Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
skol

Subtitle Editor Help!

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Guys reading this topic https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... =1&t=16708 I gather we now have to pay for using Google *subtitle editor* for a few years i was able to come to opensubtitles.org and download any subs and create subs for my encodes, up until a few months ago i noticed this was no longer possible.

So is there no other option(s) than paying Google? to use this API key..

Cheers.

skol

Re: Subtitle Editor Help!

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Anyone with an answer? to help me understand better about this API key? thank you.

skol

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:27 pm

So someone is approving my post as staff, so why can you not post a few pointers? *Translation API pricing* which do you think I should purchase? https://cloud.google.com/translate/

scooby007
Site Admin

Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 pm

So someone is approving my post as staff, so why can you not post a few pointers? *Translation API pricing* which do you think I should purchase? https://cloud.google.com/translate/
They probably don't know how to help, and neither do I, to be honest. They probably approve your post in the hope someone else can give an insight to your query, when they can't. You asked "*Translation API pricing*", does that same topic not give you the pricing on the same link you provided: https://cloud.google.com/translate/#pricing

Also, your posts from the onset is a little vague as to what you want with the API?
1: Is it for your own website you're creating?
2: Is it for a program/software you're creating to interact with a subtitle website?
3: Is it just so you can create google translated subtitles for your video files?

There are already subtitle programs to interact with existing subtitle sites to obtain subtitles for movies that users may have. These software are for free by the creators, not monetized and did use the free API to interact with the website(s). If google is gonna charge them to use the API, then it makes their work and software for future development redundant. Unless, of course, they monetise their software to keep it going. As most developers do this in their free time for the benefit of the community, I can't imagine that continuing.

From your initial post, I'd assume it was the latter of the three that interested you? If that's the case, I've never liked google translated subtitles, so don't know much about it and as to how you can continue getting machine translated subtitles. Paying google for an API key to continue making machine translated subtitles for yourself seems a waste.
Alternatively, you can buy a VIP membership that wouldn't cost more than $10 a year (I think) from the new opensubtitles.com website and use that sites AI (artificial intelligence) interface to create subtitles in your language from existing subtitles on the site. Just don't upload them into the English section, please. :D

If this post doesn't help you, then I don't know much more about the subject, unless someone else jumps in.
Sorry.

skol

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Thank you scooby for answering my question..

1, Is it for your own website you're creating? (NO)
2, Is it for a program/software you're creating to interact with a subtitle website? (NO)
3, Is it just so you can create google translated subtitles for your video files? (yes)

Yes i am wanting to continue adding subs to my encoded movies in English, Spanish, and others, sadly as you quite correctly put it ( your posts from the onset is a little vague) sorry bro, i am using *subtitle-edit-3-2-8* until a few months ago i could come to your website and freely download subs & create alternative subs using subtitle editor, then it started displaying an error message saying i need a API key, since waiting on a reply i headed over to Google and got myself a API key, i have not tried using subtitle editor since i got my key, if i was to be honest with you Scooby i am in 2 minds if i should use it.

I am not 100% sure how it works as yet & how Google track how much you have used to bill you? i would much prefer another application i could use without been taxed.

And (Alternatively, you can buy a VIP membership that wouldn't cost more than $10 a year )?? is this from this site??

scooby007
Site Admin

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:06 pm

sadly as you quite correctly put it ( your posts from the onset is a little vague) sorry bro,
There's really no need to apologise. :D
i have not tried using subtitle editor since i got my key, if i was to be honest with you Scooby i am in 2 minds if i should use it. I am not 100% sure how it works as yet & how Google track how much you have used to bill you?
Well, if you're in 2 minds and not used it yet, then don't bother and cancel that membership. Depending on how much you use it, I think it's going to be quite expensive in the end. And a lot more than $10 a year. Again, depending on how much you use it. From the sounds of it, it seems you're creating quite a collection of movies/series for yourself, so it would be quite a tab at the end of the year. They will be billing you according to how many words you have translated by their software, so it's character counted. I think that pricing link I provided above states generally how much the charges can be by character count.
And (Alternatively, you can buy a VIP membership that wouldn't cost more than $10 a year )?? is this from this site??
Yes, check the following link: https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/support_us#vip

Bare in mind opensubtitles.org is still our main-site for now, and opensubtitles.com is in beta testing phase.
That AI service might be a good option for you eventually, but the subtitles would need to be pre-existing on the site for you to be able to download a subtitle in your preferred language. If it's already in sync with your file, then brilliant, otherwise you would need to sync them with your specific release.
I'm certain somehow you can still translate subtitles from one language to another for free somehow, but if you can't find anything, then at least you know about the AI service on our site.
Thank you scooby for answering my question..
Anytime, bro. Happy hunting. And all the best with what you decide to use.

Disclaimer: I'm not asking you to choose one medium over the other, only pointing out that google service for your specific needs would prove to be not so cost effective. Before wasting your money, explore all your options before you jump into a committent. Back in the day, some people used to copy and paste their subtitles in Babel fish software, and paste the translated text back into the original .srt file. Don't know if that might even work for you. Or try: https://translatesubtitles.com/

I also asked os_dev, our developer of the new site, to provide more info about the AI service on the .com website. If he's available and free soon, hopefully he can give you more info about that.

os_dev

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks scooby007, everything you said is accurate, our AI system is provided by a partner, to my opinion far better than google, as the engine understands context a lot better.

But it cannot be used to simply upload and translate subtitle files, the subtitles must be present on our site. You cannot either simply upload your subtitles on opensubtitles.com, they need to be uploaded and validated on opensubtitles.org (I can imagine it can be confusing/annoying, sorry about that)

Maybe all the subtitles you need for translation are already available, if you need translations in one of these languages
- English
- French
- German
- Spanish
- Portuguese
- Italian
- Dutch
- Polish
- Russian

You can just look for the title you need, find a subtitle that matches your release (also in one of the listed languages) and request a translation on the subtitle page

About the VIP, if you do not desire to spend 10$, you can also install our support browser extension
https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/extension/

it will replace the default search engine of your browser (chrome of firefox) with one from our partner. (you need to keep it installed to have the translation features available)

Would love to hear your feedback if you try some translations, then also please tell me in what languages you are translating. I can only seriously measure the quality of translations between english and french, but between those 2 I can say I'm really impressed, of course you still get a few out of context mistakes, but I find totally usable, no comparaison with the awful usual automatic translations.

Return to “General talk”