Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Ame90

Best way to generate/get subtitles (spanish)

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Hello,
I need the spanish subtitles of a spanish movie because I need it for my students. I need them in a month.
Do you have any ideas how I could get the subtitles? I was asking myself if there is any software to create spanish subtitles (like youtube does), if there are websites where I can hire someone for money, etc.
I'm thankful for any help!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Best way to generate/get subtitles (spanish)

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:56 pm

You could post a request or contact translators directly. However, unless it's a very popular and new movie, I think chances are pretty low, since there are zillion of people wanting subs for this or that movie and only a few translators. (Btw, please DO NOT post your request in this forum - for the same reason, this forum would be flooded and rendered useless.)

You could try to find the movie on DVD or Bluray with the Spanish subtitles and rip the subtitles from that disk. It may be worth it to check if a torrent of the video file with embedded subs exists.

You could try your idea with Youtube. Upload the movie, and use their speech recognition system to generate the subtitles. Keep in mind that most probably the result will be far from perfect and needing some or a lot of corrections.

Or, if you just need a rough written meaning of the text (instead of the exact literal transcript), you could try taking any existing subtitle in any language and let Google translate it. I think best results are using English as source, but same same as with Youtube, this will still be poor quality and needing a lot of manual corrections.

I wouldn't know about paid subtitlers. The OpenSubtitles community is crowded with non-paid volunteers doing their hobby. You would need to find a professional. Keep in mind that this will not be cheap. Depending on the length and complexity of the movie, making subtitles takes roughly 10-20 hours. Multiply that by an average hour salary.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Martin1964

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Ame90, I have send you an email.

Ame90

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 am

Thanks for your help.
I didn't find any DVD with spanish subtitles, but finally the upload on youtube worked. I still have some corrections to do as I need the exactly transcription, but that's ok, it's already less work for me.

leviathanguthrie

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 am

I have uploaded a lot of Spanish stuff:

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... er-6433647

The best source are online players - Movistar Plus (if you are in Spain), Amazon Prime, Netflix, Atresplayer, RTVE, etc. A lot of these pages offer a free month's trial, and you can rip the subtitles files from there with a little patience.

Instructions found on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spanish/commen ... ish_shows/

About netflix:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382 ... -subtitles

Obviously, there is no certainty that you will find your movie, but the more of us who do this, the better Spanish materials there will be for learning purposes.

Return to “General talk”