Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
VLM

New user - Have Polish subtitles, but need English

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Greetings. This is my first post here.

I use VLC, and I just downloaded Open Subtitle MKV Player. I'm trying to watch Stargate Atlantis with English subtitles, because I am hard of hearing. I am not particularly technical, and I can't figure out how to find and associate subtitles using VLC. Using the OS MKV Player, I successfully located and am playing the first episode with subtitles, but the subtitles are in Polish (I think). On the Open Subtitles menu > OpenSubtitles.org, I select English, but it appears to have no effect.

How can I find a copy with English subtitles, or how can I display English subtitles? Also, how can I turn display of subtitles off?

Thank you.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: New user - Have Polish subtitles, but need English

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:13 pm

I am not sure if I understand you well. Sounds like the Polish subtitles are built inside the video file you have and are set as default by the one who made the video container.

The most elementary way of having subtitles displayed is to give the subtitle file the same name as the video file. For example:
Video file name is:
Pirates.of.the.Caribbean.Dead.Men.Tell.No.Tales.2017.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv
Subtitle file should be:
Pirates.of.the.Caribbean.Dead.Men.Tell.No.Tales.2017.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.srt
These two files need to be in the same folder on your computer.

Not all subtitle files will be suitable for your video file. The timing (synchronisation) needs to be 'matching' with the video file you have. So when you choose a subtitle, choose the one that already has this file name or the one with this as given release name. For this example, it would be this one: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... o-tales-en . Mostly it will be okay then.

In VLC player you can turn them off and on again like this:
Subtitle > Sub track... > Disable
Subtitle > Sub track... > Track 1
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”