Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
losiledlighting

How do I make an SRT file from a DVD?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:55 am

Hi everyone..surfing a bit in the forum i saw famous name like LeapinLar, or Scooby007, that i saw when i was downloading movies with subtitles.
Is a bit that i try to rip subtitles out of DVDs, but i fail. There are many programs that extract .sub, but i wanna have the extention .srt!
I used SubRip..but the result is totally unacceptable..ok till is Arial Unicode the I and the l has no difference, but when i open with notepad i see how really looks and it's horrible..but when i download any torrent with english subtitles in srt format i see that are completely perfect and mistake free..i dont think that those guys change every single letter.
Can you guys help me to find a program (free or not) that makes me rip subtitles perfectly out of dvds?

Thank you very much for reading!

fun7om

Re: How do I make an SRT file from a DVD?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:51 pm

I dont know if thats considered the same, but in the past i had trouble watching with "sub" format.
so i used ‏‏SubtitleWorkshop 2.51 to convert to "srt". and it was perfect.

arcchancellor

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 am

First you must rip out the .sub from a DVD or the .sup from a BD and then in another step change the format.

1. Take MakeMKV to rip the disc on your harddrive.
2. Take mkvextract (it's part of the MKVToolnix package) to demux the sub/sup from the movie.
3. Take DVDSubExtractor to run an ocr (optical character recognition) and change the image-based sub/sup in a text-based srt.

That's it.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

tofke34

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 am

At first rip the dvd with Makemkv

download MKVCleaver, with this tool you can rip the proper .srt file from the video file

sometimes you have more then 1 option, there can also be a hearing impaired file, or if you just want te audio you can also make a seperate audio file with it

arcchancellor

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am

download MKVCleaver, with this tool you can rip the proper .srt file from the video file
1.) MKVCleaver is just a gui for MKVToolnix e. g. mkvextract and not an independent tool.

2.) a DVD contains no .srt files but vobsub files e.g. idx/sub files. You have to run an ocr to change the format.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Guys, thanks a lot for your kind and helpful replies, but I think topic starter is pulling our leg.
Have a look at the first post of https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... f=1&t=2881
I don't think loserledlighting will be back...

Still, some useful things being said, so let's keep this topic.
I have changed the title accordingly.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”