Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
os_dev

Re: Give us feedback about the new site opensubtitles.com

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:51 am

Only way now to get that download timer is:
- Open Firefox, login at .org and .com
- Find any subtitle at .org and hit Download (beta).
Now this window has the timer
- If I copy the url from the Download (beta) button and remove the /download from address:
Now using Download button (at .com) doesn't give the timer
(guessing this happens because now there is time to check for browser extension)

Extra note:
After this, if I go back to .org and search a new subtitle and download it by hitting beta-link I get timer again so it forgets me.
oh okay, I didn't think of that, will try to improve the links from .org. the idea was that once you are on .com you use the search engine there

======

Did download Finnish subtitles from .org and .com for movie:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/fi/subtit ... an-film-fi
And that got me thinking.
Does beta site (.com) use UTF-8 coding where main site (.org) uses ANSI in every subtitle? Does that conversion add the extra line somehow?

Example: Beta.com (left) and Main.org (right)

Need to remember from where every subtitle was download when uploading hash info as that line messes it up.
So for now, all the subtitles are first uploaded to opensubtitles.org, then they are imported on .com

the new site reads, analyses and converts the subtitles to UFT-8. so, on .org, you can get pretty much any encoding ever used, and on .com you always get UTF-8

pooond

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi,

Under user profile "uploads" section, removed and deleted files are still showing there as uploads. Once deleted, can we have it so it's also deleted from our upload section?

Also, a lot of users on .org upload HI subs first then none HI. On .com those same subs show as HI first and then none HI.
I know this is petty, but can we have the same layout, please when transferring over? Don't want to bore you with the details as to why. :D

The boxes on the left on a subtitle page look dull with its light grey background on a big white page, hope some colour comes soon. I know we discussed that before, but just making sure that's not forgotten. :wink:

And any rough idea when uploading will be available there?
Excited and upset at the same time.

Thank you

os_dev

Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:39 am

Hi,

Under user profile "uploads" section, removed and deleted files are still showing there as uploads. Once deleted, can we have it so it's also deleted from our upload section?
well it should be the case... can you give me an example ?

Also, a lot of users on .org upload HI subs first then none HI. On .com those same subs show as HI first and then none HI.
I know this is petty, but can we have the same layout, please when transferring over? Don't want to bore you with the details as to why. :D
This is a detail I missed so much I have no idea what you talk about... again, can you give me an example ?

The boxes on the left on a subtitle page look dull with its light grey background on a big white page, hope some colour comes soon. I know we discussed that before, but just making sure that's not forgotten. :wink:
I was imposed that design when I got into the project. there is no way on earth anyone can hate this design more than me.

Yes, there was already talks about this, we are actually using mostly the default twitter boostrap design and color schemes.

if there is ever a useful suggestion on the topic it will be heard.
And any rough idea when uploading will be available there?
Excited and upset at the same time.

Thank you
no

pooond

Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:00 pm

No, check image 3, whilst logged in I have no access to user functionality so can't access my uploaded subtitles, but the subs are there in my profile.

Also link here:
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/en/sea ... _sources-1
That shows sub by "fjones" which isn't actually existent on .org main subtitle page as was probably deleted the day it was uploaded.

Not all 3 pics are showing, use link: https://imgur.com/a/a96DtjM
This is a detail I missed so much I have no idea what you talk about... again, can you give me an example ?
Image 1 is .com with HI sub at the bottom two none HI in the middle and then a HI on top.
Image 2 is .org (above pic) how the uploader uploaded above. HI and none HI for CAM versions.
Followed by HI and none HI for WEB versions.

There is no rule to this, but regular users have always uploaded in this format, but .com when it transfers subs there changes the way they are laid out. Check first pic in the link above.

os_dev

Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:55 pm

No, check image 3, whilst logged in I have no access to user functionality so can't access my uploaded subtitles, but the subs are there in my profile.

Also link here:
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/en/sea ... _sources-1
That shows sub by "fjones" which isn't actually existent on .org main subtitle page as was probably deleted the day it was uploaded.

Not all 3 pics are showing, use link: https://imgur.com/a/a96DtjM
Image 1 is .com with HI sub at the bottom two none HI in the middle and then a HI on top.
Image 2 is .org (above pic) how the uploader uploaded above. HI and none HI for CAM versions.
Followed by HI and none HI for WEB versions.

There is no rule to this, but regular users have always uploaded in this format, but .com when it transfers subs there changes the way they are laid out. Check first pic in the link above.
So, that pretty much answers the earlier question about uploads...synchronizing users and subtitles between the 2 sites is such a mess that it takes more effort than building the new uploads....I have long running scripts to go through every record and make sure all contents are proprely there, handling deletion automatically is specially messy so guess I need to run these scripts everywhere.

When it comes to the order of subtitles, they come up this way because of the dynamic datatable. Subtitles can be ordered by columns. Normally the table should remember this order for future searches, but I just noticed it doesn't anymore....

kinda stuff I can't really go too much deeper at the moment, as I'm totally rewriting all of this for the new layout.

Thank you so much for the fine details pointed out, as I need to keep an eye on so many different things it's so hard to track everything

jivan28

Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:50 am

The best would be to do some kind of roadmap and then do things one by one. For e.g. for forum why don't you use something like phpBB or something similar to that. Would save you whole lot of effort in development time. Just have to maintain it when new releases come, now and then. The best thing is you get support for all and any latest web standards without doing lots. It would be work but less work than now, hopefully :)

os_dev

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:36 am

Well, our resources are too limited to really make a schedule...when it comes to forum, what we are using right now is indeed a 12 years old install of phpbb, it's a nice forum, but it's really limited in features, so we are moving to discourse (still in internal testing at the moment)

SonKun02

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:20 pm

Hello.

A little question. On opensubtitles.com the contributor of my uploads is "anonymous". Do I have to create an account on .com or the accounts of .org will be moved later?

os_dev

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:27 am

Hello.

A little question. On opensubtitles.com the contributor of my uploads is "anonymous". Do I have to create an account on .com or the accounts of .org will be moved later?
Yes, just use the import function to create your account. If your subtitles don't show up then please send us a message

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 am

Yes, just use the import function to create your account. If your subtitles don't show up then please send us a message

The link of "send us a message" is wrong (it's the same as "import").
I think you can edit your post. If not, tell me what the link should be and I will edit it.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

SonKun02

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:35 pm

Hello.

Thank you for your answers. I have imported my profile, but, like you said, my uploads are empty.

lxs602

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:28 pm

The new site looks good.

Only a minor spelling issue, on this page, https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/users/edit , "Preffered subtitle languages" should be "Preferred subtitle languages".

os_dev

Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:42 am

Hello.

Thank you for your answers. I have imported my profile, but, like you said, my uploads are empty.
I see 203 uploads on your account, is it correct now ?

os_dev

Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:46 am

The new site looks good.

Only a minor spelling issue, on this page, https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/users/edit , "Preffered subtitle languages" should be "Preferred subtitle languages".
oh, thanks, will fix that.

SonKun02

Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:20 pm

Hello.

I see 203 uploads on your account, is it correct now ?
No, on my account on opensubtitles.org, I see 16588 uploads.

Return to “General talk”