Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
john3voltas

Subs not showing up on Kodi

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Hello.
Once in a while I find a movie that I want to watch that doesn't have PT-PT or PT-BR subtitles.
Lately I have tried for more than a couple of times to add such subs to opensubtitles.org just to later realize that Kodi can't find my subs.
So, Kodi can easily find subs from anybody else posting here but apparently it can't find my subs, I mean, the ones that I upload here.
Could I be missing some sub detail field that Kodi later reads in order to find subs here?
Do I need to wait a lot of time between posting here and Kodi being able to find the sub?
Here's an example of a PT-BR sub that I uploaded (not my work) and that Kodi can't find.
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... en-hall-pb
Cheers

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Subs not showing up on Kodi

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:55 am

The upload is missing a hash code.
See the explanation here: https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... 11&t=16102
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

john3voltas

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 am

Oh, I see. Thanks for the tip.
Say, since I'm using Kodi on my tablet and my movies are sitting on my NAS box I don't see a way that I could use an upload tool.
But since the subs are available on other languages which have those hashes, could I use those hashes and put them on the subs that I am uploading as long as the timecodes look exactly the same?
I don't see a field for adding the hashes when uploading the subs manually. On which field of the subtitle upload form should I put the hashes?
TIA
Cheers

john3voltas

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 am

I wrote another message that is missing in this thread. Could it still be waiting approval?
Cheers

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 am

I wrote another message that is missing in this thread. Could it still be waiting approval?
Yes. Sometimes admins sleep ;-)
But since the subs are available on other languages which have those hashes, could I use those hashes and put them on the subs that I am uploading as long as the timecodes look exactly the same?
I don't see a field for adding the hashes when uploading the subs manually. On which field of the subtitle upload form should I put the hashes?
You cannot add hash codes this way. To have hash codes added to your upload (and thus software like Kodi being able to find it), there are a few ways:
- Just wait. Eventually others who are using the subtitle will automatically add the hash code(s).
- Make sure you have a matching video file and use uploading software to upload the subtitle. The actual subtitle will be rejected (because it already exists), but then the hash code will be added to that subtitle. Cache is involved, so it may take some time for it to appear.
- Delete your own subtitle and re-upload using uploading software (also with this method, make sure you have a matching video file). In this case the subtitle must be (a bit) different from the one you just deleted and you should be logged in.

To just upload subtitles with a hash code, I would recommend the OpenSubtitles-Uploader. Very easy and user friendly. Just drag and drop the video and subtitle file and most probably all fields are filled out automatically. See also the forum topic about it.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

john3voltas

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Yes. Sometimes admins sleep ;-)
Sure. I just didn't notice the message stating that messages go through mods first. So I was confused and didn't know if I had posted on another topic by mistake or if the forum hadn't accepted my message at all. Sorry about that, mate. ;-)
You cannot add hash codes this way. To have hash codes added to your upload (and thus software like Kodi being able to find it), there are a few ways:
- Just wait. Eventually others who are using the subtitle will automatically add the hash code(s).
Not very practical. If it's an old movie which not much people are looking into watching I'm going to have to wait a very long time for the sub to get hashed. And that's if it evens get hashed...
- Make sure you have a matching video file and use uploading software to upload the subtitle. The actual subtitle will be rejected (because it already exists), but then the hash code will be added to that subtitle. Cache is involved, so it may take some time for it to appear.
As said, the movies reside on a NAS. I can't run an app on the NAS because it's a closed black box.
- Delete your own subtitle and re-upload using uploading software (also with this method, make sure you have a matching video file). In this case the subtitle must be (a bit) different from the one you just deleted and you should be logged in.
Same thing as in the previous option, if I'm getting it properly. Can't run an upload utility on a NAS. I mean, I don't even have file sharing active on that NAS. All content is available through DLNA only.

