Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
1976marmar

Translators signature (credits) missing in subtitle

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Question for administration of this site:
Hi. I am new to this site. Someone uploaded my subtitles (Croatian language) from [URL removed by SmallBrother], TV Show: Sirens 2014, on this page and erased all my signatures. Is this normal policy of this page to erase translators signature or someone did this before upload?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Translators signature (credits) missing in subtitle

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 pm

I doubt that your subtitle was taken from the URL you gave ;-) but never mind.
Is this normal policy of this page to erase translators signature or someone did this before upload?
This is definitely not normal policy of OpenSubtitles.org - on the contrary, general policy is that credits should always remain.

For this case: You can report the subtitles with missing credits. How to do this, see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2595
For the future: Upload your subtitles including credits to OpenSubtitles.org by yourself, before someone else does it.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:29 pm

I have some questions concerning credits.

First of all, is there a preferred/recommended way to write them? Beginning/end, duration, etc.?

Sometimes I forget to write them. what then?

What if I get somebody else's work and make some changes? Could I remove the original author if they are very big?

Funchalense
Site Admin

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:09 pm

I have some questions concerning credits.

First of all, is there a preferred/recommended way to write them? Beginning/end, duration, etc.?

What if I get somebody else's work and make some changes? Could I remove the original author if they are very big?
Well, I'll give my opinion.

It does not matter much that is at the beginning or end, as long the credits are in the subtitle..
There are translators who only write the credits at the end.
There are others that write in the beginning and at the end.

Duration, It depends on each translator.
For example in the translations that i do, the duration of the line of the credits It is 5 seconds.

No matter that many are the changes you have made in the subtitle.
I think the original credits should always be kept.

Keep the original credits and add your credits.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Agreed with what Funchalense wrote. In addition, credits should always remain untouched, and this applies to credits for translation, but also for editing or anything else that is inside the subs.
What do you mean "forget to write"? The idea is not to DELETE or CHANGE credits, but if they are not present in the subs in the first place, then what can you do, how can you know?
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:56 pm

It is a little hard to explain. In short that's because now I almost never write the SRT directly. I write some
XML and then generate the SRT and sometimes strange things happen in this conversion process :-)
Perhaps I should check.

Return to “General talk”