Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
tsantilas

How do I unmark a subtitle marked as bad?

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi guys, I think I made a mistake and I'm finding a hard time in correcting it. I marked a subtitle as bad for the fact that the person who uploaded it, removed the credits of its original translator, while the best thing I should have done would have been report the user who did it. I've been trying to unmark the subtitles since this morning but I cannot find the way to do it. The subtitles in question are the greek ones of the film "Desk set (1957)" uploaded by anastae. The subtitles are not really bad, but the credits of their original translator and uploader Anavisos, are removed. If a moderator could help me unmark them I would be very much oblidged. Thanks in advance!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: How do I unmark a subtitle marked as bad?

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:36 pm

First of all, for these kind of things you can use the Report form (the link "Αναφορά λανθασμένης ταινίας"). See also this forum topic how to use this.

Yes, you are right, marking the subs as bad is not really the way, because the subs are not necessarily bad.

Only admins can reset the "bad" mark. But this is what I have done:
I have disabled the subs and explained the uploader "anastae" why. I also notified the initial uploader and translator "Anavisos". All in English, because my Greek is more or less limited to "kalimera" and "pane na fame".

Credits should always remain untouched, but please keep in mind that missing credits is not necessarily done with bad intentions. Maybe give anastae the chance to re-upload the resync, this time including the credits.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

tsantilas

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks a lot my friend for your immediate response. I know that the intentions of the user who uploaded them weren't necessarily bad. But as a translator myself and knowing how hard it is to make them, I cannot help myself but sympathise with my fellow translators. It has happened to me more than once before I joined opensubtitles, that some of my work was stolen from other subtitle sites and uploaded with the credits removed. And translating subs is far more difficult than synchronizing them. The problem becomes even greater because of the fact unregistered members have the right to upload subs, and when they remove their credits they can easily get away with it. But that's the way things are in the net and I'm fully aware of it. From now on I will be reporting cases such as this one! Thanks a lot again!

PS. It's Πάμε να φάμε (Pame na fame)... let's get us something to eat!!!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:35 am

Thanks a lot my friend for your immediate response. I know that the intentions of the user who uploaded them weren't necessarily bad. But as a translator myself and knowing how hard it is to make them, I cannot help myself but sympathise with my fellow translators. It has happened to me more than once before I joined opensubtitles, that some of my work was stolen from other subtitle sites and uploaded with the credits removed. And translating subs is far more difficult than synchronizing them. The problem becomes even greater because of the fact unregistered members have the right to upload subs, and when they remove their credits they can easily get away with it. But that's the way things are in the net and I'm fully aware of it. From now on I will be reporting cases such as this one! Thanks a lot again!
I think most will understand what you mean, more those who ever made a subtitle and know the time and effort it involves. But as said (but don't remember anymore if in PM, profile or subtitle comment), respecting credits is a serious policy on opensubtitles - it is the only reward translators/subtitlers get for their hard and long voluntary work and sharing it with the rest of the world. A resync can only be done after a translation is made... Missing credits is sad and unfortunate, but 'can happen'. False credits however is lower than the center of the earth. Don't hesitate to report it.
PS. It's Πάμε να φάμε (Pame na fame)... let's get us something to eat!!!
See? Even with my own character set I mess it up.
Would I get away with saying it was just a typo?

Kalinixgeia :wink:
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

kerremelk

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi Smallbrother,
In some of the DVDees I ripped I see empty lines at the top or bottom.
The OCR shows me coloured window where the txt should be, and I often wondered if this was a bug in the software, or a deliberate act by the DVD compiler so as to hide some information.
But, if I cannot figure out who the translator was, I mark my srt with translator unknown (if it gets to be uploaded.)

If I do not intend to upload it, I don't care wether any credits are in it.
(I won't mark them as ripped by myself either, since they are then for personal use.)
Sharper txt on screen is my goal.
If, however, the txt needs a lot of retranslation/corrections, then I will leave existing credits in the file, and explain what was done in one or two additional lines at the bottom, usually several seconds later.

When I resynch a file for personal use, I see no need to upload 'just another resynch' if there were no other improvements made to the txt.
Of course, that is what I do now.
My very first upload, over a year ago, it got me in contact with you because my source file had no credits, and what I had done to it did not exist at all.
(In Cat balou, the songs are really part of how the movie works, so I translated the songs.. I used english txt I saw in a Hearing Impaired, and translated that, then sung the translation along with the movie as it was playing so as to feel wether the cadence/rhythm/rhyme worked. After a few tries, it worked well enough, and I uploaded that as my first registered upload.)

Anyhow, if one did not know to whom the translation credits originally belondged to, what could one do?
One should also realise that noobie users do not know what is behind all the "buttons" on the site.
Heck, I haven't even begun to really try figure out what most do.
I even made the same mistake as the OP. (commenting on, or marking a sub as bad when it was for a different language than what the site told me it was for...)
To the OP I could say that placing a comment is safer than marking it as bad.
Either way, an admin will have to look at it, and that means work for the admin, but it gets done.

The OpenSubuploader app did not agree with my computer security settings, and I would be daft to lower the settings, so I never looked back at that app.
Oh well.
There are a few niggles in contacenation of IMDB DB and uploads.
That is because IMDB is not perfect either, I guess.
'nuff said?

