Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
janetb

Can't see second line of subtitles

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

When subtitles are a separate file, I see them fine when viewing the video in viewers on my computer. However, on my (oldish) TV, it only shows the top line of the subtitles. The second line is apparently off screen. Can I fix this?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Janet

Funchalense
Site Admin

Re: Can't see second line of subtitles

Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:34 pm

When subtitles are a separate file, I see them fine when viewing the video in viewers on my computer. However, on my (oldish) TV, it only shows the top line of the subtitles. The second line is apparently off screen. Can I fix this?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Janet
Make sure the TV is on 16:9 (wide) mode.
And see if the subtitle file is on ansi.

janetb

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 pm

It was already 16:9 and ansi....:-(....

arcchancellor

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 am

Do you have checked whether the tv-viewing-area is different than the computers, i. e. the tv-viewing-area is possibly zoomed closer?
Check the tv-settings or the manual, if there is a kind of automatic mode, which sets the picture correctly.

And who delivers the tv-picture? An attached external hard drive, a mediaplayer, a laptop and a softwareplayer like VLC?
This limits the options you have to correct this.

You can also change the format of the subtitles, so that you can force the display height. I guess you usually use .srt-subs.
When you use .ass instead then you can set the height in the header.
But that means, for each film you want to look at the tv, change the subtitles. This is not very comfortable.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

janetb

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm

There is no connection whatsoever between my computer and my TV. None. I simply copy the movie from my hard drive to a USB disk-on-key and then plug the disk-on-key into the USB socket on the TV....:-).... I guess this is basically a question about televisions. Mine is a flat screen LED and has a USB plug, but in today's world it would probably be considered old. It is not a Smart TV.

I have never heard of .ass format. They are not at all common.

arcchancellor

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Is the movie itself also cut off or is it full as at the pc and the problem are only the subs?

janetb

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

The problem is only the subs as far as I can tell. The movie does not appear to be cut off, but I guess if it were I would not know...... But in cases where the subs are already in the movie file (and there is no need for a separate subtitle file), I do see two lines of subs (when they are long enough for two lines).

arcchancellor

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:29 am

But in cases where the subs are already in the movie file (and there is no need for a separate subtitle file), I do see two lines of subs (when they are long enough for two lines).
You don't mean hardcoded subs, do you? Just softcoded subs inside your movie which can be switched on and off?

If these are displayed correctly then mux the separate subtitles in which the lower line is not displayed in the movie
and try if you can see the second line then.

janetb

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Muxing did not help.

arcchancellor

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 am

You have not answered the question yet.
But in cases where the subs are already in the movie file (and there is no need for a separate subtitle file), I do see two lines of subs (when they are long enough for two lines).
Just to clarify: you don't mean hardcoded subs which are invariably integrated in the movie?
Just softcoded subs inside your movie which can be switched on and off?

janetb

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:04 pm

As I wrote in my first post, I refer to subtitles which are in a separate file from the movie file. The subtitles are usually .srt files. The movie files are either avi or some (but not all) mkv files. I put both the movie file and the subtitle file on a disk-on-key and then plug it into the TV.

arcchancellor

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 am

Then your TV displays it wrong.
It seems the only possibility you have is to convert these .srt to .ass and edit the header so they will be displayed higher.

janetb

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi Folks,

The solution was extremely simple: I just changed the Size of the subtitle font from Medium to Small....:-)....

arcchancellor

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 am

Sometimes you lose sight of the forest for the trees. ;-)

Return to “General talk”