Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Subtitles with bad timings

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 am

For the exact difference 23,976 vs 25 fps, my wild guess is some mistake during the process of ripping or converting.
And yeah, it would be better if no mistakes were made anymore, but... welcome to life ;-)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:21 am

Here is an excellent explanation on this subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

arcchancellor

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:49 am

That's no newsflash, hector.
If it only were always so simple.

Take a look on this: http://home.arcor.de/scharfis_brain/Exo ... terlacing/

Sorry, but this side exists - as far as I know - only in german.
The point is: Telecine is only one possibility.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

hector

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Yes, but it took me a lot of reading and thinking to understand why many of the subtitles just drifted by 4 or 5 minutes relative to video.
And how could it be that all of a sudden the run time length of a film was 5 minutes less than that reported by IMDB or any other means.

For me it was kind of a shock to realise that I was watching a "speedup" version of a film. If it wasn't for the subtitles I would have never realised that.

Return to “General talk”