Maybe not.
I like the site, and what it offers.
Kind regards, Jaak

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:49 pm

In some of the DVDees I ripped I see empty lines at the top or bottom.
The OCR shows me coloured window where the txt should be, and I often wondered if this was a bug in the software, or a deliberate act by the DVD compiler so as to hide some information.
But, if I cannot figure out who the translator was, I mark my srt with translator unknown (if it gets to be uploaded.)
I see this too sometimes, and I don't know what it is. I would say that any subtitle text visible during playback would be present in the rip as well. If not, well, then there's 'nothing' you can do.
If, however, the txt needs a lot of retranslation/corrections, then I will leave existing credits in the file, and explain what was done in one or two additional lines at the bottom, usually several seconds later.
That's perfect. You may always add credits for your own work. A small description of what you did, is better than what some people do with a vague "Edited by: blabla". If you want and if it makes sense, you can describe the applied changes a bit more extensive in the field "additional info".
When I resynch a file for personal use, I see no need to upload 'just another resynch' if there were no other improvements made to the txt.
Why not? Some people don't know how to resynch and would be happy with subs that fit their video file.
My very first upload, over a year ago, it got me in contact with you because my source file had no credits (...) Anyhow, if one did not know to whom the translation credits originally belondged to, what could one do?
Don't worry, that was one year ago, one time only, brand new user, and I already suspected something like this (not present in the source), which I also wrote to you. I found the credits by comparing your upload with other subs already present on OpenSubtitles.org.
The idea is that credits should not be REMOVED (i.e. actively erased), but you didn't do that - so all good.
One should also realise that noobie users do not know what is behind all the "buttons" on the site.
Heck, I haven't even begun to really try figure out what most do.
I even made the same mistake as the OP. (commenting on, or marking a sub as bad when it was for a different language than what the site told me it was for...)
To the OP I could say that placing a comment is safer than marking it as bad.
Either way, an admin will have to look at it, and that means work for the admin, but it gets done.
Sure, I can imagine a new user feeling like an alien, and no sane person would blame an alien for not knowing the way. For any comments about a subtitle (wrong language, missing credits, bad translation, whatever) I understand the comment-way is the most obvious or intuitive. The 'report form method' is preferred (easiest for admins, and doesn't get out of sight like comments do), but it is a bit hidden and cryptic - "Correct subtitles" sounds like correcting the subs, right...? Maybe we should change this.
For the time being, to report wrong data of subs, all aliens are invited to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2595
:)

kerremelk

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:21 pm

I usually resync for a dvd that had no dutch
(sometimes it claimed to have dutch but the idx/sub was totally useless.. and when played on TV from DVD, it was still useless.)
So I get a srt here, and sync it to the rip I made for me, and play that with sharp txt on screen.
That rip I make does not exist as a release on the wonderful wide web so my sync does not apply to any, and the SRT existed before.....

But, I do not hesitate to help you to an srt for a movie I could not find here, or one that truly needed some major work done to it.
In that same vein, quite a few of the dvd rips I uploaded because I thought there was no better, or none, could be marked as bad because they do not fit to "known releases"

In yet another vein, many of the JAG uploads I did were resynchs to movie files I had recovered from discarded computer hard drives.
Yes, I am not holier than the pope. I don't admit to not have never swore to any recycling law.
I resynched what I found to fit those movies I had found (and the names those movies had told me the release name), and saw that those versions were not here. So there.

What it boils down to is that one can but verify with what one actually has, and filenames are just that.
Names.

You may not know this, but the name you rip a dvd to stays embedded in the file, even after you changed its filename.
That's true for MP4 I make of dvdees I (some other hidden info also lingers on after name change and copy to my laptop..)
Since I do not upload any rips made from my dvds, I don't worry about it, but i know there's more info in that file than noobies would realise.

so, it works both ways.
If my dvd have no elligble sub..
and if it had, and there is nothing here..

and if what I upload is to the wrong language or IMDB.. i'd like to be told.
Glitches happen, IMDB sometimes changes catalog number of a movie (DB contacenation between sites is always an iffy affair.)
and a file i thought I uploaded to English was in Dutch section, and I discovered that only months later (nobody reported it as wrong language, I wish they had done so)
And that's the crux.
Every now and then one has to trace back, and look if everything was right.
Checks and balances, peer to peer, not be afraid to comment/point out glaring monstrosities and useless failed deadline beaters hackjobs.

Wow, there go some deep thoughts in one sentence.
It hangs together, nonetheless. People that start finding the buttons are useful after all.

hywel

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 am

Hi everyone, sometime ago I uploaded subtitles for a movie and put a wrong IMDB code, now I have corrected my mistake and would like to unmark it as bad: can anyone help me?
Also, I would like to know wheter among my uploads are listed other subtitles marked as bad in order to try and correct them, is there a way I can see that?
Thanks for your time and help!

Funchalense
Site Admin

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi everyone, sometime ago I uploaded subtitles for a movie and put a wrong IMDB code, now I have corrected my mistake and would like to unmark it as bad: can anyone help me?
Smallbrother has already explained what to do in the second post :
First of all, for these kind of things you can use the Report form. See also this forum topic how to use this.
Only admins can reset the "bad" mark.

Also, I would like to know wheter among my uploads are listed other subtitles marked as bad in order to try and correct them, is there a way I can see that?
Thanks for your time and help!

To see if any of the subtitles uploaded by you are marked as bad :
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/iduser ... /subbad-on

Anyway, I've seen and none of your subtitles are marked as bad

hywel

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:58 pm

To see if any of the subtitles uploaded by you are marked as bad :
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/iduser ... /subbad-on

Anyway, I've seen and none of your subtitles are marked as bad
Thank you SO much! Have a nice day

Return to “General talk”