Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
portaliscool

Some one stole my subtitle from another site.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am

Hey there, I made this account just to file a complaint against one user: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/profile/iduser-6745465

I recently finished my english subtitles for Ralph Breaks the Internet and uploaded it to subscene (https://subscene.com/subtitles/ralph-br ... sh/1907771) and mere minutes (or seconds i dunno) this user stole my subtitle and the description too (https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... nternet-en), making it look like as if the ******** did all the hard work. (sorry for the crass language here im ticked off).

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Some one stole my subtitle from another site.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Yes, those kind of words are kind of distracting from the issue, so I have replaced it by some stars.
Please read the forum rules on top of the page

Later on, I will have a look on what's going on.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Okay, here are my findings:
- The subs are exactly the same.
- The description is exactly the same.
- I do not know (for sure) which one was earlier. Subscene says upload time is 1/3/2019 9:08 PM and "13 hours ago" and upload time by novabros on OpenSubtitles is 10:22:16 PM. Things depend on the time zone subscene is using and of course if the clock of their server is correct. So this is questionable, but it LOOKS like you were earlier and I will just give you the benefit of the doubt.

Now novabros has copied your subtitle and copied your text and I agree, it looks like he/she made the subtitles, partly because the (copied) text is written in the "I" form. However, that does not mean that novabros deliberately make it look like this. Maybe yes, maybe no. He/she just copied the text.

Also, the subtitles are exactly the same, but there are no credits inside the subtitle itself. Novabros did not delete any credits or literally claimed anywhere or anyhow to be the creator. It would be nice if he/she would mention your name, but novabros did not break any rules concerning credits, see https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... =1&t=15787

Further, I think it should be understood that if you upload subtitles on some site, they will start to travel all over the internet, rather sooner than later. Uploading subs on a subtitle site is not unreasonable.

But, I totally understand you. It doesn't look good/correct and it doesn't feel nice. I know myself how much time is involved in making subtitles. So this is what I have done:
   • I clearly stated in the additional info that the subtitles were made by you.
   • I added some text to make clear the comment is a copied text by the creator (you)
   • I mentioned you in the field "Translator"

To avoid this in the future (and a lot of trouble and work for you and the admins), my request to you:
   • I saw you have an account on the subtitle site as well now. When you upload subs somewhere, upload them to OpenSubtitles as well (don't forget to log in first). Then they will be on your account and you have full control on what is written, how, and where.
   • If you make subtitles, include credits inside the subtitle, a simple line of text at the very end, saying "Transcript by portaliscool" or whatever you like. Then it is clear for everybody, for once and for all. And also, there is a reference point just in case any trouble about credits arises.

I hope this satisfies you.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

portaliscool

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:46 pm

hey there my friendo i just want to say thank you for helping me with this issue.

regarding the part where i had an opensubtitles account: yes i do have an account but that was made after i realized that novabros uploaded my subtitle, which was about 6-7 hours, i think.

including credits: i do plan to do that in the subtitle but i didnt want the viewers feel annoyed by it so i cancelled that. im sorry about that. i will add credits to my subtitles in the future.

sorry for making a big deal out of this.

portaliscool

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:49 pm

oh wait i remember now i once uploaded a subtitle of hardcore henry here how come i didnt remember that? i didnt even remember ever making an account there

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:15 pm

regarding the part where i had an opensubtitles account: yes i do have an account but that was made after i realized that novabros uploaded my subtitle, which was about 6-7 hours, i think.
I know, I saw that. But just for the future.
including credits: i do plan to do that in the subtitle but i didnt want the viewers feel annoyed by it so i cancelled that. im sorry about that. i will add credits to my subtitles in the future.
Nice that you dont want to bother the viewers. What you can do is putting the credits in a 'least-intrusive' way. I mean, for example NOT immediately after the last line of spoken text, bitch slapping the viewer right out of the spell of the movie and explaining the movie is over. Instead:
- Put them when the movie credits also start, or a black screen at the end, things like that.
- Keep it modest and short, lets say a few seconds.
- Only at the very end of the movie.
sorry for making a big deal out of this.
No problem, I understand.
I just hope I don't have to do this every day ;-)

Return to “General talk”