Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Re: Give us feedback about the new site opensubtitles.com

Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:34 pm

I dont think it is on the program of the day. Those files are usually much bigger and there is some work needed to convert them to utf8. So we accept utf8 subtitle files only - same like it is standard for WEBVTT they dont accept also bitmaps...

hazylum
Subtitles Admin

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:07 pm

I see, thanks
OpenSubtitles admin since 2022 - Anime multisub uploader

gsgx

Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:34 pm

Hi, I noticed that there are subs on opensubtitles.org that are missing from opensubtitles.com. I wanted to check what the status of the beta is at this point, as in whether there are still ongoing efforts to migrate subs to the new site, or whether we should expect to see the same subs on both sites in the majority of cases.

One example of this is that there is only one english sub for this show on opensubtitles.com at the moment, while an english sub exists for each episode on opensubtitles.org:
- com: https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/en/sea ... pisode-all.
- org: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/ssearc ... ie-1130587

Here's another example, where only season 1 subs are available on .com but everything is available on .org:
com: https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/en/sea ... pisode-all
org: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/ssearc ... vie-743863

oss
Site Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:11 pm

ssa/ass imports are disabled because of compatibiliy.

bicolino34

Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:27 am

Uploads page in profile shows incorrect amount of uploaded subtitles (Uploads (0)) even though I have uploaded 20 subtitles and it shows releases that I uploaded
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/users/uploads#

bicolino34

Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:32 am

On Stats page https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/stats/ in Geographic Stats for last 30 days section when you point on country the pop-up that appears constantly blinks

bicolino34

Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:41 am

See https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/tvshow ... win-s-game
Site shows that Season 1, episode 1 has 5 subtitles (which is correct on .org site), when you go to episode 1 page .com site only shows 1 subtitle file in Japanese which is .srt. When you check .org page https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... d-11408934 you see that there are 4 more files, 2 of them are srts and two are ssa
As far as I know, ssa aren't yet synchronized with .com but srts should be available

os_dev

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:15 pm

We've almost solved all the SSA missing subs on .com, some erros might still occur, but for this example, I can see 5 subtitles for episode 5

on this page
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/tvshow ... e-aquarium

with "all" selected as preferred subtitle language.

if you see a subtitle on .org that is missing on .com, the most helpful would be to post links to the original file, such as
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... quarium-fr

then you can see where it leads you when you click on "download (beta)"

bicolino34

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:59 pm

Ah, that's my mistake about missing subtitles

amaurynogueira

Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:56 am

Can't download subtitles anymore on Mac OS X Ventura.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Can't download subtitles anymore on Mac OS X Ventura.
we love these messages :) You can not download in on www.opensubtitles.com ? Using which browser ? what error you are getting ?

...or you talk about something else...?

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:23 am

i'm about to say something that maybe will not be very appreciated, but i will say it anyway: the new site is really good (it's far superior to a lot of subtitles' sites), but the old site is way much better, at least considering from the perspective of a heavy uploader point of view...

The new site is quite "catching" for downloaders: nice images, lists of the shows, nice colors and graphics, and so on...and aside from the appearances, it's practical to browse and to be used for searching and downloading subs (even if i find the new site too "big", i mean from a "size" point of view: images too big, lots of big empty spaces in between, etc etc ...you have to move across the page too much and too often, the old one is much more "packed"). The best part is maybe all the download options are amazing: instant FPS and format conversion, delay , filename and clean-up controls, automatic translations...all these features give to the normal user some tweaking possibilities that you would have only with a subtitle software! All this stuff is great: really congratulations for the ideas and and the work!

But for someone like me who "works" with subs, the old site is unbeatable! Apart from the upload section still not present in the new one, the old one has lots of interesting and very useful features...just to name a few: very easy to use IMDB IDs to navigate through shows, lots of infos in several pages (statistics in home page, all necessary info on subs' lists, etc etc..), "very advanced search" box that gets near to total perfection (having almost all the imaginable search options), everything is well linked (you can go through users-subs-download-stats sections in one click), it's very fast in updating every stat...
Generally speaking, i have used a lot the old site (i have 4k uploads), and i spotted very few improvable things

But the question was about new site, and, to be honest, i have not used it a lot:-)
So to be fair, i would say that - to as briefer as i can (since i have not been yet:-) - the new one is the best for download, the old one is the best for upload.

All this writing was just to express that i don't know your plans for the future (if to maintain both, or to go only with the new one), but i can say that, in the periods when i upload a lot of subs, i can't imagine using something different from the old site..i really really hope that it will never be shut down, and the both of them will continue to work in parallel!

pooond

Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:25 pm

I agree. It needs to be more compact where all the relevant information is on one page on my screen. Using a PC, to get to the relevant information that I am interested in, I have to scroll right, left, up and go down-under south of Australia passing the kangaroos and then take a left south-west of Fiji to get to the information I want. It's not practical, fast or efficient way of information gathering.

I agree the old site is too old, antiquated, quaint and needs a revamp, but all the functions and info is at your fingertips. This is not nostalgia for the old site talking.
Personally I am not looking forward to the end-of-life of .org. And normally I love new software and modern looks generally. Hell, I've been waiting for Keepass password manager to update it's UI for years, but in the case of these two subtitle sites, "old is gold" expression couldn't be more true. I get some people don't like change, this isn't about that. Practicality and a lot of hidden functionality is the main reason a lot of users are loyal to OS .org. Otherwise if people just wanted a modern appeal, they would have left OS for more greener pastures years ago to other sites.

I spoke to the new developer (os_dev) several years ago, and he informed me that the original developer who has left the project designed it that way, and I don't think there is much they can do to change that look unless they started the design from scratch. I hope that is not the case any-more, as it does need changing and making it more compact.
Eventually the sites will not run parallel to each other. :(

Sorry for the negativity. Do wish the best for the project.

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:53 pm

bad news that the old site will be shut down, eventually (yeah, it was obvious, but i hoped not)...like pooond said, it's not a matter of affection at all, the point is that it's difficoult to imagine something more efficient than .ORG...doesnt matter the old graphic, functionality is way more important!

HannaJo

Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:07 pm

Advantages:
- Modern and user-friendly design
- Large and diverse subtitle collection
- API available for developers
- Free and no registration required

Disadvantages:
- Possible errors or bugs
- Possible subtitle quality issues
- Possible ads or pop-ups