Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Robert

[HOWTO] SubDownloader on Mac OSX

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi there,

I got SubDownloader working on Mac OSX. I will post my steps here. I'm using a iMac(intel). So I will be using universal binaries of python and wxWidgets.

1. Download the source files, I did this from this location:

https://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.p ... .3.src.zip

Extract the package using a unarchiver or the command line:

# unzip ./SubDownloader1.2.3.src.zip

2. Download and install python from here(this package also works on PPC):

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/ ... -04-07.dmg

3. Download and install wxPython from here(make sure you pick the unicode 2.4 version for you architecture):

http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries

4. Download IMDbPY source tarball from here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/imdb ... 2.8.tar.gz

Use the console and extract and install:

# cd <dir where you downloaded IMDbPY>
# tar xvzf ./IMDbPY-2.8.tar.gz
# python ./setup.py install

5. Run SubDownloader, I do this from command line, not sure if it works by clicking:

# python ./SubDownloader.py

Good luck and keep uploading these subtitles + hashes!

oss
Site Admin

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:03 am

thanks for nice post! now it is proved, that SubDownloader works on MAC, that's great :)

I found this post so useful, so I make it sticky :)

...and upload hashes, hehe

eduo

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:47 am

Two things.

1.-The source code for 1.2.4.1 is not available. Nor in Forja, not in Sourceforge.

2.-The instructions don't work for me. After I run the installers and try to run SubDownload.py itself I get an error:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last): File "./SubDownloader.py", line 21, in ? import SubDownloaderFrame File "/Users/Shared/Bigbig/Downloads/SubDownloader1.2.3/SubDownloaderFrame.py", line 21, in ? import DownloadWindow File "/Users/Shared/Bigbig/Downloads/SubDownloader1.2.3/DownloadWindow.py", line 7, in ? import globals File "/Users/Shared/Bigbig/Downloads/SubDownloader1.2.3/globals.py", line 19, in ? l = l.split ( '_' ) # i [get fr,FR] AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'
So there is still something missing and I can't figure out what it is.

I was happy to see the thread about SubDownload working for macOSX (as I was trying to run it in XP under Parallels and kept getting the stupid error that gdi.dll can't fix.

Now I have two platforms, bot with SubDownload, and the program doesn't work in either. Too sad.

Any clue at what the error could be?

Saludos

Eduo

eduo

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:19 am

I decided to stop trying to figure out the problem and directly went to take the lines out. So now I'm forcing the locale to be english (I couldn't care less about the others, I should be using esES but I am not).

Now I find problems in other places.

It would be nice if the developers considered making a command line tool of sorts. Much faster and easier.

eduo

Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:41 am

Ok. I got this thing to work in MacOSX without so many errors.

Same steps as above, with the following notes:

1.-Download the source for 1.2.4 instead of 1.2.3, the latter is too buggy. Since it seems available only over SVN in forja and the daily tarball routine is broken I've provided a tarball myself here:

(I HAVE TAKEN THE URL OUT BECAUSE IT'S OLD AND OUTDATED)

2.-Run it with the same command as noted. Please keep in mind screens don't properly refresh, so sometimes you'll have to click in one screen, then in the status one to refresh it.

3.-Upload functionality is broken. The screen is cut halfway step 5, I haven't bothered changing the height yet.

4.-Language selection doesn't work, you get all languages (I did have to exit part of the globals giving an error with "split", so it doesn't pre-select).

Have fun. Let's hope the upload works soon, as the way it is doesn't really work.

Buena suerte,

Eduo
Last edited by eduo on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eduo

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:02 pm

Forget it. Version 1.2.6 is totally and completely broken on OSX. The amount of errors is incredible and I stopped trying to fix them after the tenth or twelfth.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:24 pm

I am sorry, you wrote about linux/macos is not priority for SubDownloader and I think - you are simply right. There will be new software soon, it will be coded in delphi, working under win, so there will be no lin/mac soft ;(

on the other side, subdownloader is developed under windows enviroment, maybe you can join coders team and help a bit to porting to other OSes

eduo

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:53 pm

I have tried and I must admit, it's a VERY SAD state that while the project started as a multi-platform tool it's been moving more and more towards a windows-only solution. Really ironic considering it's called OPEN subtitles and all the tools it takes advantage of (movie codecs, p2p protocols, subtitle protocols, etc.) open tools that have been created and designed in other platforms and shared to windows.

Sad, very sad.

Even the examples shown in the wiki are not really what they say. The C example is actually C++ and even more, both the C and C++ examples are for microsoft Visual C++ and not really standard C++. Not even the python example works as written. Disappointing.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:19 am

yes, I hope it will change, because I personally want to work it under linux/macos (even I dont use them myself). I will talk to Ivan - main developer, if he can do something about it.

Also about source codes - python should work (if it works in subdownloader), if not - just paste there right code. For C/C++ - I dont code under these languages, I think it is better than nothing.

We have to remember, this project is for free, based on its volunteers. If you want improve the code - you are welcome, as every other. It is very easy to say - it doesn't work.

eduo

Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 pm

Quick note, if anyone is reading.

I can run SD in MacOSX using the 1.2.9 sources following the advice above and commenting out (putting a "#" in front of the line) line 3948 of file extra/CustomTreeCtrl/CustomTreeCtrl.py

I've been using for a while now and it seems to work OK.

eduo

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:25 pm

For those tracking this, the Google Code page has an updated package (and a collaborator we can't seem to be able to reach :)

http://code.google.com/p/subdownloader/ ... stallation

It doesn't really work out of the box in most situations, but I can't test in mine to see where the errors may be.

So, if anyone is reading this:

If you don't have it already, please download the executable and run it. If it doesn't run try opening the "Console.app" application and running it again, and see what error comes up.

If you created the application please let me know what you used, so I can maintain it further and add what's missing.

Return to “Programs using OS”