Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Blackwolfpt

Plagiarism or normal?

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi there,

I submitted subtitles for all episodes of Apocalypse World War I in Portuguese. I used some English subtitles as a framework, made the translations in relation to what the narrator said and overhauled the sync times. Apparently 1 month later an admin "MaSousa" copy pasted all my subtitles, with almost no changes, and uploaded them. In the 100 lines I checked, there was simply one "s" he removed from a word and there was also another part, where he just outright removed around 1 minute of subtitles, so the episode has no subs at all in some areas, even though the narrator is still speaking. Everything else was the same in comparison to my subs.

Example: http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/ ... id-3650352

Now it's not that I want some special recognition or anything of the like for the subs, but I was just wondering if this is a normal process that admins do sometimes or is considered as acceptable? Just wanted to make sure of that, since it took me around a week for each episode and to see someone just copy paste them like that, feels a bit wrong.

Thank you for your time

Funchalense
Site Admin

Re: Plagiarism or normal?

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Boas, vou escrever em português.

As legendas foram postadas por mim, mas não foram alteradas por mim.
Pelo que eu sei alguém de outro site, pegou nas tuas legenda, fez uma revisão, uma pequena alteração na sincronia, no texto, dividiu linhas etc etc

Verifiquei-as com o programa examDiff e as legendas como foi feita uma revisão têm várias alterações.

Quanto ao minuto retirado de linhas, talvez a release dele não tenha essas partes e ele retirou essa parte do texto.
Nem todas as releases são iguais.

Quanto a alguém pegar em outras legendas e fazer revisão e sincronia é normal.
Os créditos ele diz que as legendas estavam assim(não sei de onde ele tirou-as).

Como podes ver aqui :

http://prnt.sc/c5yzoo

Blackwolfpt

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Ok, obrigado pela resposta.

Foi a primeira vez que fiz legendas, por isso não estava ao corrente do facto de se fazerem revisões de outras legendas. Penso que, pelo menos, essa pessoa não deveria ter retirado o meu nome dos créditos, mas enfim. Também nao é algo de grave.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Foi a primeira vez que fiz legendas, por isso não estava ao corrente do facto de se fazerem revisões de outras legendas. Penso que, pelo menos, essa pessoa não deveria ter retirado o meu nome dos créditos, mas enfim. Também nao é algo de grave.
Tens razão os créditos nunca devem ser removidos.
Erro meu não ter visto se os créditos estavam correctos.

Ele diz que quando fez o download já estavam sem créditos, não sei de onde ele as tirou.
Mas eu já vou actualizar as legendas e meter os teus créditos no ficheiro .srt

Funchalense
Site Admin

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Tens razão os créditos nunca devem ser removidos.
Ele diz que quando fez o download já estavam sem créditos, não sei de onde ele as tirou.
Mas eu já vou actualizar as legendas e meter os teus créditos no ficheiro .srt

Blackwolfpt

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Pois, não sei de onde é que ele retirou as legendas então. Obrigado pela correção.

hector

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:18 am

First of all, folks, write in English in English section, please. I'm Spanish so it is not hard for me to understand Portuguese but let's keep some tidiness.

Concerning the subject, I think everyone is in his right to take some work, change it (even if it is only one letter) and make it public. But yes,
credits should not be deleted or, even worse, changed.

When I use somebody else's work I try to keep the credirs when they are present. I think there must be some point where subtitles differ so much from the original that they could be removed but clearly this doesn't mean one letter, not even 10 sentences.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:38 pm

I think there must be some point where subtitles differ so much from the original that they could be removed but clearly this doesn't mean one letter, not even 10 sentences.
I don't think so. Even if 95% of the lines is corrected or even rewritten, the credits should remain. The idea behind it is that the original translator did (a lot) of work and those credits are the only reward for that. Also, if those credits for (a possibly bad) translation are removed, what could the new credits be? Because after all, the person who did all the corrections just corrected, but did NOT translate...
But in case of a major revision it makes total sense to add credits for that job ("Translated by A, major revision by B"), but again, those credits should be ADDED, and not be a REPLACEMENT.

See https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... 31&t=15140 for what I wrote about credits in the Dutch section - Google is your friend (sometimes).
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Also, if those credits for (a possibly bad) translation are removed, what could the new credits be? Because after all, the person who did all the corrections just corrected, but did NOT translate.
I DID translate. I can talk about a real example:
http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitl ... u-monde-es

I found this Spanish subtitle. At first I corrected some sentences, mostly typos and punctuation and I uploaded it with the original credits. This was quick and easy. But the main problem here was the differences between Latin Spanish and True Spanish (just kidding). So I kept on changing more and more. The point is that I DID translate because I rewrote many parts FROM THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT. So it was not just a correction but a real translation. The subtitles were so bad that sometimes they were unintelligible to me. I can't tell how much remains from the original but it could be no nore than 10% now. The only advantage of having the original is that first release was quick and easy though very poor quality. I have done at least the same work (not in the first version but surely now) as the original translator. Sincerely I don't see much reason to still keep it.
Nevertheless I think I still do it.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:43 pm

No matter the amount of work that the reviewer had, i also think that the credits should be kept.

Well, the user did not know that someone else can take a subtitle and do a review, resync etc
And he thought someone (i) had plagiarized her subtitles.
The truth is that a review was made, even if it was little...

The problem of credits in these subtitles is that who did the review, already downloaded the subtitles without the credits. He had no guilt.
Subtitles are passed from site to site and in the way some smartass removes the credits.
Problem solved, original credits added.

Return to “General talk”