Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
flash2000

Re: Give us feedback about the new site opensubtitles.com

Mon May 10, 2021 11:57 pm

the new site looks pretty good! Really cool. I only have issues importing/merge my old info (flash2000)
Maybe one of the devs can take a look and help me out? :(
got this error:

422 - Unprocessable Entity
Oooops. This is embarassing.
Strange error, forget you ever saw that....
Please go back to the homepage

os_dev

Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 am

Hi flash2000,

Yeah sorry about that, some users stil require a manual trick for the import to work. I fixed your account and sent you the confirmation email that will let you set your new password, please let me know if you got it.

note, if other users experience the same issue, you can send us a message through our contact form https://www.opensubtitles.com/fr/contact it will open a ticket on our side and make the follow up easier.

cheers

- os_dev

flash2000

Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am

Hi flash2000,

Yeah sorry about that, some users stil require a manual trick for the import to work. I fixed your account and sent you the confirmation email that will let you set your new password, please let me know if you got it.

note, if other users experience the same issue, you can send us a message through our contact form https://www.opensubtitles.com/fr/contact it will open a ticket on our side and make the follow up easier.

cheers

- os_dev
Hi os_dev,

Thanks for the quick fix! :mrgreen:
Please be aware: I used multiple times the contact form to request help with importing the user.
But for some reason I didn't get any reply, maybe there are some problems with the connection with opening a ticket.

os_dev

Tue May 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi flash2000,

cheers

- os_dev
Hi os_dev,

Thanks for the quick fix! :mrgreen:
Please be aware: I used multiple times the contact form to request help with importing the user.
But for some reason I didn't get any reply, maybe there are some problems with the connection with opening a ticket.
Oh I will have to track this down, I see your message at 10 am this morning, but nothing before that... do you remember at what date you wrote first ?

nullDozzer

Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:27 am

I'm getting broken subtitles from opensubtitles.com that are not broken when fetched from opensubtitles.org.

Specifically there's one line, 803, that has a endtime that is doubled? I can't think why that would happen, but the endtime in the .org file is 00:39:10,518 and in the .com file is 01:18:21,118. So the line just stays on the screen until the episode ends. Happened with another episode, but I don't know which one.

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... ockdown-en
Which lead to download (I get that URl is temporary, but maybe it helps for debugging

Code: Select all

https[:]//www.opensubtitles.com/download/E0B2AB0992F94365BA7377CD67A8114AA431FEBEF3C9082BDFFB3775802605D07AA9FBA5E7CFE5588306FF57C5B5AB32F54C8CB43547FDD18EA6B28DBC2A280AB959C2E9FDB2ADB2D91488470495C7BA20997E6833D6B6694B694036D2EA1C9100713B59FC5183A7C4E33744F58E059FC8C919BB659C4B4B0E92FFF97F800ED19AF5BD954AB88FE97DB45BAD0EE7893DE66398AB4ABB3744A205DA27C4116017B12CE1D9E3C89BF9F67189626096F4FB12C98D8410407EA3F2E5607C95B0DAAFF5F38928642C41E2CFFD854509505FFC63A3D7A9680D784AAF53F6F33D9BF58038FE3EDBDB2B9771/subfile/Castle.2009.S03E13.HDTV.XviD-LOL.srt

https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/subtit ... v-xvid-lol
Which leads to download

https[:]//dl.opensubtitles.org/en/download/sub/4068163

os_dev

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm getting broken subtitles from opensubtitles.com that are not broken when fetched from opensubtitles.org.

Specifically there's one line, 803, that has a endtime that is doubled? I can't think why that would happen, but the endtime in the .org file is 00:39:10,518 and in the .com file is 01:18:21,118. So the line just stays on the screen until the episode ends. Happened with another episode, but I don't know which one.

