Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Nikephoros

Partial Subtitles: Example Rush Hour 3

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Rush Hour 3 was mostly in English, but there were sizeable portions of the film where French or Chinese were spoken. I remember checking on this site for partial subtitles for those segments but I had no luck. All that I found were subtitles that covered the whole movie with English subtitles, not just the foreign segments.

Does anyone know a solution?

Nikephoros

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:44 am

I found another example of partial subtitles.

The movie 12 razgnevannyh muzhchin (Russian/ 2007) IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488478/

is only partially translated. The partial translation is available here:
http://www.opensubtitles.com/en/subtitles/3249361/12-en

Shouldn't subtitles like this be marked as partially translated?

giannid

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:19 am

They're normally referred to as "hard subs" because they are usually burned into the video and you can't turn them on or off.

I know the film Red Dawn uses them for the non-english parts.

LeapinLar

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:59 am

As giannid said, usually these movies do have "Hard Subs" for the foreign parts. If they don't, then sometimes the DVD has a set of subs for just the foreign parts. One movie where this was done was "Atonement". I uploaded the "foreign only" subs at the request of a user.

Not all submakers recognize those subs on the DVD and do not make them available. Also one release of a movie may have hard subs for the foreign parts and another release of the same movie may not. The submaker also may not know it has unsubbed foreign parts unless they watch the whole movie before uploading the subs. I usually do not.

Nikephoros

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:42 am

I got Rush Hour 3 off a torrent site and it did not have hardsubs for foreign segments unfortunately. I was thinking that Opensubtitles should have a way for people to denote a translation to English of only the French and Chinese spoken segments of a movie like Rush Hour 3. All I could find when I looked was English subtitles for the whole movie(even the English spoken segments).

There is also the case of "12 razgnevannyh muzhchin" which is 159 minutes long but the subtitles is only translated for a few dozen minutes and alot of people have complained on the comments. I feel that should be denoted in some way as well. Partial subtitles are better than nothing but we should be able to mark them as such.

Return to “General talk”