Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
marc

Is there a Better Sync Software?

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Having just discovered this site, and thinking that using my Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate would simply insert the SUBS in the right place leaves me a bit frustrated. Yes... the timing of the SUBS is seconds off of the actual matching scene. I've read other posts and was unable to find any answer as to how to resolve this. And Aimersoft does not have (what I can Find) either a SUBS starting Point or a tool to either speed up or slow down the sub/scene alignment.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other software to insert these subs that allow for the correct timing? Or is it simply that I am not inserting the subs correctly...

Thanks!

Funchalense
Site Admin

Re: Is there a Better Sync Software?

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Having just discovered this site, and thinking that using my Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate would simply insert the SUBS in the right place leaves me a bit frustrated. Yes... the timing of the SUBS is seconds off of the actual matching scene. I've read other posts and was unable to find any answer as to how to resolve this. And Aimersoft does not have (what I can Find) either a SUBS starting Point or a tool to either speed up or slow down the sub/scene alignment.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other software to insert these subs that allow for the correct timing? Or is it simply that I am not inserting the subs correctly...

Thanks!
Subtitle Workshop or Subtitle edit.

See this : https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... 2881#p9206

Mr.Hood

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:22 pm

Well subtitle edit has one option, you can set your start point and than it will change that to the whole subtitle. So that might be an option for you.
I have been using that, but you have to be careful and check it manually after changing it.

marc

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:32 pm

I began using "SubShifter" and found it cumbersome to use as first I need to import the file...try to time the delay +/- encountered, then import back to Aimersoft to test its correction..... Hoping there is something more elegant than just me trying to time the delay manually....

arcchancellor

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:24 am

Hoping there is something more elegant than just me trying to time the delay manually....
No. Not until now.
If you want to have exactly matching subs and there is no one, you need to manually adjust it yourself.
If you have done that and they fit well , you can upload the costumized version on Opensubstitles.org to share it with others.
That's the purpose of the page.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

Steggy

Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 am

use VLC Player to play videos Then all you have to do is press the F or G keys to speed up or slow down the subtitles to sync them to your video

marc

Sun May 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks for the VLC suggestion and I do know about the many features such as speed for subs... However using VLC is not a practical tool as I have all my movies on a Synology 6 Tb Network device which streams via Ethernet to a Sony BluRay player in a distant Media room.... And Thankfully after taking many years of finding the right combination of format to allow for proper remote use without hiccups!

arcchancellor

Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 am

use VLC Player to play videos Then all you have to do is press the F or G keys to speed up or slow down the subtitles to sync them to your video
If this is your advice, what do you do, when the subs are sync at the start but drift away with the runtime?
Or when the movie is cut, but the subs not or vice versa?
That's unprofessional, like drive in a screw with a hammer. It works sometimes, but it's rubbish.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue May 03, 2016 4:15 pm

This is the perfect world:
You have a subtitle file with perfect synchronisation for video file A. To sync for video file B you may need to set timings let's say a second earlier or later all through the movie (easily done with many players and subtitling software), or you may need to 'stretch' or 'squeeze' the timings (a bit more effort, but also quite easy).

This is the reality:
The majority of subs are not well synchronised. One line is 500ms too early, the next one is 300ms too late, etc. If the source is like this, no software can sync the subs for video file B in one or two mouse clicks. Then only manual adjustments using subtitling software can do the job, possibly line by line.

Maybe, while you are asking for better software, you are actually asking for better subs ;-)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

vankasteelj

Tue May 03, 2016 4:53 pm

I often resync subs, using Gaupol (does the job) or SubtitleEdit (way better but no linux version). I don't find it too much of a hurdle, it's usually 2 to 3min per subtitle file, they're often "good enough" in the first place. I do resync while I'm watching though, otherwise it takes forever as you have to watch twice the entire movie

oss
Site Admin

Wed May 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Actually there are already some smart software which can sync subtitles according dialogs in movies

MarcoTC
Subtitles Admin

Fri May 06, 2016 9:24 am

This is the reality:
The majority of subs are not well synchronised. One line is 500ms too early, the next one is 300ms too late, etc. If the source is like this, no software can sync the subs for video file B in one or two mouse clicks. Then only manual adjustments using subtitling software can do the job, possibly line by line.
Honestly, I don't see it that way. In my experience, the majority of the Subs are synced fine. If not, they are shifted (constantly x seconds too early or too late).
With movies, I see some FPS differences every now and then. So the Subs are synced fine but the framerate needs to be changed.

Of course, there are different (for example) Episode Videos that have cuts (commercials cut out etc.). But if you pick the right Subs that mention the same release as the Video, I'm ok 95% of the times.

With that said, we're currently finalizing FlixTools Pro. This has a build in *automatic* shift function up to the millisecond. So if the Subs are ok but shifted x seconds, FlixTools will handle this for you in 3 mouse clicks (Analyze -> Sync -> Save)
Currently for OS X only (Windows/Linux versions coming) if anyone is interested to play with a Beta, feel free to send me a PM.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri May 06, 2016 12:57 pm

You are right, "The majority of subs are not well synchronised" is a bit too exaggerated.
Still my point is that if the source is bad, resynching is a tough job.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”