Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
pinpro589

Need help for the meaning of song in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) movie

Sat May 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi guys,

I'm translating the subtitle of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) from English to my country language.
I know it a very old movie but I like it and till this day, I haven't found any subtitle of that movie in my language. So I decided to create a new one.
It's a musical movie having many songs and I can't ignore to translate these songs.
In the Lyrics below. Sentences that be Bold is the most of which I couldn't guess the meaning.
Could you guys have any idea about these sentences?
I'll very appreciate that.
It's just one song and this musical movie have many of it. I also have a lot of things to do :)))

Bless Your Beautiful Hide
Howard Keel
Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be
We ain't met yet but I'm a-willing to bet
You're the gal for me
Bless your beautiful hide
You're just as good as lost
I don't know your name but I'm a-stakin' my claim
Lest your eyes is crossed
Oh, I'd swap my gun and I'd swap my mule
Though whoever took it would be one big fool
Or pay your way through cookin' school
If'n you would say I Do

Bless your beautiful hide, prepare to bend your knee
And take that vow 'cause I'm a-tellin' you now
You're the gal for me
Pretty and trim but kinda slim
Heavenly eyes but, oh, that size
She's gotta be right to be the bride for me
Pretty and trim but not too slim
Heavenly eyes and just the right size
Simple and sweet, and sassy as can be!
Bless her beautiful hide
Yes, she's the gal for me
Songwriters: Gene De Paul / Johnny Mercer
Bless Your Beautiful Hide lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Thanks you so much for spending you time.

hector

Re: Need help for the meaning of song in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) movie

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Though I think this is not the best place to discuss this kind of things and though I'm not the most appropriate person to do this since English is not my mother tongue, I'll try to give you some hints.

First of all, it is A SONG. And songs don't always have to make sense. Sometimes it's just poetry. Starting with the title "bless your beautiful hide". I'm not sure but I think the place where she is hiding must be beautiful, perhaps because she is there. The word "gal" is a colloquial term for "girl".

I'd pay your way through cookin' school if then you would say "I do" (I marry you)

"kinda" -> kind of

Hope that helps

hector

Re: Need help for the meaning of song in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) movie

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:14 pm

hide
2: body covering of a living animal [syn: {hide}, {pelt}, {skin}]

But I'm a-stakin' my claim
Lest your eyes is crossed.

I stick to what I just said unless you are cross-eyed.

Pretty and trim but kinda slim.
Heavenly eyes but oh that size,

In the film you can see a couple of girls pass by, so that's it,
they are not perfect.

Amyus

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi, I have a few comments, which I hope will help you in your translation.

Firstly, the lyrics are written in a colloquial form of American English, supposedly spoken by the 'cowboy' type, so none of them are 'correct' English anyway.

Bless your beautiful hide - as mentioned in other comments, a 'hide' is a skin. In the context of the song, this character is comparing the young woman's appearance to a flawless hide, hence 'your beautiful hide'. In other words she is beautiful in his eyes.

You're the gal for me - 'gal' is simply a colloquialism for 'girl' and a term that was generally thought to be used by cowboys.

...but I'm a-stakin' my claim. This is another example of 'cowboy' speak. The line means that the singer is declaring his interest in the girl in question. To 'stake a claim' is to make your interest public or official. He uses the archaic variant 'a-stakin' (missing the 'g' from the end of 'staking'), which indicates this is not a man of high education. He's a down to earth type of a man. No one nowadays uses 'a' before a verb.

'gotta' is just slang for 'got to', similar to 'gotten', which is habitually used by Americans.

'kinda' is slang for 'kind of' as is being used in the comparative sense.

Bommel44

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi,
Maybe this will help: There are Dutch subs on "open subtitles" This song has been 'translated' into dutch
If you let Google translate it to English or your own language it could help to find better words
Google will not solve your problem entirely, but is sure can help you..

Crashhot

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi guys,

I'm translating the subtitle of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) from English to my country language.
I know it a very old movie but I like it and till this day, I haven't found any subtitle of that movie in my language. So I decided to create a new one.
It's a musical movie having many songs and I can't ignore to translate these songs.
In the Lyrics below. Sentences that be Bold is the most of which I couldn't guess the meaning.
Could you guys have any idea about these sentences?
I'll very appreciate that.
It's just one song and this musical movie have many of it. I also have a lot of things to do :)))

