Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Adding signatures to subtitles?

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:18 pm

I thought about that, more you can read here:

http://trac.opensubtitles.org/projects/ ... /ticket/60

write me your opinions please.

eduo

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:09 pm

I think this will be the same as the proposal last time. The same arguments would apply.

What I think could be a good compromise is to include a text file in the same way some other sites include a "Downloaded from..." file.

Otherwise the same complaints for signatures will be mentioned.

eduo

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:24 am

You're welcome for the idea ;)

The .nfo file is nice, too. The name probably should be the same as that for the subtitle. I have 20 TV episodes in the same directory. .nfo files would be overwriting each other.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:46 pm

I thought about give name to nfo file same as subtitle file, but this should be a little problem with:
terminator-2-cd1.srt
terminator-2-cd2.srt
so nfo file will be terminator-2-cd1.nfo which is wrong.

for signatures - I think adding signatures, when author aproove this (he can set this in his profile) - because author of subtitles should understand it is good thing. I can code, everything will be default off (not add signatures), but when author decides his subtitles should have this signature, he just change this in his profile. Hm ?

eduo

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:01 pm

I don't mind. I like the folder (although it should take the subdownloader identifier to provide a gzip file because I believe SD is broken now) but a lot of uploaders are not subtitle authors.

eduo

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 am

By the way... How will this work now? When I download from the web I get a ZIPped folder, when I use the XMLRPC API I get a gzip'd file.

What will be the final format? I was just about to include support for ZIP folders in my app when I realized it's still downloading gzip files.

eduo

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 am

I just realized. You've included this as an additional field in the XMLRPC API.

Thanks a bunch. Having it as an option works wonderfully.

It's a shame windows doesn't include natively shell support for either gzip or zip. I have to add support for both (or at least one) :P

oss
Site Admin

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:24 am

I can add into XMLRPC option for downloading unpacked subtitles, but I don't think it is good idea at all.

eduo

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:45 am

I don't think it's a good idea either. I just mentioned it was a shame there is no native support for any compression format in subtitles.

It's really annoying.

I wish I could contact Bratao, who did Legendador back then. He had found a way to do gzip in windows in realbasic and that would help me. His source code is broken in Sourceforge and I can't contact him directly.

Nikephoros

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Do you mean to add a signature to display at the end of the SRT file and to also mention opensubtitles.org? Or do you speak of adding a signature to the NFO file?

I can say that most subtitles I added to opensubtitles.org I have neither OCR'd myself nor translated. Most uploaders do not deserve credit since they either get the subtitles from another subtitle website or from a movie released as a torrent and just merely submit it. Even OCR'ing yourself does not really merit credit, only translating it yourself merits any credit. Such people can easily if they want to append their signature at the end of the SRT file, which I have seen before.

This site is already one of the most popular subtitle sites, has the largest collection of subtitles, best navigation and features; not much more word needs to get out. Frequently when I find a foreign movie on Mininova, or Thepiratebay and it does not have subtitles, there will often be a comment that links to a subtitle on this site for that movie.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:20 pm

I am talking about adding signatures directly to subtitle files, something like (at end of movie) "Downloaded from opensubtitles.org" or something like that. So people will know where to go for movie subtitles.

Return to “General talk”