Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
pyro12

VPN woes and donating

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:37 pm

So, for years I've been promising myself that when I have enough money I'll start donating to open source software developers and free websites I use. I finally decided that I'm never going to have "enough" money and that I should just start giving one small donation a month to different developers...

Opensubtitles' time has come! However, I ALWAYS use a VPN for ANY online activities. This is a personal choice and I'd rather this not turn into a debate about the merits/disadvantages of doing so. It seems that most of the IPs I get assigned are "throttled" by opensubtitles or something. I have to try repeatedly to download subtitles, waiting each time for a timeout before I can try again. (I have verified that things work normally without the VPN) It's frustrating enough that, for the programs that allow it, I have been using other subtitle sources (none of which seem to have this problem).

My question is if my problems will continue if I become a VIP member. Not all the programs I use allow me to log in, but I was thinking that maybe logging in via website using the same IP might do it? Or are VPNs and opensubtitles simple never going to play well together?

Lander

Re: VPN woes and donating

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:14 pm

No problems to me, how do you start the download? In the DOWNLOAD button or do you click in srt file?
I use this free vpn, SoftEther VPN Client.

[Google link with a bunch of dll and exe files removed by SmallBrother. Better use this:]
https://www.softether.org

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: VPN woes and donating

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:13 am

Hi,

Thanks for the consideration.

I use a VPN on here without problems and no throttling. Throttling can come from your home router, VPN itself or the fact that the ISP or server you're using is congested. Some IP's of VPN providers sometimes get blocked on here because people use them as spamming, but not throttled. A few of mine were blocked, which I had unblocked, but there is no throttling here of VPN providers. Check your speed using speed.net with and without your VPN when that happens, and that might explain a few things, hopefully.

The site around the time of your initial post was actually down quite a bit and none-responsive, as the owner was away on holiday, maybe that is what you actually experienced?

Return to “General talk”