Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
morganbray

Problem with subs on mac

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:53 pm

I have the torrent + srt. Named same. Using VLC. They do not appear. On mac.

http://www.opensubtitles.com/en/subtitl ... dscapes-en

VLC says doesn't like demux get time.

Help please?

morganbray

An issue of Preferences

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:13 am

I just forgot to turn off automatic subs in preferences and set file. All is good now.

jamethy

subtitles on mac

Sun May 04, 2008 10:12 pm

hi. im new to this binding subtitles to video files so i was wondering if some one could tell me how exactly to do it please. thank you

jamethy

Sun May 04, 2008 10:14 pm

oh and er... maby i should mention im on a mac as well

eduo

Mon May 05, 2008 12:50 am

Jamethy: What exactly do you want to do? What program are you using? What format is your video and your subtitle file?

jamethy

Mon May 12, 2008 10:55 pm

i am trying to watch a .str film on a mac os x using vlc media player, but there are other types of format i would also like to watch with added subs. is there a general rule? cheers for the help

eduo

Mon May 12, 2008 11:09 pm

VLC supports at least half a dozen subtitle formats and it can show them independently of the video being watched.

Some video formats can include their own subtitles (most notable MKV and MP4) and even then you can use your own subtitle files.

The only requirement is that you put the subtitle with the EXACT same name as the movie and its extension (srt, sub, ssa, txt, etc.)

Then you have to select the subtitle from the "Video" -> "Subtitles Track" submenu. In mac it's common that no subtitle is pre-selected by default.

jamethy

Tue May 13, 2008 10:31 pm

no offence but if it was that easy it would have been done a long time ago. it wont let me select the subtitle option from the video option thats y im haveing so much trouble. how could that be solved? sorry if i sounded a bit rude thats not my intention

eduo

Tue May 13, 2008 10:42 pm

no offence but if it was that easy it would have been done a long time ago. it wont let me select the subtitle option from the video option thats y im haveing so much trouble. how could that be solved? sorry if i sounded a bit rude thats not my intention
It was, indeed, your intention. Apologizing for it afterwards doesn't make it less so.

Those are the steps I use. There's no other magic to it. If you need to make sure the names are the same you can use copy paste.

You can see here where I have the files and subtitles here:

I don't do anything other than this. It works. With VLC. It IS that easy.

The subtitle won't show if the subtitle is not named exactly the same, if you're launching from the command line, if the subtitle is not in the same place.

The subtitle won't show by default never from a network disk, because of invisible files from Mac OSX. It will appear in a menu, though.

jamethy

Tue May 13, 2008 10:43 pm

the film is an AVI and the subs are SRT. will that make a difference? otherwise the names are both the same

jamethy

Tue May 13, 2008 10:49 pm

thank you so much for your help iv got it to work. i had the subs in the same folder but in a different sub folder. i really am sorry if thats how you took it. it really was not my intention and im happy for your help, iv just had one of those days...

datyjok

Re: Problem with subs on mac

Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:42 pm

I use it for movies and regular videos: https://mac.eltima.com/add-subtitles-to-video-mac.html

Return to “General talk”