Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
kuroro

I and L interchanged

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:35 am

Sorry if this has been asked a lot of times already. I noticed that quite a few subtitles have the I interpreted as L and vice versa. I'm assuming this is because the subtitles were generated using some sort of OCR on the video frames and the machine incorrectly interpreted the characters. How do you guys deal with this? Are there tags that help me know which subtitles are non-auto generated?

Thanks!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: I and L interchanged

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:35 am

Yes, the capital i versus lowercase L is a typical OCR error.
No, there is no tag for that, but the user might have added something like "OCR rip from DVD" as additional info.
Besides, a tag wouldn't help so much, beacuse one OCR subtitle can be perfect, the other may be full of such errors. Often you can estimate the risk of such errors by the fact who did the rip.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

SteverB

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:01 pm

You might also try a Windows program called "Subtitle Edit". It catches loads of common OCR errors like this. http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/

arcchancellor

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 am

And if you do OCR for subtitles yourself you can use a program called SubExtractor.
It's avoiding these error when you trained it right. ;-)
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

hector

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:46 am

SubExtractor... from what I could read about it, I would say it doesn't handle CSS encryption. How do you remove CSS?

arcchancellor

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:52 am

As far as I know does that none of the subtitle-editors.
Therefore, step 1 is the transfer of the movie to your hard drive, for instance with MakeMKV,
step 2 the demuxing of the sub-track with mkvextract, step 3 the OCR with SubExtractor.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

Return to “General talk”