Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
O-mer

Subtitle Workshop: Backwarding the text. How?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the software "Subtitle Workshop".

I want to know how can I backward the subtitles??

I will explain better with an example:

Let's say there is a line in the subtitles that goes like this:
(NOTE: Do not refer to the quotation marks)

"How are you?" <-- This is the line BEFORE the edit

NOW, I want the line to look like this:

"?How are you" <-- This is the line AFTER the edit

If someone knows how to do this action of backwarding the subtitles with or even without the software "Subtitle Workshop", I don't care, write it down too.

Thanks a million...

jcdr

Re: Subtitle Workshop: Backwarding the text. How?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:57 am

You would have to use a text editor supporting regex (regular expressions), eg Notepad++.
Regexs are very powerful, but if you're not familiar with them, this will look like gibberish to you...
See eg http://www.regular-expressions.info/

With regex selected, replace: \n(.+)\? with: \n\?$1

Note: Subtitle Workshop is obsolete. Better work with Subtitle Edit, it has (limited) support of regex, and most important, it supports UTF-8.

O-mer

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Thank you very much for your response!!

I will look on to this :)

If I will have more questions regarding this post and topic of regex etc. I will post them here...

O-mer

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Oh, yeah, I have a question.

How does the regex suppose to help me solve the reversed marks like ? ! And so on...

Maybe I didn't study it that much to understand.
To tell you the truth, I did understand, but not everything.

What I want is if you can explain to me how I can solve my issue with this regex method.

Thank you

jcdr

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 am

Only way is for you to do your homework, my friend. Peruse the site http://www.regular-expressions.info/, try and play on Notepad++ or Subtitle Edit etc.

In this particular case:
\n(.+)\? search all character chains starting with a Line Feed \n, ending with a question mark \?, with any char chain in between .+, capturing brackets ()
\n\?$1 replace with chain starting with a Line Feed \n, followed by a question mark \?, followed by the chain in the first capturing brackets $1
So "LF any character chain ?" will be replaced by "LF? any character chain "

O-mer

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks again for your help...

Got homework to do now :)

I think it will take me a while to study and understand because it takes time and I am in an era with not much time at home to study... But I will study in parts...

Your help and reference (Especially in your latest post) to my questions is much appreciated so big thanks for everything and again , if I will have more questions I will ask here...

Return to “General talk”