Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
crybllrd

Chinese Subtitles (sometimes) not working

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 pm

I always use Chinese traditional subs when watching English movies just to keep my Chinese useful.

I know all about fonts and encoding. I've done it a million times. But now I'm at my wits end.

My subtitle file is Chinese gibberish, like this: и眖竧较秨﹍
Τи皑㎝иね霉城

There's Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese, English, and some other unknown characters present in the file.

The file is legit, as there are over 700,000 downloads and hundreds of comments thanking OP and offering small corrections, etc.

I tried different encoding, changed to different fonts, used Word, notepad and Notepad++, changed encoding and font within the media player, tried multiple players (VLC, MPH-C, WMP), changed my entire system language to Chinese, pasted the gibberish into an online tool that finds correct encoding, etc. Theres probably a few more things I haven't tried.

I also DL'd a few other copies of the SRT from other sites, but they're all the same (It's a rare recording of a '90s musical, so not may options).

I've watched many hundreds of shows and movies on this PC in Chinese, and in fact I just fired up an old show with Chinese subs and it works perfectly.

What else can I try?

Return to “General talk”