Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
vankasteelj

Subtitles getting out of sync, in a constant way

Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys ever encountered this. It's the first time it happens, I'm watching a show but for each episode, the subtitles get out of sync gradually, I need to manually add about 1sec every... 20 seconds maybe.

I already tried to switch fps within the subtitle, but it gets messy and isn't the problem apparently. I really just need to add a second of delay on the subs every 20sec of movie, getting a delay of 10 seconds at the start and about 2min near the end.

Any suggestion ?

AngelsBlood

Re: Subtitles getting out of sync, in a constant way

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:51 pm

Hello,
I was gonna say that if your using VLC Media Player,that a Download/DL called VLSub is something I recommend(it allows you to add a new option on VLC to be able to DL Subs from it directly&lists various found subs in English &once you find the file closest to the 1 needed,itll startup once you hit play...) vs. trying to find plus sync the subs file you DL. Its helped me alot & was rather easy to add to my VLC player. by going to https://github.com/exebetche/vlsub/ Click on the green colored tab that says "Clone or Download" on it to DL its ZIP file to save,the only file in it you need to worry about clicking to use is the "vlsub.lua" file.Once you do that,to look at the new option open VLC,&click the View option,@the bottom you'll see the"Download Subtitles".Next time you load the video you want on VLC,when you open the new"DL Subtitles" option,it'll open a window w/you video files name already listed in the search box,click"Search By Name"tab &you should get a list of files found in the window box,find the one thats the closest to the file you have&click the "Download Selection".Once its DLd,&you start playing your video,the subs already are loaded when you hit play.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:30 am

yeah you have to retime FPS, destination FPS is FPS of movie and source FPS - well normally you just can guess it. And then it could be even needed to add (or remove) some time to adjust subtitles properly.

vankasteelj

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 am

except that it doesn't work, the subtitles syncing problem isnt linked to FPS, that's why I asked here if you encountered this wierd issue too

oss
Site Admin

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:34 am

then it can be different release of the movie (DIRECTOR CUT)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 am

From what I understand, the out-of synch is happening 1. all the time and 2. gradually, right? This sounds like a FPS thing. I suppose you tried different changes (24/25/29.97)? And additionally tried adding or distracting a fixed amount of time?

But maybe it's a combination of things, explaining things getting 'messy'. We are talking tv episodes and the video file might have cuts to take out commercial breaks. The subtitle file might be made for a release without those cuts or different cuts AND for a different FPS rate AND with a different start, a typical difference for HDTV versus WEB-DL. That means you could fix the synchronisation using FPS (and possibly adding/distracting some extra time) only up to the first (cut out) commercial break. And from there you would have to sync again until the second commercial break. Etc. See what I mean?

This is possible to do, but a bit annoying job to find the breaks and fixing the sync. I would suggest taking another video file or another subtitle file...
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Is it 1 second every 20 or every 24? If it is the second case it could be the famous PAL-speedup or the inverse. If it is a TV show it could be 25 FPS played at 24.

For me it is very common and the first task to do when trying to find a matching subtitle is finding out whether the video is 24 or 25 FPS. In fact I am trying to get something useful out of the FPS field. Because it is not very useful if it is blank most of the time or incorrect which is also very common.

Return to “General talk”