Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
blueshark222

Error: The subtitles has invalid format when uploading

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi,

When I upload subtitle with client https://github.com/vankasteelj/opensubtitles-uploader I got this error:

Code: Select all

The subtitle has invalid format
Similar error when I try upload by web.

I reviewed .srt file and there are no links inside.

Steps to reproduce:
- open client opensubtitles-uploader
- fill fields
a) IMDB: tt6633692
b) File name: Mr.Robot.S03E04.720p.HDTV.x264-AVS
c) language portuguese
d) etc
- load subtitle file Mr.Robot.S03E04.720p.HDTV.x264-AVS.srt https://ufile.io/um8k0
- click in upload

Actual results:
- Error https://ibb.co/mvGtXb

Expected result:
- Upload successfully

Aditional information:
- printscreen from filled form https://ibb.co/mctAdG

Any idea? ths

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Error: The subtitles has invalid format when uploading

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:36 am

Wow, I wish everybody was as thorough as you with supplying information :)

That message about 'advertising URL' is just one possible reason and very common. But it is not the only possible reason for rejection.
Try removing/reducing the many lines with the same text:
♪ Tudo significa nada para mim ♪

This might solve the problem.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

blueshark222

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:18 am

That message about 'advertising URL' is just one possible reason and very common. But it is not the only possible reason for rejection.
Suggestions to client developers:
a) error message display when possible line number from .srt file that raise exception
or
b) console messages like VLC (tool > messages)
Try removing/reducing the many lines with the same text:
♪ Tudo significa nada para mim ♪

This might solve the problem.

First test:
- remove bottom lines with repeated text "♪ Tudo significa nada para mim ♪"
- file: https://ufile.io/onh5m
- result: same error message

Second test:
- remove all musical note symbol "♪"
- remove another little blocks of repeated text
- result: upload succefull https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... atapar2-pt

Thanks.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 pm

I am not sure what you mean... The second URL you mention is a different subtitle (different file), in a different language section (Portuguese and Brazlilian Portuguese are defined as two different languages), uploaded by someone else. What makes you expect your subtitle would appear there?
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Does not appear there because when you upload the subtitle you chose the wrong language.
You chose the PT / PT language so it is in the PT / PT section and not in the PT / BR where it should be!
This happens often, I do not know if it is the users who choose the wrong language at the time of upload, if the system problem or there are many users who do not know the difference between PT / PT and PT / BR.

Anyway I have already moved the subtitle to the section PT / BR.

blueshark222

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:47 am

Anyway I have already moved the subtitle to the section PT / BR.
Ok, thank you

oss
Site Admin

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 am

the debug for advertisement there is for reason, then attackers/spammers can change the text very easily.

blueshark222

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 am

the debug for advertisement there is for reason, then attackers/spammers can change the text very easily.
that's not the case. I'm not spammer. In first upload there is no spam. It's a false positive = bug.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:02 pm

that's not the case. I'm not spammer. In first upload there is no spam. It's a false positive = bug.
A lot of the same lines COULD indicate spamming/abuse, but also, within a genuine subtitle it is general practice to avoid this. Another example is the italic tag with a capital i ("<I>"). This happens a lot with machine translated subtitles. It does not mean that it IS a machine translation, but it COULD be. Also here, general practice is to use lowercase i for italics tags. And like this there are a zillion of criteria. The idea is (should be) that if a subtitle is made well, it should pass that filter. Don't get me wrong, but in that sense, your first upload was not made well, so it didn't pass...

What Oss was saying, he means that if the error would exactly say what is wrong and where, real spammers/abusers would know exactly what to do.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:27 pm

I couldn't stay it better, SmallBrother, very good answer.

blueshark222

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm

What Oss was saying, he means that if the error would exactly say what is wrong and where, real spammers/abusers would know exactly what to do.
Ok, now makes sense.
It does not mean that it IS a machine translation, but it COULD be. Also here, general practice is to use lowercase i for italics tags. And like this there are a zillion of criteria.
Ok, I've written it all down.
My work was based in subtitle uploaded in opensubtitles.org. I don't change tags. I only translate.

Thanks.

Return to “General talk”