Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
emf

srt files start time after end of video

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:09 pm

I've been downloading Doctor Who episodes (mp4) and their subtitles (srt), giving them the same file name and putting them in the same directory to play them together.
Some srt files, however, have the start time *after* the start time of a single segment; though each episode lasts 25', they start at 26'.
How do I use them?

Martin1964

Re: srt files start time after end of video

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Make sure the name of the episode match the name of the .srt file.

Doctor.Who.2005.S10E12.1080p.HEVC.x265-MeGusta.srt will only "fit"on the Megusta version and not on the Doctor.Who.2005.S10E12.The.Doctor.Falls.720p.AMZN.WEBRip.DD5.1.x264-NTb video file.

emf

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:10 am

Look at this srt file

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... rt-four-en

1 starts at 2 hours Each part, however, is less than 30'. Does this make sense

Martin1964

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm

What is the name of your videofile?

leviathanguthrie

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello @emf, one site that might help you is http://subshifter.bitsnbites.eu/

You can use this to change subtitle timings a fixed amount. However, if you find a file like the one you link to above, it might be a bit of a mess in general.

It goes back in seconds, I believe, so if you want it to go back two hours, type -7200, that will make the 2:29:00 into 0:29:00

emf

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:56 am

I change the filenames of the files I download. In this particular case they are:

0851 Seeds Doom.mp4
0852 Seeds Doom.mp4
0853 Seeds Doom.mp4
all are about 25', and the srt files :

0851 Seeds Doom.srt
0052 Seeds Doom.srt

Up until now in all previous episodes the srt files' starting time is 0'...

Martin1964

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:11 pm

I feel you are making an error in understanding the relation between a video file and the matching .srt

A video file can include (taken out) commercials, DVD will never have commercials between scenes, and sometimes a video file can includes a "previous in..." as a starter. The person providing the .srt file will make sure the lines will be synced based on the same video file.

I think you are downloading a video file and re-name them as mentioned. Than you look for a .srt file with the same season/episode and rename them matching your video file. This will not work.

You really need to download a video file with the matching .srt file (like the video: Doctor Who - S12E01 (075) - Robot (1).avi) and find the matching .srt (like 075 s12e01p01 Robot.eng.srt) and quickly check if the work together. I guarantee you if you download a .srt called "Doctor.Who.2005.S1201.720p.AMZN.WEBRip.DD5.1.x264-NTb" it will not match.

Of course you can rename AFTER matching the files, be aware renaming will never automatically adjust the timing of the .srt

I hope this helps!

emf

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks.

Still I cannot understand how the subtitles and start at 2h, unless other srt files kick in before.

The problem is, so far I've been downloading videos with some generic title (e.g. GorilaVidJustWatchIt.mp4) and then find a corresponding srt file. They usually match. In some cases when they don't, I have an OpenOffice macro to adjust the srt times for a couple of seconds when necessary -- but not for several minutes... Maybe I'll make another macro for this.

BTW, is there an srt editor I can use instead of a macro?

oss
Site Admin

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 pm

I agree, subtitles starting at 2 hours is just quite insane. You can download https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... rt-four-en - resynced already.
For subtitle shifting I recommend Subtitle Edit or any other subtitle editor, there are plenty of them

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

Subtitle Edit is great, free and open source.
You can get it here: http://www.nikse.dk

It is a very fancy subtitle editor (hmmm... hence the name) but fairly easy to use for your purpose.
You probably just need to shift time and maybe additionally stretch or shrink the synchronisation using the point synch method or changing frame rate. These can be found in the menu drop down list "Synchronization".
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

emf

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks everybody. This is a quite active forum. I just downloaded the Subtitle Edit and I'll be installing it shortly.

In the meantime, I did made another macro to shift 1' up with each click. I hope I won't have to use it.

oss, where did you find that srt file? I could also use parts 3, 4, and 6.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:34 pm

I just downloaded the Subtitle Edit and I'll be installing it shortly.
In the meantime, I did made another macro to shift 1' up with each click. I hope I won't have to use it.
You just found The Gold Treasure. Now forget about macros.
oss, where did you find that srt file? I could also use parts 3, 4, and 6.
Seek and thy shall find (the link "All subtitles for this TV Series")
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/ssearc ... movie-9226
That's all we have.
I haven't checked, but I think the sync of the other three subs you want are okay - that's why leviathanguthrie only uploaded one.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”