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... ockdown-en
Which lead to download (I get that URl is temporary, but maybe it helps for debugging

https[:]//www.opensubtitles.com/download/E0B2AB0992F94365BA7377CD67A8114AA431FEBEF3C9082BDFFB3775802605D07AA9FBA5E7CFE5588306FF57C5B5AB32F54C8CB43547FDD18EA6B28DBC2A280AB959C2E9FDB2ADB2D91488470495C7BA20997E6833D6B6694B694036D2EA1C9100713B59FC5183A7C4E33744F58E059FC8C919BB659C4B4B0E92FFF97F800ED19AF5BD954AB88FE97DB45BAD0EE7893DE66398AB4ABB3744A205DA27C4116017B12CE1D9E3C89BF9F67189626096F4FB12C98D8410407EA3F2E5607C95B0DAAFF5F38928642C41E2CFFD854509505FFC63A3D7A9680D784AAF53F6F33D9BF58038FE3EDBDB2B9771/subfile/Castle.2009.S03E13.HDTV.XviD-LOL.srt

https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/subtit ... v-xvid-lol
Which leads to download

https[:]//dl.opensubtitles.org/en/download/sub/4068163

oh wow, thank you this is as helpful as it is confusing :lol: :roll:

so it happens because opensubtitles.org is serving subtitles as static text files, while on opensubtitles.com all the subtitles are parsed to be generated on the fly, so they can be manipulated (framerate conversion, format conversion & so on)

it will require a bit of debugging to find out what happened, but you gave me all I needed so I should figure it out, thanks for reporting this.

os_dev

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:28 pm

thanks again nullDozzer for the feedback, I could find the problem and fix it

nullDozzer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:31 pm

thanks again nullDozzer for the feedback, I could find the problem and fix it
That's good to hear! Thanks for the quick response :D

pooond

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:45 pm

HI guys,

Please check this link: https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/subtit ... -spooks-it
I happen to come across it. It says "This subtitle was translated by our new experimental AI system." In other words, machine translated.

I don't wanna get into a debate whether machine translations should be accepted or not, but they shouldn't be uploaded in the name of the user that uploaded the original file. In this case I uploaded English subtitles, and there is a machine tranny on my name for an Italian version.

Can my name be removed form such files?
And I don't think it's appropriate to do that to other users, either.
Especially when they are "Trusted" uploaders.

Speaking of "Trusted", my name on subtitles on .com doesn't say "Trusted" and says "gold member".
That may need fixing, too.

Danke.

os_dev

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:50 pm

HI guys,

Please check this link: https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/subtit ... -spooks-it
I happen to come across it. It says "This subtitle was translated by our new experimental AI system." In other words, machine translated.

I don't wanna get into a debate whether machine translations should be accepted or not, but they shouldn't be uploaded in the name of the user that uploaded the original file. In this case I uploaded English subtitles, and there is a machine tranny on my name for an Italian version.
So the idea is, if a subtitle doesn't exist in a specific language, a user can request a translation from another subtitle, but this is not an upload, and this is not a machine translation.

The subtitles are translated by deepl, offering a completely different experience as the classic google translate. For now they are not specially readjusted for phrasebreaks and so on, but the translation themselves are really impressive, it's 2 generations ahead of the original google translate, I think it deserves to be labelled differently. (but sure, displaying you as the uploader was a bug)

For this, sure I get your point, comes from a simple thing, when I create a translation I duplicate all the original subtitle attributes to create a new one, that included the original uploader.

I will remove the uploader and put "opensubtiles AI" instead, and I will replace the "uploader" box below by a clear mention this is a translation, with a link to the original file.

the translated subs will be gone from your uploads list in the next few hours, time for caches to clear

Speaking of "Trusted", my name on subtitles on .com doesn't say "Trusted" and says "gold member".

Danke.
Thanks for pointing it out, it shows out in your user profile but not in the subtitles pages themselves, I'm gonna fix that on next release.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:20 pm

I don't wanna get into a debate whether machine translations should be accepted or not
Uche uche... I do.
Machine translations should NOT be accepted. In short, for TWO reasons:

1. Basically, they are (extremely) inferior. Subtitling is not only translating one language into another, it also involves technical aspects. So, even if the translation is superb, if the technical aspects are not being taking into consideration (and a machine translation doesn't!), then the subtitle AS SUBTITLE is inferior. This is extremely the case if the source subtitle is English for Enlgish spoken movies/episodes. If you want to know why, I can explain.

