Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Re: CAPTCHA on website

Fri May 12, 2017 3:12 pm

RedBack815, so you suggest to force all people to register and login before downloading something ?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun May 14, 2017 11:23 am

I think that's what Redback815 is suggesting.
It would be some solution, but not very user-friendly, chasing users away.

But his overall point is very valid.

More and more people will start using VPNs. And for very good reasons, given all government surveillance, commercial tracking, tracing and manipulations(!) etc. etc. The recent Dutch court's decision about subtitles just added another reason to that long list.

Reality is that more and more genuine users will be effected by the opensubtitles.org IP-related security measures. Many users will not know what's going on exactly, not bother to post a forum message (you need to register first, see the irony...?), they just move on to something else. And even if they don't, the problem might be recurring. Because clean IP's could (will!) get dirty. And/or (like myself) people will choose for a VPN with shared IP's (blending in with the crowd). Or just using a dynamic IP.

So, more and more users will be affected by IP-related security, while it will have less and less effect. And this will become more and more the case over time. I think it's a good idea to think about other ways, rather than IP-related solutions.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

CheckiT
Subtitles Admin

Sun May 14, 2017 1:29 pm

SmallBrother has a point.. many many people use a VPN, so this problem and also the problem with downloading using a vpn on a banned adres will get more and more...

oss
Site Admin

Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 am

ok, what is your idea?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon May 15, 2017 9:31 am

Ha. That's not so easy.

In general:
1. Protect opensubtitles.org against "dozens idiots out there who want to copy all the subtitles and masking their activity behind VPN, PROXY, TOR etc." and other abuse,
while at the same:
2. Make/keep things bearable and practical for genuine (VPN, maybe also proxy and tor-browser) users and workable for admins.

Specifically:
- Maybe you remember that one idea we talked about by PM a while ago? It just covers one little aspect, but it helps.
- While BLACKlisting could stay by IP, maybe the WHITElisting overruling that ban not (only) by IP, but (also) by username and/or some unique GET variable. Basically anything NOT IP-related.

I think the ideas Redback815 is proposing are not practical, at least not exactly how he writes it, but some ideas could do something. For example time/number limitations for anonymous users and (different ones) for registered users.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hawkeyye

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:27 pm

I've been downloading subtitles but suddenly got asked for Captcha. Did the verification, but only got thrown back to it when I tried to dl the subtitle again.
Registered on the site, but same issue. I do captcha verification, seems ok but when I click to dl it just sends me back to captcha again.

Any suggestions?

Redback815

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:18 am

For those who nullify part of or there whole of, about that statement pertaining to abuse on Opensubtitles service was receiving, at least with my statement I was able to throw out an idea in the wild and see where it lands, it got people talking which is good. People complained about having to login is so funny, given that you people, when doing your pecuniary matters, business, emailing or vpn & etc have no complaint's against companies that both secure themselves and service's. These companies mandate you comply with their security measure's that they place on you without thinking twice about how inconvenienced you are. But the user feel safe knowing their business is both private and secured. Question: what's is best, inconvenience by blocked IP's or convenience through secure login ?
What your Answer !
Cheers

ybop

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:32 am

I haven't read every post in this thread but maybe someone can help me. I'm trying to download a subtitle but every time it takes me to the capture. I click the capture and then it takes me back to the page, I try to download, back to capture, rinse and repeat. What exactly is the point of the capture? Makes no difference if I click on it or not, either way I can't download.

mrapina

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 pm

get rid of the fucking captcha i cant download shit everytime i try to download subtitles pack it forwards me to captcha and when i complete the captcha it reloads the page and asks for new captcha fuck this bullshit not working on chrome, firefox or edge. get rid of that shit

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm

get rid of the fucking captcha i cant download shit everytime i try to download subtitles pack it forwards me to captcha and when i complete the captcha it reloads the page and asks for new captcha fuck this bullshit not working on chrome, firefox or edge. get rid of that shit

Looks like you've downloaded dozens of subtitles today, so what's the problem?

mrapina

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:29 pm

I got it to work 1 time then the problem started then i changed to edge got 1 pack downloaded and same problem started again and now i cant download shit

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:11 am

I got it to work 1 time then the problem started then i changed to edge got 1 pack downloaded and same problem started again and now i cant download shit

One time? As I said. you've downloaded dozens of subtitles today?
There is some basic rules but they shouldn't affect in your case.
I will send you a private message.

hsvtarget

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:22 am

Just pinging in that I am logged in as VIP and am getting a CAPTCHA test that doesn't work with my browser (chrome). Further, when I click on "Supported Browsers", I get a similar dysfunction: opensubtitles.org header and footer, but the information I need is missing, the whole middle of the page stays blank.

I'm certain this captcha test is taking place because I'm using a VPN; I completely understand the reasoning behind your IP-based extra precautions. I will shortly begin the process of shutting down the reason for the VPN, disabling it, re-browsing, downloading, re-enabling, and then resuming, which should allow me to download via web, so I doubt I need any specific assistance with downloads today. (My usual download method is by user/pw-secured API access from a non-VPN'd headless media server, if you notice that there have been successful downloads)

It is just curious that I regularly pass captcha tests using this browser, why not yours? Simple curiosity.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:22 pm

try different browser or disable all addons, or try it in incognito mode, it helps too. Some addons just blocking CAPTCHA from loading (or actually they request URL which doesnt exists). Try...

deuwie

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi, i've read that many have this problem.
Now i do to: CAPTCHA robot test, with nothing else. Nothing to fill in.
What now....anyone ? Is it when you download many subs (i downloaded season 2 3 and 4 of The west wing) ?
Isn't it suppos to ask me to type in some letters/numbers then?

Help please,,,thanks !

Return to “General talk”