Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Garrick31

Software for Hardcoding Subtitles

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi All,

Complete newbie here with a very basic question:

Which is the best (preferably free) programme I should download in order to add subtitles files to an avi/mkv file and hard code them to this file so that I can play it not only on a PC but on the TV via a media player.

I'm certain this has been covered many time, so apologies for the duplication but am pulling my hair out, trying to achieve this.

Many thanks!

G.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Software for Hardcoding Subtitles

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:22 pm

I don't know about software which 'just' adds the subtitles, but
Handbrake can rip a DVD (or convert a video file) to an .mkv or m4v file (not .avi) and embed the subtitles in the container, optional or hardcoded.
FormatFactory can do similar stuff, with .avi files.

Handbrake is my favorite, for creating files of excellent quality on low file size. Leaving all the default settings as is, except for changing the value from 20 to 24 or 25 (TAB Video > Constant Quality) will easily get you pretty great results.

Mind you, that it's a different story to have the resulting file compatible with home DVD players, it still gives me major headaches. For this, I would say experimenting is the key. Depending on the DVD player you might wanna go for an .avi file and using Format Factory.

Also, you can think about making a 'real' DVD, using for example the (non-free) ConvertXtoDVD (don't forget to check the option "maximize bitrate"). Quality is so-so, but the result is a very compatible DVD.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:16 pm

AutoGK is one option to do it.

You may want to read more: VideoHelp and doom9

arcchancellor

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 am

I prefer Avidemux for this and other jobs.
Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidemux

Btw - when you convert the downloaded .srt in an .ass then you can simple edit it's header so you can configure the font, fontsize, fontcolor, hight and other variables.
For this conversion I prefer Aegisub, cause it produces the most detailed header. Just open the .srt in Aegisub and export it as .ass. That's all.

In summary 2 simple steps:
1. convert the .srt to .ass and then edit the header
2. convert in Avidemux the avi or mkv together with the ass in a single avi with hardcoded subs

I prefer yellow subtitles with a black outline, because they can be read most easily on every background.
You can see the difference.

a dvd with vobsubs:

the same movie from a bluray as source converted to avi with subtitles as ass:

or maybe with a bigger fontsize, if you wish:

(I had to shrink the pictures 2 and 3 because the forum software otherwise cut off the right part of the images.)
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

arcchancellor

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 am

To explain my last statement with the .ass here is a more detailed description.

When you open the .ass with an usual text editor, you can:

- change the values ​​of PlayResX and Play ResY to the AR of the video
- adjust the font: font name
- adjust the font size: FontSize
- adjust the font color: Primary Colour
- adjust the vertical alignment: MarginV

in short: each value of the header, whatever you wish.

The whole thing will look something like the follow. I dyed the appropriate names and values ​​for better visibility.
In the line "format" you have the names and in the line "Style" are the ​​corresponding values:
[Script Info]
; Script generated by Aegisub v2.1.2 RELEASE PREVIEW (, anonymous)
; http://www.aegisub.net
Title: Default Aegisub file
ScriptType: v4.00+
WrapStyle: 0
PlayResX: 720
PlayResY: 384

ScaledBorderAndShadow: yes
Video Aspect Ratio: 0
Video Zoom: 6
Video Position: 0

[V4+ Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
Style: Default,Arial,24,&H0033FFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&H00000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,2,2,2,10,10,20,1

[Events]
Format: Layer, Start, End, Style, Name, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text
Dialogue: 0,0:04:40.53,0:04:44.75,Default,,0000,0000,0000,,Was ist denn los?\NSogar CBS ist da. Ist wohl wichtig.
Dialogue: 0,0:04:44.83,0:04:48.46,Default,,0000,0000,0000,,NACHRICHTEN\NRADIO UND FERNSEHEN
Dialogue: 0,0:05:05.14,0:05:07.23,Default,,0000,0000,0000,,Einheit 2473 an Helikopter.

The color of the subs are as follows:
Color information in .ssa and .ass always looks like this: „&H00BBGGRR
BBGGRR are hexadecimal values ​​in reverse RGB order BlueGreenRed. 00 to FF is 256 gradations, which is 0 to 255, and therefore 16.7 million displayable colors.

The default font color is white: in PrimaryColour &H00FFFFFF.
If you want change the color of the font, for example in Yellow, then change the first two FF of the value to &H0033FFFF.

If you want to know which color is which hexadecimal value you can see it here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/color.php
There are almost no limits for the appearance of the subtitles.
(For a better visibility in this forum I used the color "gold" instead of "yellow")
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

pribecie

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:03 am

It is well known that subtitle is divided into two kinds: soft subtitle and hard subtitle. Soft subtitle is such a kind of subtitle which is an independent stream and can be turn off or on when you play videos if you want while hard subtitle are encoded directly into the video which means this kind of subtitle is inseparable and you have to see the subtitles during the watching.

Why hardcode soft subs? There are two major reasons. First, playing video with soft subtitles costs extra CPU power since the media player must extract, decode, and render the soft subtitle over the video image. And second, some players on mobile devices like iTunes for iOS doesn't support soft subs at all. To settle these issues once and for all, you'd better to hardcode subtitles.

1. Text to promote commercial software removed by SmallBrother.

2. Hardcode subtitles with VLC. VLC Media Player is a very well known audio/video player that has a lot of tricks up its sleeve. One of these useful tricks is the ability to render a subtitle directly on a video. To do this, select ‘Convert/Save’ under ‘Media’. Click on ‘Add’ to select the desired file on which subtitles have to be hardcoded under the ‘File’ tab. Roll down to ‘Convert’ on the bottom and click the ‘Edit Selected Profile’ button next to profile. Browse the subtitles tab and select ‘Overlay Subtitles on the Video’ to hardcode.
Here is a YouTube Video to show you how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0NzMlhnzQQ

Martinling

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 pm

When it comes to software for hardcoding subtitles, the first tool coming into my mind is Link to commercial software removed by SmallBrother., which can keep all audio tracks and subtitles including closed caption. But the disadvantage is that it can only work on iTunes movies and TV shows.

[Edit SmallBrother]
You 'forgot' to mention it costs money.
Banned.

Catherine

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 am

I personally use Joyoshare Video Joiner. Many video formats and subtitle files are supported by it. Besides adding subtitle files to video, it also allows me to edit the embedded subtitles.

Return to “General talk”