs ,type the address like this:
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies ... nguages=nl

► Additionally, see that list of three:

The last two have no uploader username, but should have.
The first one has a username (LordCosmos) with a "warning" icon. This user has been warned in the PAST, but this warning was withdrawn. So this should not show.
Thanks to your feedback, we have now fixed the user synchronisation issues.

► The URL, like in this example ( https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin ) does NOT filter by language, like it does on .ORG ( /sublanguageid-dut ). I am using this and other filters a zillion times per day...
You can do like this for a single language
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin?languages=nl

For multiple
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin?languages=nl,en

Or all
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin?languages=all

os_dev

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am

One of the features I would like to have is have some sort of RSS feed or an e-mail reminder when new subs. for a TV series I subscribe come in. For e.g. Elementary Season 7 https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/tvshow ... /seasons/7 and so on and so forth. Currently there doesn't seem to be anyway to know when a new english subtitle will come for the new episode, for e.g. episode 7 which was just released.
I just added some RSS buttons in the movie, episode, or tv serie details block, and in the seasons list for a TV serie. It will give you a link to a RSS feed that will get updated when subtitles are added in your preferred language.

There will be more sophisticated notification mechanism coming soon (browser push, emails, slack) but the RSS gives a temporary solution, I tried it with the series I follow in Feedly and it works great.

When the link is clicked, the proper language params are set to the RSS feed url, so you will get notifications for the languages you currently follow (visible in the search bar)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:00 pm

You can do like this for a single language
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin?languages=nl

For multiple
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin?languages=nl,en

Or all
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/movies/2019-aladdin?languages=all
Thanks, I understand. But there are a zillion other 'filters', usefull for any user search, but definitely for admins doing their job. Just to mention a few:

Filter by upload time:
/subadddate-1 : One hour
/subadddate-2 : Twenty-four hours
/subadddate-3 : One week
/subadddate-4 : Fifteen days
/subadddate-5 : One month
/subadddate-6 : Six months
/subadddate-7 : One year

Sort by:
/sort-0 : Name
/sort-1 : Country
/sort-2 : #CD
/sort-3 : Sub file extension
/sort-4 : Framerate
/sort-5 : Date
/sort-6 : Sub rating
/sort-7 : #uploads
/sort-8 : IMDB rating
/sort-9 : Uploader name
/sort-11 : Number of thanks - NOTE: use with "/asc-0" to get most thanked first
/ordmoviereleasename-1 : Movie release name

To be completed with:
/asc-0 : Decreasing
/asc-1 : Increasing

Miscellaneous filters:
/moviename-bla+bla+bla : Subs of a specific movie (=> replace "bla+bla+bla" by the movie name or keywords).
/moviename-*** : A complete list of all movies.
/moviehash-0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a : Subs with hash code 0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a attached to it.
/moviehashcnt-on : Subs sorted by the amount of hash codes. The first one will have (extremely) many hash codes.
/searchonlytvseries-on : Subs of TV episodes only.
/searchonlymovies-on: Subs of movies only.
/subtrusted-on : Subs uploaded by a Trusted user.
/subversion-on : Subs which have been updated with a new version.
/subcomments-on : Subs with comments.
/subcommentsby-0000000 : Subs with comments by one specific user (=> replace "000000" by the user ID).
/autotranslation-on : Subs that are machine translated.
/subbad-on : Subs marked as bad.
/subfilesize-on : Subs sorted by file size (of the subtitle file). Useful to find spam or 'nonsense' subs.
/emptymoviename-on : Subs non-existing in IMDb.
/noepisodes-on : Subs of TV series without episode ID's existing in IMDb.
/subadmincheck-1 : Suspicious subs to be checked.
/subadmincheck-2 : To be checked if subs and movie are actually matching.
/disabled-on : Subs that have been disabled.

User/movie ID filters: (Advanced)
These filters are normally used by links in pages, but can be copied (and combined) in the URL as well:
/idmovie-000000 : Subs for a specific movie (=> replace "000000" by the movie ID)
/imdbid-00000000 : Subs for a specific movie (=> replace "0000000" by the IMDb ID)
/iduser-000000 : Subs uploaded by a specific user (=> replace "000000" by the user ID)
/iduserd-000000 : Subs downloaded by a specific user (=> replace "000000" by the user ID)
/iduserdnotrated-000000 : Subs downloaded by a specific user, but not yet rated (=> replace "000000" by the user ID)
/iduserdrated-000000 : Subs downloaded by a specific user, and rated (=> replace "000000" by the user ID)
/moviebytesize-000000000 : Subs for movies with file size of x bytes (=> replace the "000000000" with the movie file size).
TV series specific:
/pimdbid-0000000 : Subs for specific TV series (=> replace "0000000" by the general IMDb ID for that series)
/season-0 : Subs of TV series, limited to only a specific season (=> replace "0" by the season number)
Note: the "season" filter must be used in combination with the "pimdbid" filter.

Specific filters:
/idmovie-132378 : Shows subtitles without a movie name ("No movie title yet").
/idmovie-141628 : Shows spam subtitles, to be analyzed.

Additions:
/showfilename-on : Shows subtitle file name in extra line within search result pages.
/showcomment-on: Shows uploader comment in extra line within search result pages.
/showfilenamehash-on : Shows movie file name(s) of attached hash code(s) in extra line within search result pages.

And a couple more....
What about these?

os_dev

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:32 am

Hi,

One very crucial thing to understand, is that the system is being rewritten, it is not the same developper, not the same language, not working the same way.

What you see on opensubtitles.com is the PUBLIC version of the site, designed for end users looking for a precise subtitle. It primarily focuses on ease of use, search by release name or drag and drop a file.

Then there is an ADMIN backend, who contains filters and tools designed for administration and moderation of the site, in there we will add all the filters you could possibly need.

Note also that I have a different approach to development, rather than imagining all the tools you could need, then teach you how to use them, my way is to ask you what you need, then build it. (unfortunately for the admin, it is not for now yet, I'm still stucked on some server configurations for the moment)

Return to “General talk”