Could you please explain why uploading the hash through the website is not available? Your database has the required fields for the hashes. It would only be a matter of adding a field in the sub upload form.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Sorry about that, mate. ;-)
No worries :)
Just wait.
Not very practical. If it's an old movie which not much people are looking into watching I'm going to have to wait a very long time for the sub to get hashed. And that's if it evens get hashed...
Very true, makes sense. So go for one of the other two options.
Make sure you have a matching video file and use uploading software to upload the subtitle.
As said, the movies reside on a NAS. I can't run an app on the NAS because it's a closed black box.
Instead of running an app on a NAS, you could get the file from the NAS to wherever the uploader program resides.
I mean, I don't even have file sharing active on that NAS. All content is available through DLNA only.
I guess then you are stuck. I mean, if you don't have a plate, you cannot put food on it...
Could you please explain why uploading the hash through the website is not available?
It would be begging for wrong hashes - we already have enough of those ;-)

john3voltas

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 pm

I guess then you are stuck. I mean, if you don't have a plate, you cannot put food on it...
Well, the way I see it, I'm just stuck with no dinner because I can't use the website to upload the sub AND the hash. :-/
It would be begging for wrong hashes - we already have enough of those ;-)
Fair.
But coming to think of it, it is already possible to upload a sub using the website saying that it is for movie A, using language B with IMDB code C and in fact that can all be false. In fact, as I write this message anybody can make mistakes when uploading using the website and that will lead to wrong subs which to me it's roughly the same as wrong movie name or wrong language.
By allowing hash upload on the website form you would just be adding another detail like name of the movie, IMDB code or whatever.
I honestly don't see such a big difference but I guess I'll have to live with that...

BTW, I still don't understand why the sub that I uploaded for the legend of ben hall in PT-BR was disabled. Not that it has such a big importance but I'm just curious. ;-)

TIA
Cheers

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:03 pm

Well, the way I see it, I'm just stuck with no dinner because I can't use the website to upload the sub AND the hash. :-/
Yes, but that's because you organized the things on your side the way you did. After all, it *IS* possible to upload subs with a hash code.
it is already possible to upload a sub using the website saying that it is for movie A, using language B with IMDB code C and in fact that can all be false. In fact, as I write this message anybody can make mistakes when uploading using the website and that will lead to wrong subs which to me it's roughly the same as wrong movie name or wrong language.
By allowing hash upload on the website form you would just be adding another detail like name of the movie, IMDB code or whatever.
I honestly don't see such a big difference but I guess I'll have to live with that...
Movie title and language is very easy to check and change, hash code is not. Moreover, it is the hash being crucial for automation.
BTW, I still don't understand why the sub that I uploaded for the legend of ben hall in PT-BR was disabled. Not that it has such a big importance but I'm just curious. ;-)
That question was off-topic (better keep one topic for one subject/problem/question), so I moved it here: https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... =1&t=16180

john3voltas

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 am

That question was off-topic (better keep one topic for one subject/problem/question), so I moved it here: https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... =1&t=16180
Thanks a bunch. Now I understand why it was disabled.
Yes, but that's because you organized the things on your side the way you did. After all, it *IS* possible to upload subs with a hash code.
Well, yes but it is only available to people using the subs on a general purpose computer which is not my use case.

I think now I understand how management wants opensubtitles.org to work and I don't want to change that. But without having to change the whole concept, maybe there's a way that it could also work for people using opensubtitles.org on a set top box or on a NAS like me.
Let's say that someone uploads a sub in English with a given hash. Immediately hundreds of users download that sub, they use it and after a couple of days they don't report anything wrong with it. The sub is deemed fine and is a good match with the video hash.
So now there's an entry in OSDb saying something like IMDB code A is linked with video hash B and with English sub C_en_us.1.
Now I come in using the web upload form and I upload a Portuguese sub for the same movie.
Into OSDB goes something like IMDB code A is linked with Portuguese sub C_pt_pt.1.
Now, you can't trust me because you know that people fail like hell but you trust the original English upload because no one reported it and it was accomplished using one of your certified upload tools.
So, couldn't you run a comparison between both subs, the C_en_us.1 and mine C_pt_pt.1 and check for similarities? I mean, if the timecodes match 100% then I'd say that my upload is good, right?
It wouldn't work for everybody in every case because subs can be made with different timecodes for the same movie/tvshow due to language restrictions but at least it would give us a chance...

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 am

Basically your idea is good. In fact, already now hashes are somehow compared and wrong/correct hashes are detected.

But in reality it would not work, simply because of the fact that if nobody says something is wrong, it doesn't mean it's all good. Even after years or thousands of downloads. Assuming one subtitle (hash, whatever) is good because nobody reported it wrong, and using this as reference for other subs, would only make it worse.

Another problem is, like you say, that time codes could vary slightly, but subs could still be matching. It would be a very difficult (if not impossible) job to program a sense making comparing algorithm.

So I'm sorry, I think you just have to live with the situation as it is: no hash with your uploads OR change your setup OR copy your subs and video to a regular computer for upload.

Return to “General talk”