Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
whitster

Foreign letters and hard coding

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 am

Hello. I'm new to this forum and am starting to subtitle movies and want to upload here. I'm having a bit of a problem. I translated a movie into Mongolian, which uses Cyrillic letters. No matter what I do, I cannot get the letters to show up in my player. It just comes up as gibberish on the screen.

Next, once I get this to work, how do I hard code the subtitles to the movie and save the file? This is in case I want to put it on a dvd or something for someone rather than just watch it on the computer.

thanks in advance,

wr

TedTheBellhop

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:22 pm

for those cyrillic letters:

make sure you save those subs either as UTF8 or Unicode.
If you can open the subs in e.g. Notepad and it shows the cyrillic letters then the file is okay. if not then you might have saved it using ANSI.

So if the file is okay (showing cyrillic letters) then you have to use another player, one which is capable of displaying UTF8 or Unicode files.

It could be that the file is requiring a different codepage (cyrillic is Windows-1251 afaik http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251). Best idea for that would be:
- open the file with notepad (or another editor, even subtitle editor like aegisub)
- check if the cyrillic letters are displayed
- save the file as UTF8 or Unicode

there are many options how you hardcode the subs to a movie, please use google or check threads in this board, e.g.:
viewtopic.php?t=292&highlight=hardcode

Return to “Programs using OS”