Bless Your Beautiful Hide
Howard Keel
Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be "bless your beautiful skin"
We ain't met yet but I'm a-willing to bet
You're the gal for me "you're the girl for me"
Bless your beautiful hide
You're just as good as lost "You should give up I'm going to win you"
I don't know your name but I'm a-stakin' my claim "I don't know your name but I'm saying you're going to be mine"
Lest your eyes is crossed "unless your eyes are crossed"
Oh, I'd swap my gun and I'd swap my mule
Though whoever took it would be one big fool
Or pay your way through cookin' school
If'n you would say I Do
"I would pay for you to go to cooking school if you would agree to marry me"
Bless your beautiful hide, prepare to bend your knee
And take that vow 'cause I'm a-tellin' you now
You're the gal for me "you're the girl for me"
Pretty and trim but kinda slim "pretty and fit and slim"
Heavenly eyes but, oh, that size
She's gotta be right to be the bride for me
Pretty and trim but not too slim
Heavenly eyes and just the right size
Simple and sweet, and sassy as can be!
Bless her beautiful hide
Yes, she's the gal for me
Songwriters: Gene De Paul / Johnny Mercer
Bless Your Beautiful Hide lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Thanks you so much for spending you time.

pinpro589

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 pm

hide
2: body covering of a living animal [syn: {hide}, {pelt}, {skin}]

But I'm a-stakin' my claim
Lest your eyes is crossed.

I stick to what I just said unless you are cross-eyed.

Pretty and trim but kinda slim.
Heavenly eyes but oh that size,

In the film you can see a couple of girls pass by, so that's it,
they are not perfect.
Dear hector,

I'm so sorry that I forgot this post for a long time. I was married at that time so I didn't remember this post.
Thank you so much your help. It's like missing pieces for the puzzle that I can guess the meaning of song accurately.
Now I'm go back to translate and hope to get it done soon.

pinpro589

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi, I have a few comments, which I hope will help you in your translation.

Firstly, the lyrics are written in a colloquial form of American English, supposedly spoken by the 'cowboy' type, so none of them are 'correct' English anyway.

Bless your beautiful hide - as mentioned in other comments, a 'hide' is a skin. In the context of the song, this character is comparing the young woman's appearance to a flawless hide, hence 'your beautiful hide'. In other words she is beautiful in his eyes.

You're the gal for me - 'gal' is simply a colloquialism for 'girl' and a term that was generally thought to be used by cowboys.

...but I'm a-stakin' my claim. This is another example of 'cowboy' speak. The line means that the singer is declaring his interest in the girl in question. To 'stake a claim' is to make your interest public or official. He uses the archaic variant 'a-stakin' (missing the 'g' from the end of 'staking'), which indicates this is not a man of high education. He's a down to earth type of a man. No one nowadays uses 'a' before a verb.

'gotta' is just slang for 'got to', similar to 'gotten', which is habitually used by Americans.

'kinda' is slang for 'kind of' as is being used in the comparative sense.
Dear Amyus,

I'm so sorry for not replying to you for a very long time. I got some business so I forgot this post.
Are you a native American? It's look like you know a lot of Cowboy, your information provide me more deep about the singer who sang that song.
So beside translate as close to the meaning as possible, I should also make the viewer to realize the situation, status of movie and every person in it through subtitle. I really excited with this idea.
Thank you a lot for your comments.

pinpro589

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi,
Maybe this will help: There are Dutch subs on "open subtitles" This song has been 'translated' into dutch
If you let Google translate it to English or your own language it could help to find better words
Google will not solve your problem entirely, but is sure can help you..
Hi Bommel44,

I downloaded and checked it already. It a good idea to try another language to find out the meaning of that origin language :))
Thank you so much for your hint.

Amyus

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi. No problem about the late reply. We all have a life so you can't expect to be everywhere at once! No, I'm not American. I'm English. However, I write subtitles in both English and American English, depending on what a client requests. I also write Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (SDH) and I'm presently subtitling Audio Descriptions (AD). I confess I know very little about cowboys, other than what I've seen in films - although I've always enjoyed the Clint Eastwood 'man with no name' style of films, such as the Dollars Trilogy (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly), High Plains Drifter etc. Best of luck with your project.

pinpro589

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi Amyus. From a very little knowledge I have searched on the internet, Audio Descriptions (AD) help blind and visually impaired consumers to understand the media they're enjoy, this job and SDH are really meaningful for this life especially for disability. Respect.
I'm a Vietnamses so old film of Clint Eastwood are not usually show on National Channels, and at that time we didn't have internet for information. But fortunately, I had watch "Flags of our father" and "Letters from Iwo Jima", these 2 look like opposite but connected and brought many special emotions than or the war movie. I'll take a look for Clint Eastwood old movie if I have time. I also a fan of Quentin Tarantino, every movie of him is unique.
Seven Bridges for Seven Brothers is one of rarely old movie that was showed on our National Channels, I watched it when I was 10 years old. But it's so good so I must find it and have a complete movie with subtitle, I want my kid to watch it like I was. Now I'm 26 years old. :))

Return to “General talk”