Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Sugestion about new BH style for subtitles

Fri May 11, 2018 10:46 am

I think I have been listening (reading) your proposal with an open mind - why follow standards if they are not good? Why not try something new? But I am truly convinced some standards ARE good and your method is not better but really worse. I gave you reasons and examples why, also some others.
I don't want to follow grammatical rules simply because they are grammatically correct, but because they make the reading faster and easier to understand, which is crucial with subtitles. Contrary to reading a book, where you can go back and re-read the line, with subtitles the reader has only one and very often a very short chance. That was the point of my example about the dot after Mr and Mrs: this is grammatically NOT correct, but much easier to read, so that's why it is common and preferred in subtitles.

You are saying: why not try?
Why try something which I am convinced it is not better but worse?

You are saying: what harm can it do?
Continuing on the 'fact' that I think your method is worse, the harm is that 1. people get worse subtitles, 2. other (beginning) subtitlers may think that this is how things 'should be'.

You are saying: let's try and see if people like it.
How can we know if people like it? Rating? I have seen amazingly bad machine translations getting (multiple) 10/10 ratings. The number of thank-you's? Same same, people thank for getting something, it's not a measure of quality. Number of downloads? Same same, typically the first upload gets the most downloads. And many people choose for subs with the most downloads, so it has a snowball-effect.
A poll or an open discussion - that could be something. But look at THIS forum topic. So far it's five against one...
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Re: Sugestion about new BH style for subtitles

Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am

Hoćeš li mi
pisati? - Svakako
Definitely NO

Whether it is Serbian, Spanish or English I think this is bad practice. This is more legible and clear:
Hoćeš li mi pisati?
- Svakako

I occasionaly use this style but ONLY to put a 2-letter or 3-letter word like "yes" when the first dialog line is very long and splitting the dialog would result in a very short (quick) sub for the "yes".

Return to “General talk”