Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
hector

bad links in web site

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:17 pm

Hi.

I'm reporting this in case it can be helpful for debugging. I find errors like this once in a while.
If you try to follow this link which should be valid,
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... -window-hr

it redirects to https://www.opensubtitles.org/msg-dmca

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: bad links in web site

Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi,

I don't think that's a debugging issue, but rather intentional.
Read more here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17428&start=60#p47400
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

hector

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:31 pm

OK, so this is about copyright and all that. So I must think that this subtitle has been blocked in response to some complaint.

I still don't understand why only one language is blocked. I guess the audio track is copyritghted but can it be applied to translations of it? Or even transcriptions of it? Please, excuse me for my lack of knowledge about law and legal terminology.

And anyway, I think the redirection is wrong. "dmca" works, "msg-dmca" does not.

hector

Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:57 am

What about this?

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... e-loves-en

Surprisingly enough this is my work. Is there any DMCA infringement here?
Doesn't anyone else find this kind of behaviour? Which, by the way, I still think has nothing to do with DMCA but with some kind of bug.

scooby007
Site Admin

Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:09 pm

Surprisingly enough this is my work. Is there any DMCA infringement here?

It was a similar situation with user T-G in the link I gave you. He created subs from scratch himself.
But they didn't discriminate and feel they still have the right to it. But if you still feel it's a bug, then please use "contact us" form from the main site and open a ticket so the devs can take another look for another opinion and just to make sure. But oss himself addressed the above post and I feel if it was a bug he would/may have been aware of it.

Doesn't anyone else find this kind of behaviour?

Find it weird and bizarre? On infringement for things created by users from scratch?
Yes, I do. And don't agree with it being an infringement when you've taken nothing of theirs, per se. But not well versed in statutes of law and their hidden clauses.
SB is our resident paralegal. :D

Thanks.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:09 am

dmca messages are not a bugs...

hector

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:32 pm

No, DMCA messages are not bugs but if they don't even come up, it is a bug.

Please, take 10 seconds of your time to click this link and see what happens:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/msg-dmca

Do you see any DMCA message here?

Funchalense
Site Admin

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:50 pm

I see : Requested page was blocked in response to a complaint we received under the DMCA...

hector

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:24 am

This is what I get in my computer. Don't know why but I get a random list of subtitles. No DMCA message at all.
Sorry but I can't get a direct image link. You'll have to download the file, I think.
https://www.mediafire.com/view/rhak34mw ... a.png/file
This link will destroy itself in 14 days :wink:

hector

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:38 am

Okay. Now I see it :) I got it. It just didn't reach my brain.

Dude, just one tiny line and a big list of totally unrelated stuff. Are you serious?

Funchalense
Site Admin

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:59 pm

You're right!
Only now did I notice that when I click on that link i am not directed for the DMCA message.
I only see a page with the last uploaded subtitles and a tiny line with the dmca.

When click on the link we should see the DMCA message and not a list with the last uploaded subtitles.

Clicking on that link was supposed to see the following message :

Code: Select all

Content Removal Regulations We want you to know that we do not have any copyrighted or illegal content on OpenSubtitles. We are in correspondence with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") and general international copyright laws. However, we still can remove subtitle files from our site if the copyright owner would like us to do so. The following procedure will be performed if: Send your Claim to [email protected] The Claim must be written in English language, it must be understandable and in polite form; The Claim must be sent from a company mail, Claims sent from free service emails like AOL, Yahoo Gmail, etc. will be rejected; You must present an evidence that shows that you are the copyright holder or that you are acting on behalf of the copyright holder; You must present an evidence that shows that the content is legally copyrighted and that you are the copyright holder; The materials that need to be removed must be provided in form of material name and links to direct subtitle pages. We don't accept links to search queries, categories or subcategories or media pages. Provide sufficient contact information with a valid email address. And the last thing you need to know is that after your request we will remove the subtitle file only from our website. Also we can't remove the torrent from other websites hosting it, even if the file has our name on it or in its description. Good Copyright Claim example: This is a notice in accordance with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act (OCILLA) a part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 requesting the service providers to be held strictly liable for the acts of their users & immediately cease the access to copyrighted material. We have found an infringing material in your website which indeed is our movie 'The Movie' released worldwide on December 12th, 2011 and we own copyright to its subtitles (transcript). The material that is claimed to be infringing is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled immediately and avoid the growth of piracy. Below are the URL for your reference: Subtitle link 1 Subtitle link 2 We have good faith & belief that the use of the described material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. The information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed. We hereby declare that the information in the notification is accurate to the best of our knowledge & belief. Authorization letter of the copyright owner (or person/company representing): Link to the letter A document proving that the materials are copyrighted and belong to owner (or person/company representing): Link to the document Digital signature for copyright claim: Full info including address, phone, email and website. Copyright owners: Full info including address, phone, email and website.

Return to “General talk”