Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
abhi

What should be the subtitle for equation that are being dictated

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello everyone,
Actually I'm in midst of a dilemma, I have a video of a programmer talking about programming.
Now there comes a time when he starts writing and dictating an equation, so what should be the subtitle? of this.
the "exact equation" or the "diction"? For example if he dictates, "x is equal to y " or "x is greater than y",

So the subtitle could be A) "x is equal to y " or "x is greater than y"
or B) "x = y" or "x > y"

Any help in this regard will be appreciated!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: What should be the subtitle for equation that are being dictated

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Nice one...

Subtitles should be clear and easily readable and understandable for everybody.

I think pretty much most people understand the "=" symbol. Maybe the same for ">". So for those to examples it wouldn't matter too much (although I think words look ' nicer', the same like "Here are two examples" looks nicer than "Here are 2 examples").

But what about more 'advanced' symbols, like infinity (∞), similarity (~), identical (≡), difference (∆), etc.? I think for those you would definitely be better off with writing them in words.

Also, subtitles have limited available time and space.

So here is a problem: what about if there is not enough time or space to use words? Or complex stuff like ∑ xᵢ = x1 + x2 + ... + xn ? Try to write that in words, maybe within two seconds and 40 characters. And would it be more clear, or less clear?

As subtitler you would have to consider a bunch of things (readability, CPS-ratio, line length, etc. - see above). But also, who is your audience? I would say six year old kids will not watch a video about programming (although some six year old kids are better in programming than a lot of adults). Or is it made for a bunch of super intelligent and highly educated Einsteins? I think Einstein would understand the symbol for infinity ;-)

I think the bottom-line is that there is no right or wrong, the subtitler should consider all these things and decide what is best.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

abhi

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

That was helpful, yes time and space really matters.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:26 pm

That was helpful, yes time and space really matters.
I'm glad it was.
And yes, subtitles are like real life: time and space really matters.
:)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

kerremelk

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:18 am

Hi, If the guy is writing the equations on a blackboard, fully visible to the viewer and mouths (says/explains) what he writes, it might be advisable to not repeat symbols in the translation because what is on the blackboard is what really matters.
At least, that's my two cents worth.
Oh, when I was 15 or so, and infinity was sorta explained, I tried to understand it and felt my brain slowly cook.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am

Oh, when I was 15 or so, and infinity was sorta explained, I tried to understand it and felt my brain slowly cook.
And this is how subtitlers are born :)

Return to “General talk”