Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

New design on forum

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:07 am

Hi,

proudly presenting new design on forum.opensubtitles.org - I hope you like it. Of course it will take a bit time to make it feel as "home" again. If you will find some bugs, let us know here.

Enjoy.

hector

Re: New design on forum

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:03 pm

In my system (Linux - old Firefox) is all broken.
And I still can't use smileys :-/

vankasteelj

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:19 pm

In my system (Linux - up to date Firefox) is all working :D

It's a nice layout @oss, we're no longer in 2006 :D

oss
Site Admin

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:46 pm

glad it is working on up to date systems and glad you are liking it (same as your mobile devices)

hector

Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Well, I guess I must update my browser.

This is just my opinion and I'm aware it is not very common. Mobile devices are an environmental threat and problem. They use dangerous batteries and rare metals and are an important source of technological waste. Their life length is usually 2 - 3 years (sometimes even shorter) because they often crash or catch water.

I'm totally against them. Besides, technology should serve humanity, not the other way around.

Now I have one more reason to hate them.

hector

Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:31 pm

It takes 16 seconds to load on my computer. About the same time it takes to change the font size.
Perhaps it is a great improvement for many people. For me it is almost unusable. I can upgrade my browser but won't change my computer just to use this forum.

But I don't think the main problem is its design or the technology used to implement it. It's become irresponsive but not just updating the screen, also at a higher level:
https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... =5&t=15286

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue May 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Mobile devices are an environmental threat and problem.
Mobile devices are a political, spiritual and communicative threat and problem as well.

But on my desktop comp the layout is bearable and loading time is fine.
My screen is 27 inch.
My processor is a Q9550, which was a great choice, 7 years ago.
I must admit that I recently (2 years ago) upgraded to an SSD disk, but this wouldnt speed up the forum loading time.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Thu May 05, 2016 4:59 pm

We were missing you, Smallbrother :-)
My computer doubles that number, it is 15 years old. It still fulfills my needs except for some webpages :-/
I upgraded my browser. The problem is that new versions add a lot of features that I don't need or want which makes it more resource hungry.
In my opinion javascript is a good thing but sometimes it is used unnecessarily and makes everything a lot slower.

I'll have to live with it.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu May 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Who is "we"?
:)

The never ending unfortunate story is web designers going wild on all kind of fancy features, comp is too slow, you buy a new comp, then web designers think "nice, now we can add more fancy stuff". Etc. Same with bandwidth, loading times, etc. If I make web sites, I spend time on for example reducing image file size by reducing colours, finding optimal compression etc. I am ten times slower than others, but my pages laod with the speed of light, even on netscape 3 on a 15 year old comp ;-) But i am the only one. Yes, live with it.

Updating/grading browsers is a bit different story. I would recommend that for reasons of security.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

scooby007
Site Admin

Sun May 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Who is "we"?
:)
Maybe me and STB... :? But STB will take that secret to his grave and deny all.
Hi, If you will find some bugs, let us know here.
On a serious note, boss, I don't get any topic notification emails since the upgrade. From the Moderator and user control panel settings, all is fine and to receive notifications/emails are selected. Looked in the ACP, too, but no solution seems to be apparent in there. Those settings (in the ACP) for all users seems to be fine. Please fix. knowing my luck, I'm the only one with the problem.

vankasteelj

Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Main forum page is broken on firefox (latest), probably other browsers too, when using half a fhd screen (roughly 960x1020 px), this is new from today or yesterday

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 pm

On a serious note, boss, I don't get any topic notification emails since the upgrade. From the Moderator and user control panel settings, all is fine and to receive notifications/emails are selected. Looked in the ACP, too, but no solution seems to be apparent in there. Those settings (in the ACP) for all users seems to be fine. Please fix. knowing my luck, I'm the only one with the problem.
Have you noticed https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... 26&t=15645
Any difference?
Main forum page is broken on firefox (latest), probably other browsers too, when using half a fhd screen (roughly 960x1020 px), this is new from today or yesterday
For me, things seem to be okay...
(Win7 SP1, FF 46.0.1)
What means "broken"?

oss
Site Admin

Wed May 11, 2016 7:20 am

guys, when you say broken (specially design), it is good to send some screenshot. We added right navigation bar, but it is not working good yet. We also upgraded theme - so yes, we change the things.

For mails - hm! thats strange.

vankasteelj

Wed May 11, 2016 2:38 pm

there's the uncompressible 'post' in blue on the right, taking about 40% of the screen. The columns aren't really well used either, the biggest should be the description, here it's the icon.

It makes everything look vertical (and broken)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed May 11, 2016 3:38 pm

With a screen width of approx. 1400px or larger - no problem.
But with anything smaller, that one column gets smaller.

The designer assumed things which shouldn't be assumed.

The problem lays in the definition of the columns: all columns have a fixed width, EXCEPT the 'description' column (for example "General talk - Talk here about new subtitles, movies, site improvements and everything regarding subtitles in ENGLISH language"). So with resizing or screens with a width smaller than 1400px, that column gets smaller (or in this case: too small), the other columns stay the same.

Return to “General talk”