Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
dan1e1w

new app: Subtitles for iPhone

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:31 am

Hi,

I’ve just released a simple subtitle viewer for the iPhone. It’s probably most useful at the cinema, but it’s a handy thing to have for those situations where (for whatever reason) you can’t get subtitles to appear alongside your movie. I streamlined the search process somewhat, since I’m obviously not dealing in hashes. It’s free, so check it out.

itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/subtitles/id358913522?mt=8

(or search in the App Store for subtitles - it's the one by Structure6 - orange icon).

I’d be interested in hearing feedback.

Thanks,

Dan.

mckeeganwrx

Re: new app: Subtitles for iPhone

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:30 pm

I don't have an iPhone or an iPod Touch (though, if this app does what it says it will, I can probably convince my wife to let me get one. I never thought it'd be a free app that convinces me to get the expensive hardware), but I'm interested in learning more about the program.

Does it stream subs from Opensubtitles.org or does it download them? Are users able to choose from various subtitles (you know almost every movie has tons of uploaded subs)? Can we load our own .srt files and have the app read them? Any plans for an Android version?

Sorry to pester, but I'm extremely interested in this app. Thanks for releasing it!

Mike

dan1e1w

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:39 am

Hey Mike,

The app will download srt files from opensubtitles - they're not big. It only takes a couple of seconds to search and download the subtitles for a movie.

I wanted to provide a really simple search feature - so no, at the moment you're not able to choose the actual subtitle to download, the app will do it for you based on user-rating. There are a few sticky points with this approach but generally it works really well.

I've had some feedback that I'll implement if there's enough interest:

1. Caching/Pre-downloading subtitles. Useful if there's no 3G signal in the cinema.

2. Configurable fonts.

I guess an "advanced search" would be something that could be added to this list. It would allow the user to explicitly select an srt. You'd then be able to upload your srt to opensubtitles.org, and download it to the phone.

I'd definitely build an Android version if there's enough demand!

mckeeganwrx

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:24 am

1. Caching/Pre-downloading subtitles. Useful if there's no 3G signal in the cinema.

2. Configurable fonts.

3. I guess an "advanced search" would be something that could be added to this list. It would allow the user to explicitly select an srt. You'd then be able to upload your srt to opensubtitles.org, and download it to the phone.

4. I'd definitely build an Android version if there's enough demand!
1. Also extremely useful to Touch owners. It's probably unlikely the cinema will have free WiFi.

2. In addition to/instead of configurable fonts, how about a brightness/contrast setting? The white text might be glaringly bright in a dark theater during night scenes or something.

3. Seems like a long-ish step to just be able to load srt files on the device itself and have the app read locally?

4. I'll be honest, I have neither an Apple nor an Android device (but like I said, I could convince my wife to let me get a Touch, provided the app could cache subs or load subs from a local srt), but I lean toward the Android persuasion. If I were to get a smartphone, I'd definitely get an Android device.

Thanks again for serving the needs of the Deaf/HoH!

dan1e1w

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:26 am

1. Also extremely useful to Touch owners. It's probably unlikely the cinema will have free WiFi.

... Absolutely.
2. In addition to/instead of configurable fonts, how about a brightness/contrast setting? The white text might be glaringly bright in a dark theatre during night scenes or something.

Yes. That's definitely a configuration candidate.
3. Seems like a long-ish step to just be able to load srt files on the device itself and have the app read locally?

I suppose. Ideally you wouldn’t need worry about loading an srt, one would always exist online... And I do like the idea that users are encouraged to contribute content. Having said that, it's definitely something I'd implement given enough interest.

Dan.

TedTheBellhop

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:07 pm

i love the idea! had a similar idea some time ago (like subs in glasses - augmented reality like). i know many deaf people and i think the program has pretty much potential!

i don't even know if i'll ever use it in a cinema but i am following the progress and will show it to some deaf friends.

keep up the good work

mcjanger

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Daniel,

Here's my review of your Subtitles iPhone app at:

http://abledbody.com/profoundlyyours/20 ... on-the-go/

I found out about this app earlier this week on Facebook through a friend, and was excited - as a deaf person - to try it out for Abledbody.

Daniel, if you could contact me at the link below, I'd love to ask you some questions. Here's the link: http://michaeljanger.com/contact-m/

Cheers.

mckeeganwrx

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Michael,

I'm curious to know where on Facebook you found out about the app?

On March 15th(ish) I posted a link to the Subtitles app in a couple places: One as my status that a couple deaf friends re-posted, and in the Deaf Rights - Subtitles group. I was trying to spread awareness of this app to as many people as I could. I think it'd be neat if my efforts were what directed you to try out the app.

