Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
infrenis

Incomplete Subtitles

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi there, Im Infrenis a subtitler from a faraway land, my cuestion and problem in fact, is the next

I create subtitles for the new movies, because I like to open the door to understanding them to other people wich like me are deaf, but I also know that when I upload a subtilte a lot of pleple download the file and they delete my name in the end of the file and you know, it feels unfair, so I decided to upload only half of the subtitle and why not maybe get a gratification for the other half, this way I can protect my work from this people, when they are not so new subtitles I understand that you have to upload the full subtitle, but when is the newest movie in the planet, and it took you many hours to make the subtitle, is it not fair to get a gratification for it? because the guys who own the opensubtitles webpage also get a gratification when they get the visits to the webpage from thousands of people who want my subtitle, because there are a lot of pop ups windows, and this pop ups gives them money, so my big cuestion is this...

Can I upload the half of the newest movie subtitle?

thank you.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Incomplete Subtitles

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:32 pm

To answer your question: No, I don't think it's a good idea to upload 'half' subtitles. Simply just because it cannot be used to watch the movie. It's similar to uncorrected Google translations, subs with very bad synchronisation, or just subtitles which are not ready yet one way or another. The only purpose it could serve is being 'work in progress', but that doesn't fit here. Maybe in the future there will be a section to upload partial work, meant to continue the work by others or as a team, not meant to actually use. But that's future.

As for credits for your work: I (we) totally understand what you are saying. Making translations (or even worse: making subtitles) is A LOT of work and very often people just don't realize what is involved. Respecting credits is one of the most important rules on opensubtitles.
See what is written here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15787

So I would say: continue your priceless work, complete the subtitles you make as good as you can, and upload them here, including your credits. It is impossible to guarantee your work will never appear somewhere without credits, but we will do anything to protect it. Subs without credits or with false credits will be deleted or corrected when spotted, or they can be reported by any user. Users violating the rules can be warned or banned.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

infrenis

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm

thanks for your answer, Ok I will do that, unfortunately my account was suspended and now I cant upload subtitles.

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 pm

thanks for your answer, Ok I will do that, unfortunately my account was suspended and now I cant upload subtitles.

Just checked and your account is not suspended.
I assume your username is "infrenis"?

infrenis

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Yes my account is infrenis and now everytime I try to upload a subtitle it says x we already have a subtitle with that name, and this happens with all the uploads I try even if the file is has a new name, besides I can not make my subtitles featured anymore, and you know is funny because the subtitle I uploaded in half two days ago was stolen and completed by peggy1 and now it has 160000 downloads, and this was my work! its simply not fair, I spent about 6 hours translating it and now someone else has the credit, simply not fair.

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Yes my account is infrenis and now everytime I try to upload a subtitle it says x we already have a subtitle with that name, and this happens with all the uploads I try even if the file is has a new name, besides I can not make my subtitles featured anymore, and you know is funny because the subtitle I uploaded in half two days ago was stolen and completed by peggy1 and now it has 160000 downloads, and this was my work! its simply not fair, I spent about 6 hours translating it and now someone else has the credit, simply not fair.
You are trying to upload duplicates and that is not allowed.
Please read this carefully:

viewtopic.php?f=1&p=36994#p36994

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:48 pm

If you try to upload and the site says "We already have a subtitle with that name", then you are trying to upload a subtitle which already exists on the site. In that case that error contains a link to that existing subtitle file. Renaming the file doesn't help, a duplicate is a duplicate (the actual contents are compared, not the file name). And as StB wrote, duplicates are not allowed - not for nothing, what is the point and the use?
Let us know what that file is (the exact URL) and we will see. Now it's all a bit too vague...

Also you are saying another user "stole it and completed it".
What means "stolen"? Of course another user can take a subtitle and resync it and upload it. That is not stealing or taking credits, as long as the credits inside the subtitle remain untouched.
And what means "completed it"? That sounds like it was a half job (as you described in your first post) and completing it is actually what you wanted, right? Also there is nothing wrong or disrespectful, as long as original credits inside the subs remain untouched. The one "completing it" can ADD credits, though - fair enough.

But please give an URL etc. so we know what we are talking about.
And describe what happened and what you would like.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Please read this carefully:
viewtopic.php?f=1&p=36994#p36994
Ah.
This COMPLETELY shines another light... :(

infrenis

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Its not a duplicate file, and as you can see this file does not exist in opensubtitles, yes there are subtitles in another languages but not in english, here is the file, https://1fichier.com/?fpeddr5mun everytime I try to upload it I get this error http://imgur.com/a/jOC4W

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Its not a duplicate file, and as you can see this file does not exist in opensubtitles, yes there are subtitles in another languages but not in english, here is the file, https://1fichier.com/?fpeddr5mun everytime I try to upload it I get this error http://imgur.com/a/jOC4W
It is duplicate = it just has been disabled and because of that it can't be uploaded.

Return to “General talk”