Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Mazrim Taim

What's wrong with the IMDb rating?

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:23 pm

I've seen it a few times now. IMDb rating remains at 0.0, though clearly the user rating is not 0.
So what's up? Bad connection? Or not frequently checked?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: What's wrong with the IMDb rating?

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am

These are recent episodes, with cache being in the game. The value 0.0 was stored when there were no ratings yet.
If you check now, you will see a rating of 7.7 for episode 5.
Episode 6 still has 0.0 - but that's just a matter of time.

Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Mazrim Taim

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 pm

These are recent episodes, with cache being in the game. The value 0.0 was stored when there were no ratings yet.
If you check now, you will see a rating of 7.7 for episode 5.
Episode 6 still has 0.0 - but that's just a matter of time.
Well, I somehow doubt it's (only) a caching problem.
It isn't just related to recent episodes. Take a look at for instance this title, which still says 0.0 on Opensubtitles.

It's been around since 13 October 2017 and uploaded since October 28. Not exactly 'recent'. I would call 'recent' less than 1 week.

A title that is recent (November 6) is already listed (7.2)

Something similar occurs with Z Nation s04e06. Still shown at 0.0, while on IMDb it stands at 8.8, though this I could imagine being a caching 'thing'. It's only 3 days old and can be considered 'recent'.

Could perhaps the total amount of votes play a role in all this?
Anyway, it's not an enormous problem. It's just something I've noticed for a while now and (curious as I am) I'd like to know why this is happening.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm sorry, but from here I am going into guessing...

I don't think the number of IMDb votes has a direct influence, but indirectly it does. Because IMDb only starts to display a rating after a certain amount of votes. Now my guess is that one episode is older, but has less ratings or reached the minimum at a later moment than the more recent episode. That would explain - because the displaying of the rating on OpenSubtitles is not depending of a certain amount of time after the episode, but a certain amount of time after rating greater than 0.

Another guess is that something just goes wrong. Especially with IMDb data displayed on OpenSubtitles this happens every now and then. Then it's still a matter of waiting. Or an admin (or a Trusted member) does an "IMDb update". Often this solves any problem related to IMDb data.

I have no more theories :)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”