Now, to Daniel:

I see now that the app has a download/cache feature and a brightness option. Just for that, I'm going to buy the app as soon as I get home, and I don't even have an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad (but I will be getting an Android in October when my current contract expires). I just think that what you're doing is awesome and I gotta support anyone that's looking out for my best interests.

Thanks again for the amazing app!

TedTheBellhop

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Here's my review of your Subtitles iPhone app at:

http://abledbody.com/profoundlyyours/20 ... on-the-go/
Hey, i read your review, nicely done.

But about the part with the quality of the subtitles:
The subtitle quality only depends on the content uploaded by all the opensubtitles.org users. It is not a limitation of the application, you have to select the right subtitles for having subs for hearing impaired people.
I usually upload all kinds (if available):
- colored subtitles (for hearing impaired)
- for hearing impaired
- common subs
- only forced

The only limitation the application might have is relative positioning and displaying colored subtitles. But I think the developer knows that better ;)

Still, I'm happy that there seems to be an approach to help deaf people enjoying movies in theaters!

mcjanger

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 pm

mckeeganwrx: it was a friend who posted a link to the Subtitles app on iTunes on my live feed. I took that up from there. My friend could have found out about it either through you or the group site you mentioned. I'll ask my friend.

TedTheBellhop: Thanks for checking out my article. Yes, the subtitle quality is definitely a limitation of the data, not the Subtitles app itself. That's why I mentioned at the end of my review my desire to see better-quality transcripts either in the Subtitles app and/or on other future mobile captioning applications that may be developed (for the Blackberry? Android?).

Can you tell me more about the formats beyond the basic transcripts that you described? Are different formats available on every movie transcript? If not, there would have to be a big effort to add the visual cues of non-verbal sounds, and identification of speakers, to every movie transcript available today.

mcjanger

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:38 pm

mckeeganwrx: Checked with my friend. He simply Googled for this topic and this information came up, and then he posted on Facebook. So it didn't come from your side...at least it's always good for everyone to spread the word!

dan1e1w

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks for the feedback. As a developer it's great to know the software I write is making a difference to someone.

I'm looking into resolving some of these limitations...

I've contacted NCAM (http://ncam.wgbh.org) who provide a rear-window captioning system. Maybe I can get them to share some of their data and either convert/upload it to opensubtitles, or download it directly. They don't provide captions for all movies - but they seem to have a decent selection. I'm also looking into the "hard of hearing" flag that appears on some of the files hosted at opensubtitles - though I'm not seeing much difference between those and the regular subtitles.

I'm still thinking about possible solutions to the syncing problem... I'm hoping I get something from NCAM, and their files are a bit more predictable (For example, I could start the movie when the MPAA rating screen is shown). Any ideas?

Dan.

TedTheBellhop

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:35 pm

oh there are HUGE differences in "hard of hearing/hearing impaired" and usual subtitles:

just some examples - good subtitles for "hearing impaired" contain:
- a hyphen ("-") when speaker changes (otherwise a deaf person won't recognize the change)
- "non dialog audio descriptions" like [Shot fired] or [Telephone rings] (those are extremely important as they are changing the storyline - e.g. a person shots himself while not being seen
- italic font for showing that the person is not seen or he/she is singing
- "Onomatopoeia" - sometimes there appears text like <Beep, beep> e.g. for R2D2 ;)
- Color! German television broadcasts with colored subtitles - I usually upload colored and non-colored subtitles (color is way better for distinguishing the actor - e.g. when it is a voice-over)
- Position - sometimes subtitles are placed where the speaker is being seen OR where the sound appears to come from
- Music is transcribed like "♪ Sweet Home California ♪" :)

So it is crucial to have both: subs for hard of hearing AND just usual subtitles (because some people are annoyed by lines like [computer beeps].
It would be perfect if you are able to support colored subtitles - be aware that they are usually in different formats (typically ASS/SSA).

If you have any questions about formats and timings, don't hesitate asking me.

dan1e1w

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:03 am

Okay, understood.

The big problem here is that the opensubtitles API doesn't appear to expose the "hard of hearing" flag. I'll see what I can do...

I'll add support for color in the next release.

Thanks.

Dan.

mcjanger

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Daniel,

Thank you for your email. I tried to reply to it but it bounced back. Is there another email address you use that is more accessible? You can email me with a different address and I will try to respond to you.

Thanks so much.
Michael Janger

Return to “Programs using OS”