Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
manfromearth

Re: Seeking "Man From Earth" subtitlers!

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi!
We're still pretty desperately seeking someone to create the Spanish subs for "Man from Earth: Holocene"! Any takers? Does anybody in the community know of a talented Spanish subtitler who might be interested in joining the project?

Thank you!

-Richard

zzmoc133zz

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:53 am

Hi! I'm a big fan from Reykjavik, Iceland! I saw the original movie back in late 2008 and I was absolutely stunned, it has been my favorite movie of all time ever since. I remember going directly online when it was finished to look for a sequel or just anything about John and couldn't find anything. Luckily ...that's about to change :D

Anyway I showed my mother (and some other people) the original film but like a lot of people here in Iceland they need subtitles to watch movies in English, so I took the liberty of subtitling the whole first film. It came out really good. I was already planning on subtitling Holocene in Iceland when I buy it after it comes out so I can show it to my mother (who is now a huge fan like me and can't wait for part 2). It'd be an absolute honor for me to do this so if you guys want me to work on it I will :)

Just let me know in PM

Thanks!

-Finnur

[EDIT] SimplyTheBOSS. Email removed.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 am

@Finnur / Zzmoc133zz
I just wrote you an email to your protonmail address, but I am not sure if you are still monitoring this.
Please check and let me know...
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:47 pm

@Richard
I have just sent you the final version of Icelandic.
Please confirm you received it.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

manfromearth

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:54 am

Got it, thank you!!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 am

Eight months after the first post of Richard Schenkman, we finally did it. "The Man From Earth: Holocene" is online, by now already on zillions of channels and sites, and including subtitles in several languages.

Thanks to everybody who joined the team to make this possible, doing whatever they did.
And thanks to Richard Schenkman, for coming to us, trusting us and showing the world a new way.

Breaking news on TorrentFreak: https://torrentfreak.com/the-man-from-e ... rs-180116/
Download the movie: https://thepiratebay.org/search/The%20M ... 20Holocene
Subtitles: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... vie-595804
Feel free to translate it into your language :)

Enjoy the movie!

orestes1986

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Hello, I saw the Man from Earth about 10 years ago and loved it. I would love to participate in the international reach of the sequel (which I just saw, and found it equally great).

I am from Greece, so I think I can translate the subtitles to Greek.

Orestes

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello, I saw the Man from Earth about 10 years ago and loved it. I would love to participate in the international reach of the sequel (which I just saw, and found it equally great).

I am from Greece, so I think I can translate the subtitles to Greek.
Geia sou, orestes1986.
Orea, welcome :)

The movie is now freely available, so that's easy. Make sure you use one of the 'official' videos:
The.Man.from.Earth.Holocene.2017.1080p.BluRay.x264-UNiVEARTH
The.Man.from.Earth.Holocene.2017.1080p.BDRip.x264-UNiVEARTH
The.Man.from.Earth.Holocene.2017.720p.BluRay.x264-UNiVEARTH
The.Man.from.Earth.Holocene.2017.BDRip.x264-UNiVEARTH

And we have English subtitles available which you could use as template / source for your translation.

One is 100% verbatim and already pre-synchronised with speech and considering things like camera changes and constant gaps. However, NOT considered are general subtitling guidelines like line length and CPS-ratio. So it is up to the translator to adjust things accordingly using line breaks, splitting, merging and probably (a lot of) compression of the text.
The verbatim source subs are here: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... olocene-en

Another version available is 'compressed' English. This is not the exact text of the script, but the subtitles are already according to subtitling guidelines, so it will be 'easier' to make a translation according to these guidelines. Depending on how experienced you are, you might prefer to use these subs, possibly in combination with the verbatim subs.
The compressed subs are here: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... olocene-en

Anyway I think it's a good idea if someone else checks the subs - linguistically and technically - before you upload them.

Exvaristoume

orestes1986

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Kalimera SmallBrother,

Thank you for your reply, I am not experienced so I'll probably follow both your advices.

Euxaristw poly for your guidance and for both movies :-)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Thank you for your reply, I am not experienced so I'll probably follow both your advices.
I think you are not a registered user on the subtitle site - at least user "orestes1986" does not exist.

If you are not an experienced subtitler, okay, so here some basic but very important remarks:

Keep very well in mind that making subtitles is NOT only about translating. With subtitles you *must* take some technical aspects in consideration, otherwise your subtitle could be bad or even unusable, no matter how good the translation is linguistically.

Very basic rules are (more or less)
- Line length not more than let's say 45 characters.
- Maximum two lines.
- Minimum duration 1,2 seconds
- Maximum duration 6 seconds

Then a very important one, but often 'forgotten':
CPS (Characters Per Second), referring to the amount of time you have to read the subtitled text. Talking goes faster than reading, so often there is not enough time to translate everything literally. Then you have to 'compress' what is said. For example:
- Excuse me, do you maybe know what time it is?
- What time is it?

They both mean the same, but the second is much shorter. The trick is to compress when needed and keeping the essence of the meaning.
If you keep CPS lower than 20, you are on a good track. Higher than 24 should be avoided.

A very easy, but very important one:
Use subtitling software. DO NOT use notepad or so, you are guaranteed to fail.
Subtitle Edit is great (and free), you can easily keep track of line length, durations and CPS.
See http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit

And yeah, if you are not experienced, I think best is to used the compressed English subtitle as source.

Well, that was my how-to-make-subs speed course.

Also, the Greek section on OpenSubtitles is quite active. Maybe you can find other users to team up with. Some are marked as Sub Translator. And if you have specific questions, there is this forum to ask.

orestes1986

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Thank you very much, for the guidance. You are very helpful. I hope I didn't took much of your time with this.

I'll check what you suggested and I'll be in touch if I need anything

zzmoc133zz

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:10 am

SB, it looks like you have another "me" on your hands :) ... as in a new guy. It's okay to be new I had never done this before and it was a little more complex than I initially thought. However with SmallBrother's help we managed to get my Icelandic translation of Holocene to its best of shape and it's now on the official release.

Just give it time and don't be frustrated with it. You may have to make certain lines and sentences a bit shorter but in the end it will all make sense.

-Finn

manfromearth

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Update:

The movie is out and the file is being shared all over the world.

Serbian and Turkish have been created, but there's a huge demand for Portuguese!

The two countries where the film is downloaded more than any other are China and Korea, so we could use those subs as well.

Thank you!

--RS

Lander

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Hello, thanks for invite me for this,
I'm in and I'm waiting for a new reply.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello lander,
I guess you are "fabilander" ( https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/profile/iduser-1146275 )?

Admin Dougsan is also talking with some people. If more join in, maybe you guys/girls can coordinate some teamwork? Maybe for getting both Portugal Portuguese and Brazil Portuguese subs, maybe for translating/checking/sync work?

Return to “General talk”