Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
dikido

Who wants to help me making a subtitle (Australian English)?

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:03 pm

I have a movie I want to subtitle but it's in australian english and some sentences are hard to understand. Is there anyone that is willing to help subbing this movie? I can provide a source of the movie hosted somewhere.

Movie in question is BMX Bandits (1980).

dikido

Re: Who wants to help me making a subtitle (Australian English)?

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:47 am

The english ones are messed up. They do not match to what the movie says.

Movie: "Shut up with the captain's talk."
Subtitle: "Keep quiet when the captain speaking."

Martin1964

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Your very welcome!

From no subtitles to varies languages. There are no official subs for this movie ever made.
Feel free to make a verbatim version. A translation is not a subtitle, just my two cents.

Good luck with your project.

dikido

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:43 am

This post is me asking for help from someone who understands Australian ENG better than me. I'd sync the subtitle and all that, but just have issues understanding what they're saying.

Do you know someone that can help me?

Vickers

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:38 pm

What kind of help do you need, Dikido? Help with translation or technical help?
The sizegenetics is nice.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm

The last post by TS dikido still had to be approved before appearing.
The answer to Vickers' question now is in there: dikido needs linguistical help.

No idea if he/she wants to make an English verbatim transcript or a translation into another language.

If a literal transcript, please note what Martin1964 said. A verbatim transcript of the movie might be useless as a normal subtitle for technical reasons. Maximum reading speed is much lower than maximum speaking speed. And with subtitles you only have one change (contrary to for example reading a book). Therefore the spoken text might need to be compressed (the same thing rewritten in less words) to give the reader the opportunity to read the text within the given time.

For example:
Speech: It is very important to understand that it is humanly impossible to read the bible within just one second.
If we only have two seconds to read, the text must be compressed:
Subtitle text: It's impossible to read the bible in one second.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

dikido

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Yes I need the English verbatim transcript. Everything that's said by the actors I need to put into a subtitle. I need help understanding what the actors are saying.

@Vickers do you have time to help? Maybe chatting on discord would be easier or keybase or whatever else?

Return to “General talk”