Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
77steve

Questions about fixing FPS

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:24 pm

What I am trying to do is add Spanish subs to some of my movies/TV shows that do not have them. My sources are Blu ray Rip or iTunes files. I am having a hard time syncing the files most of the ones in Spanish are 25fps and I am in the US. I can find some that are 23.97 but they are still out of sync. I fixed some with very little success using SubtitleWorkshop. How can I tell the fps on the files that are not labeled from the site. I know that SubtitleWorkshop shows the FPS but it seems like it always says the FPS of the last loaded file even when I know it is not that particular FPS. I could really use some input on this.

hector

Re: Questions about fixing FPS

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:33 pm

What kind of Spanish movies do you watch?

What I do with a film if I don't know its FPS is looking some film database like IMDB. There you can find the
duration of most of the films. If you change the FPS from 24 to 25 FPS, in practice it means you shorten the
film by 1 second every 24 seconds.

A 90 minute film would last 5,184 seconds or 86 minutes and 24 seconds. If your film duration is about 4 minutes less than that reported by the database you can say it has speed-up.

How to fix it? I use Gaupol but I think every decent program must have this functionality. I do it so:
  • I write down the timing of the first and last subtitles in the actual film. You can get it looking at the elapsed time in the player.
  • With Gaupol you can "shift positions" or "transform positions". The former is for adding a fixed time and the later for fixing this. In the dialog box I set both timings (first and last subtitle) and that's it.
Sometimes it may happen that you have some desynchronisation in the middle. Then I repeat the second step adding or subtracting some amount to the last subtitle.

arcchancellor

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:11 pm

@ Hector

As Linux-User why don't you use Subtitle Editor?

http://home.gna.org/subtitleeditor/

Working with a waveform makes things much easier. Then you can hear and "see" the diaogue and you can move the start and endtime of every item very easy per klick and slide. Here is a pic from my current translation work to show you how it is to handle.

If you work under Windows I recommend SubtitleEdit:

http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit

The same great advantage of the program is its waveform, a fast way to sync and adjust the timings.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

hector

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Curiously enough, I have it installed. But I've never used it. I could give it a try.

To synchronise I use my ears instead of my eyes. They are a little bit better.

arcchancellor

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:50 pm

As you like it, but give it a try.
It's going faster and easier with a waveform and if you're used to it, you no longer want to miss it.

77steve

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:38 pm

The timing in the film doesn't need to be changed I need to change the subtitles to match the film and try and sync them because they are off.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:30 pm

You can also just forget about FPS.
Provided your version has the same content as the version the source subtitle is made for (no added or cut parts), all you need is finding the correct timing for the first line and the last line. Subtitle software uses these two points to re-adjust all the other timings. Sometimes it's even enough to just add or distract a certain amount of fixed time from the existing timings.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Yes, of course. But you need to know the timing that matches your film. In order to get that you must watch the film and write down the time when the phrase is said. I'll try to explain it graphically:

Code: Select all

t: subtitle file timings; T:actual film timings T1 t1 T2 T3 t2 t3 subtitles: --------------------s------------------------------s----------s film: ----------u---------------u-----u
In this example you have a film at double speed. You'd have to adjust t1 and t3. You have to know T1 and T3 (first and last utterances in the film). If you set t1 to T1 and t3 to T3, t2 will be set accordingly. You could say you are "squeezing" or "shrinking" the subtitles.

hector

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:15 pm

As Linux-User why don't you use Subtitle Editor?
I'll tell you: I couldn't get it to work.

In order to save resources, I try to keep in my system only what I REALLY need, so my system is all but standard. I had to install gstreamer and some plugins. But yet I get an error message:
subtitleeditor: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

So I think the X server is lacking something but it doesn't say what it is.

arcchancellor

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:41 am

Have you compiled the Subtitle Editor yourself or used a repo?
Is your system debian-based or what distri you use?

hector

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 am

It's the binary package that came with my distro: Debian 6.0.5. Version 0.30.0

arcchancellor

Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 am

Debian 6.0.5 Then maybe you should try this:

https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/subtitleeditor

You'll see other packages related to subtitleeditor and on the bottom of this site you'll find .deb downloads for many architectures.

Mikssa

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

After reading the whole post, the more as I know is about iTunes movies, how to remove DRM from iTunes movies. As we know all iTunes movies are encrypted with DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. If you want to play these videos on non-Apple devices, you may have to get rip of DRM protection at first. Fortunately, there are so many DRM media converter on the Internet are designed to remove DRM protection and convert iTunes videos from M4V to MP4 with all audio tracks, subtitles, including AC3, 5.1 dolby surround audio, cc, etc. Wish this point is helpful to you. Good luck.

Return to “General talk”