2. It completely demotivates every human translator. Think about it: a machine translation is done within maybe one minute. A decent human translation (subtitle) takes AT LEAST 8 hours for an average tv show episode and double for an average movie. Who would want to spend so many hours to create something decent, after a machine translation took away 95% of all first downloads, done by people who are not aware? Allowing machine translations is killing human subtitlers. Sorry, but it's simple like that.

That being said...
I totally understand and agree. Any serious user, and especially TRUSTED users or SUB TRANSLATORS would NOT want their respectable user name and reputation being connected to some inferior one-minute machine translation. But I understand this will be fixed...
Once again, agreed.
Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum member ONLY says something about the number of uploads - which has NOTHING to do with quality. Trusted, Sub Translator (and Admin) has some kind of QUALITY meaning.
Also, on the .ORG site, the silver/gold/platinum members/badge was replaced by respectively "1-2-3 star uploader", to make a more clear distiguishing between quantity and quality.
The subtitles are translated by deepl, offering a completely different experience as the classic google translate. For now they are not specially readjusted for phrasebreaks and so on, but the translation themselves are really impressive, it's 2 generations ahead of the original google translate.
Once again, I am very very sorry, I have checked a few, but those DeepL translations are not significantly better than Google, if not worse on a few levels. This is mostly noticeable when using English subs as source. But once again, please note, PLEASE NOTE, subtitling is not about translating only. Even is the translation is superb, if technique is inferior, the subtitles are useless.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

os_dev

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:31 pm

I don't wanna get into a debate whether machine translations should be accepted or not
Uche uche... I do.
Machine translations should NOT be accepted. In short, for TWO reasons:
Let's close the debate on this: machine translation are not accepted, we offer an experimental system that generates translations, these are not uploads.
I totally understand and agree. Any serious user, and especially TRUSTED users or SUB TRANSLATORS would NOT want their respectable user name and reputation being connected to some inferior one-minute machine translation. But I understand this will be fixed...
Yes. There was a 3 years old bug there, of course there was no intention of removing the TRUSTED mention
Once again, I am very very sorry, I have checked a few, but those DeepL translations are not significantly better than Google, if not worse on a few levels. This is mostly noticeable when using English subs as source. But once again, please note, PLEASE NOTE, subtitling is not about translating only. Even is the translation is superb, if technique is inferior, the subtitles are useless.
I'm not working for deepl it's fine.

We did a partnership with them, they offer us the service, we experiment with the tool, so far we don't have much feedback.

just imagine a second: you have a movie in a language you don't understand, you find subtitles in a language you don't understand either. then you try that tool. Simple as that, there's no question of replacing translators.

on a personal level I did watch entire tv show seasons, an plenty of movies with various experiments going from various languages to french and find it totally watchable, compared to what I get with google with sites like https://translatesubtitles.co/ I seriously don't get your point.

if you have specific examples of movies you watched with a google translated subtitle and one from deepl please let me know, I'll try them with french to see if it's better

pooond

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:39 pm

Thank you for your tireless work, os_dev.
I appreciate it.
And just so you know, some subtitles occasionally still aren't syncing across to the new site. Especially info like the "release name" has been changed on .org, etc. Please check that also when you're able.

And any idea when it'll go fully live?

@SmallBrother:
Thank you for agreeing. As long as machine translations aren't on my name and they're clearly marked as "AI" or "Machine Translations", then, that's good enough for me. When retail is available, then they should obviously be deleted.

os_dev

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Thank you for your tireless work, os_dev.
I appreciate it.
And just so you know, some subtitles occasionally still aren't syncing across to the new site. Especially info like the "release name" has been changed on .org, etc. Please check that also when you're able.
thanks, for the sync issues, do you have a specific example ?

when it comes to go live...you mean replace .org ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0tje6xfWs

pooond

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 pm

thanks, for the sync issues, do you have a specific example ?
Sorry, none to hand, but if I happen to come across it again, I'll send you a PM with links, etc.
when it comes to go live...you mean replace .org ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0tje6xfWs
;)

Yes, that's want I meant. And I guess you answered.

Return to “General talk”